Alex's Big Year 2021

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow what wonderful shots of the YTBC's! They are all great shots, and a fabulous shot of the Water Dragon.

sue818
sue818's picture

Gorgeous shots, Alex. Not sure I could pick a favourite but a good flight shot is hard to achieve so well done.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Glad to see your pacing yourself Alex, It is a cracking pace this year, All the new comers are going hard, with lots of great photos and numbers. I see your work has improved by a long shot, you are consistantly posting great photos. Enjoying the results, thanks for sharing.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

I have been pretty busy with work and other things, so not a lot of birding, but I got to go up to the Hunter this weekend, and visited the Hunter Wetland Centre near Newcastle. Saw 40+ species in a short walk, highly recommended if you are in the area. 

72) Spangled Drongo - was very pleased to see these, as it was only my second time. 3 of them posed nicely for me, as they were focussed on catching some flying ants. 

73) Little Egret - the wetland is famous for its egret rookery - all 4 white egrets nest here, as well as hundreds of ibis, cormorants etc. I've posted a solo shot, as well as a comparison with the Great Egret that really shows the size difference. 

74) Cattle Egrets - the photo also shows other birds, but I thought I'd post an environmental shot showing their roosts in the rookery. They are not in their distingctive mustard coloured breeding plumages at the moment, so look very similar to Little Egrets in this plumage, but with yellow-ish beaks

75) Magpie Goose - being a goose in a tree. This is a reliable spot for Magpie Geese which are resident in the central pond. It does look funny seeing them roosting like this though. 

And bonus damselfly to keep things interesting - a Common Bluetail

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Still at the Wetland Centre: 

76) Brown Goshawk - had a rapid flyby and I was glad to snatch even this poor EBC shot 

77) Hardhead - a pretty common duck, but I liked the colours in this shot. The ponds were all overrun with different weeds, this one perhaps salvinia

78) Scarlet Honeyeater - sooo exciting, a lifer for me! A flash of red far far up at the top of a flowering gum, at the very limit of resolution, and gone in a flash - but I snatched an awful EBC shot, and I'm very happy to have that :-) I thought initially it might be a Mistletoebird - but I got enough of a look and shot to show it was my elusive Scarlet, the Honeyeater I most wanted to see in NSW. Now to see one close up :-) 

79) Australasian Swamphen - I do love these colourful little dinosaurs. 

80) Grey Teal - another common duck, quite like the weed effects

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Then went to Stockton Bridge where I'd hoped to catch a lot of shorebirds on the Sandspit - nothing doing, as it was full low tide and the birds were dispersed. I did find some birds, including a lifer though :-) 

81) Avocets aplenty (Red-necked Avocets)

82) I saw 3 small grey birds, and stalked them forever to get close enough - and was rewarded with Grey-tailed Tattlers, a new bird for me. They were really wary. 

A few bonus shots - a self portrait with a Godwit, fun with Blue Soldier crabs, mud, glorious mud, and an immature Caspian Tern stretching after preening. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

On Sunday Sue and I took a walk around my local patch, the Landing Lights Wetland near Sydney airport. For a pretty industrial area, its a lovely little patch, with a good variety of habitats attracting all sorts of birds. It was about average for birds, with 35+ species recorded for the walk, nothing too fancy but a nice variety and some lovely light on the hedgerow birds. 

83) Golden-headed Cisticola - gave us a lovely pose, singing his heart out in his croaky little way 

84) Double-barred Finch - an EBC shot (thanks, casuarina) but I was happy to see them again, didn't see them at all last year. 

85) Brown Honeyeater - along with the New Hollands, the resident honeyeaters

86) Chestnut Teal in the warm morning light

87) Yellow-rumped Thornbill - showing all his ID marks, and having a bit of a chat to the finches, wrens and silvereyes sharing his tree

and then a couple of bonus birds just because i like the light so much 

Superb Fairywren - eclipse male exploring a rather magnificent flower

New Holland Honeyeater doing the same

A couple of Red-browed Finches enjoying some mutual grooming / having a cuddle

And just for fun, a Black Jezebel butterfly

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow Alex your photos are amazing!

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Thanks Abby. This year I'm really trying to up the quality of my photographs as well - but I have no shame in posting EBC shots where I don't expect to get a better picture!

sue818
sue818's picture

Great work, Alex. It was fantastic light and we were lucky with the variety. You are using the new lens & camera combo very well. Love the Cisticola and the Jezebel. Thank you for a very enjoyable morning.

I hope to post tomorrow as my eyes are finally coming good although they still look awful as a blood vessel has burst as well! I am never offering to help clear our gutters or cut the neighbour's vine again!

Devster
Devster's picture

I'm jealous you guys get to go birding together. Just little ole me up here in QLD. Anyway great set Alex and I liked your portrait shot. Helps put a face to the name. So many cool shot hard to pick a favourite. I do like your bonus shots of the Jezebel and the Damselfly as well

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Dev, from the place I'd rather be, don't worry as soon as all the border stuff is over and I can get on a plane I'll be heading north and will be sure to look you up :)

Devster
Devster's picture

dannyka6 wrote:

Dev, from the place I'd rather be, don't worry as soon as all the border stuff is over and I can get on a plane I'll be heading north and will be sure to look you up :)

Please do, I would love to go birding with any of our BIBY members

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube