200,000 native ducks shot as pests of rice crops

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
zosterops
zosterops's picture
200,000 native ducks shot as pests of rice crops

Rather surprising numbers, so much for duck shooting being 'banned' in NSW: 

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/200000-native-ducks-shot-as-pests-of-rice-crops-20140802-zzrjj.html

Elsie
Elsie's picture

That is so sadcrying I can't believe how many were shot!

Woko
Woko's picture

The usual ridiculous behaviour by the supporters of the violence industry. The O'Barrell government has lots to answer for. Is there a need for a rice industry tax to be used to protect native birds & their habitats?

Night Parrot
Night Parrot's picture

I think that last statement about Bali is significant. I think the water itself would be a bigger attraction than the rice. Water is a habitat for a wide range of duck food such as frogs and insects and it would be interesting to find out just how much rice the ducks eat on top of their normal water-borne fare.

And why people want to shoot native ducks I'll never understand. Surely there are better ways for gun-lovers to get their kicks in a country that has millions upon millions of feral animals.

Night Parrot
Night Parrot's picture

I think that last statement about Bali is significant. I think the water itself would be a bigger attraction than the rice. Water is a habitat for a wide range of duck food such as frogs and insects and it would be interesting to find out just how much rice the ducks eat on top of their normal water-borne fare.

And why people want to shoot native ducks I'll never understand. Surely there are better ways for gun-lovers to get their kicks in a country that has millions upon millions of feral animals.

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube