11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reflex
Reflex's picture

I was supposed to go on a Pelagic trip out of Southport this week-end but it was cancelled due to the strong 25-30 knot winds. Fingers crossed for next week-end. So Devster and I decided to take a look at two spots at Bribie Island which turned out to be a very rewarding day and took me to 200 Australian species photographed now. I think the next two hundred are going to be a lot harder to get.

A pair of very protective parents. We knew there must have been a chick around somewhere but didn't see it.

Beach Stone-Curlew.

Red-Capped Plover.

Red-Capped Plover chick. Tiny but very quick.

How to make Red-Capped Plovers.

Araminta
Araminta's picture

Stunning photos John. I don't like saying it, (not like me), but the tiny chick is so "cute"

M-L

Rick N
Rick N's picture

Great set of shots John.

Particularly like No.3 of the lone Plover.

HelloBirdy
HelloBirdy's picture

great series of shots and congratulations on reaching 200

Ryu
Canberra
Aiming for DSLR-quality shots with a bridge camera

cat.cornwall
cat.cornwall's picture

Where on Bribie did you go Reflex? 

Im looking at taking my boy there while he is on holidays. He would love to see a beach stone curlew 

Started bird watching because my 5 year old loves birds. I now enjoy bird watching very much

teganb02
teganb02's picture

That Red Capped Plover chick is soo cute! And I really like the lone Beach Stone Curlew nice pic. Are they a big bird?

Tegan - Melbourne Vic.

Devster
Devster's picture

Great shots John. I particularly don't like the how to make Red-Capped Plovers shot as I just missed it! Just kidding, you did well to get it since it only takes about 1 second then its all over. (Hate to be a bird)

teganb02 wrote:

That Red Capped Plover chick is soo cute! And I really like the lone Beach Stone Curlew nice pic. Are they a big bird?

The Beach Stone Curlew is one of the largest shore birds. Compared the the Red-Capped Plover, it is a giant!

Reflex
Reflex's picture

cat.cornwall wrote:

Where on Bribie did you go Reflex? 

Im looking at taking my boy there while he is on holidays. He would love to see a beach stone curlew 

There are two good spots on Bribie Island and both have bird hides, Buckleys Hole and Kakadu where I photographed the Beach-stone Curlew.

The Kakadu bird hide is best during the early spring and late summer when 10,000 – 15,000 migratory birds are passing through although outside of those times you will still see a variety of waders and seabirds.  There’s a clean modern bird hide at each end that gives great visibility of the birds on the lagoon and beach.  Access to the far hide is via a path at the back of the lagoon and shelter trees have been planted to minimise any disturbance to the birds.  The beach in front is closed to the public for the same reason.

The birds are about 560mm tall.

Good luck.

Samford Valley Qld.

WhistlingDuck

Congratulations on the 200 mark!. Well done.

Saw my first Beach Stone-Curlew just a couple of days ago - very unusual looking bird. 

I like #3 of the Red Capped Plover too - looks good against that blurrly background of the sand and sea.

pacman
pacman's picture

congrats on the 200

Peter

rawshorty
rawshorty's picture

Congrats, Reflex. And like Devster a great 200th bird to get.

Shorty......Canon gear

Canberra

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawshorty/ 

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube