Abby's Big Year 2022

167 posts / 0 new
Last post
sue818
sue818's picture

Wow, Abby, what stunning pictures and birds... love the Regent Parrot and the Rufous Fieldwren but so many of the others as well. Two of those would be lifers for me as the Regent Parrot and the Gilbert's Whistler still elude me. Congrats on hitting 200 with a beautiful shot of the Flame Robin. I'm eager to see what comes next.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Thanks Sue. Hope you are having a nice time away.

After Mildura, we went to Wyperfeld National Park for two nights.

208. Mulga Parrot

209. Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo

210. Major Mitchell's Cockatoo - Icing on the cake for this trip, thought we might be lucky to see them in winter.

And a couple of replacement shots.

Singing Honeyeater (39)

Southern Whiteface (21)

Red-capped Robin (63) had a few close to our camping spot which was neat!

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

On our way home, we stopped into Crusoe Reservoir which is near Bendigo. I had got some information on finding a Owlet Nightjar.

It wasn't out sunning itself when we saw, hunkered down, which I don't blame it, it was a very chilly day.

211. Australian Owlet-nightjar (Lifer) - hopefully this is enough to ID it.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

That Mulga parrot is stunning. Fantastic photo. Also love the Major Mithchells.

I reckon I can see enough of the Nightjar, wouldn't be much else of that colouring in a hollow?

Some nice additional/upgrades as well. Lovel shot of the Red-cap.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Wow Abby, some brilliant photos! You are definitely queen of the Blue-bonnets, and you absolutely got the best White-winged Fairywren shots :) Love that kissing Blue-bonnet shot. And your Regent shot is very cool!

Thanks for being an amazing tour guide for our Northern Victoria trip, happy to take a trip under your guidance any time :) 

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

I miss one from our trip, just was waiting on ABID on facebook for Identification. 

212. Little Crow - going on the white at the base of its throat  (Lifer)

Then today I went for a walk along Maribyrnong River, and found a couple of birds to add to the list for this year.

213. European Greenfinch (no factsheet)

214. Crested Shrike-tit (it was across the river from me, bit of an EBC shot)

And I love how this shot came out.

Another prey animal looking for food.

sue818
sue818's picture

What a great trip! Love that Red-capped Robin giving quite a stare. Looking forward to more, Abby. You will love Darwin and the NT.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Some more great photos, even you EBC shots are good. Tha Nankeen Kestrel shot is awsome.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Great shots there Abby, glad you got the Crested Shrike-Tit :) That Kestrel is beautiful, love how they hover. But the Little Crow!! Awesome! So cool that you got it! Where was that?

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Just catching up on all your latest pics now Abby, so many gorgeous birds and fantastic photos. Well spotted with the Owlet-Nightjar, I hear them at my place and am always looking in hollows but no luck for me yet.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Just a couple to add this week. 

Managed to find the Satin Bowerbird that Tom saw earlier in the year at Beaconsfield. 

215. Satin Bowerbird

And going through my list there is a couple of common birds that I have overlooked to add yet.

216. Eurasian Coot

Also, I'm just adding a couple of updated or extra photos that I'm happy with from this past week.

While I was waiting to pick my son up from school, found a friendly Golden Whistler. (159)

On another walk, saw this White-browed Scrubwren singing which was neat. (153)

And then at Koo Wee Rup (Sybella Ave ebird) saw about 6 Hardheads which are always cool to see. (40)

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Love the golden whistler, such a confiding bird to pose in the light. Impressive amount of birds you convinced to perch perfectly on old tree branches - especially the singing honeyeater. Although it looks like you did not have the red-capped robin's permission for a photo.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Yes the Golden Whistler is stunning, the others are all good to.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Thanks Michael and Dale.

Today we went for a drive down to Cape Schanck, walked out to the point, no whales unfortunately but 3 birds to the list. 1 lifer, and 1 lifer in Australia. 

217. Kelp Gulls - Australian Lifer. Have seen these in New Zealand.

218. Australasian Gannet

219. Black-browed Albatross (Lifer) EBC shot.

And just a couple of shots from my phone of the scenery today.

sue818
sue818's picture

Great shots of the Golden Whistler and the Hardhead and then Cape Schanck for a little icing on the cake. Wonderful to see the Albatross.

Contact me (when I'm home again) if you need any tips for the Darwin trip.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Agree with Sue some great shots there, must have been good to see the albatross from shore. You have done well with the flight photos. Also love the scenery.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube