Alex's Small Year 2019

260 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

47) Red-tailed Black Cockatoo - very striking birds that seem to float rather than fly - their wing-beats are unfeasibly leisurely. The red darts under their tails are incredibly striking - unfortunately couldn't capture that on camera. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

48) Bar-shouldered Dove - one of 3 new doves & pigeons I saw on this trip

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

49) Silver-crowned Friarbird - very like our familiar Noisy Friarbirds but only found up North, these were in a huge flock feeding in flowering gums. I never managed to get close to them, so a poor photo I'm afraid. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

50) White-necked Heron - a lovely graceful heron, fishing in the Katherine River

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Now this one could be a bird ID challenge.... a very peculiar pose, which he held for about 5 minutes before disappearing into the gloom of a mango tree. I never did get a conventional shot 

51) Blue-faced Honeyeater

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

52) Straw-necked Ibis

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

53) Forest Kingfisher - what a lovely bird, photo doesn;t do him justice. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

For me, the bird of Katherine was the Black Kite - ever present, they circle over the town in their  hundreds, gliding over the parks and streets and construction sites, and concentrated in huge flocks at the town tip. Even if they are a "shite-hawk" as my old dad used to say, they are awesome flyers and very cool to see in such numbers. 

54) Black Kite

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

55) Look again - not a Rainbow Lorikeet, but a Red-collared Lorikeet. My old Morecombe shows this as a race of the rainbow, but I see that it has been re-classified into a full species, Trichoglossus rubritorquis - and eBird and PK have it that way, so I'm claiming it :-) Note the orange collar and full orange chest with no yellow

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

56) Torresian Imperial Pigeon - this was a bit special, I'd been really hoping to see them, and didn't - until I saw these two in a tree in the Darwin airport parking lot on my way out :-) 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

And so back to Sydney. A few locals from the Royal National Park nearby 

57) Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

58) Australian Wood Duck

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

59) a bit more cryptic, as well as very poor photo, but nonetheless a White-throated Treecreeper

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Some more from the little park near me. 

60) Pied Currawong

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

61) Willie Wagtail. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

62) Spotted Dove

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

63) Common Starling

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

64) Chestnut Teal

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

65) Australian Pelican. It was a good sighting, he was fishing the Cooks River and I got a good look at him using that incredible beak. But it was pre-dawn and overcast, so I had to push the ISO even to get this. 

pip-lb
pip-lb's picture

Some great birds Alex. I really have to get myself to the NT at some point. Some of those territorian species seem fantastically exotic to me. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

It would be well worth a special trip - a week or so based around Darwin would add a LOT of birds to your average birder's list. I found it a bit overwhelming actually - trying to cram an hour of birding in after work, and so many new birds all around. There were literally dozens that I couldn't identify or photograph, and I still added about 10 to my life list. Might have to take my family up there and go on a Kakadu mission. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

A few more from around home & work: 

66) Australian Brushturkey - common and unafraid in the bush near Manly. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

67) Welcome Swallow. These guys live under the pier at Manly Wharf, and are often sunning themselves when I get off in the morning. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

68) Australian Magpie. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Pied Currawong - this guy was nesting in a discarded tyre - didn't realise that or I wouldn't have got so close. 

(Edit - Oops - duplicate - I'll have to add another #69)

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

70) Red-whiskered Bulbul - I could NOT get these guys to pose in the sunshine for me, so very dodgy shot I'm afraid, into the light inside a mulberry bush. They were loving the mulberries. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

And then another trip to the wetlands at Sydney Olympic Park. What a great place for birders. They have a hide, unfortunately placed a bit far from the water, but very productive. Hard to photograph from though, even at 2000mm equiv zoom. 

71) Red-necked Avocet. There are hundreds of these resident there. Possibly my favourite wader. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

72) Red-kneed Dotterel - sorry about the poor quality, a very small bird a long way away. You can also see sharp-tailed sandpiper and pied stilts

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

73) Black-fronted Dotterel - another small bird a long way away! I did get a decent look at him with the binoculars, but when I tried to approach for a photo he was off. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

74) Bar-tailed Godwits

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

75) Caspian Tern - a juvenile resting in the shallows with a few seagulls. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

76) Buff-banded Rail - only the second time I've seend these, and the first time I have had a chance to photograph them, so I was very excited when these guys came out and lingered on the path. A great sighting. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

But my most exciting sighting of the day was 

77) White-bellied Sea Eagles. They were roosting on trees on the Parramatta River, and are the parents of SE-23 & SE-24 on Eagle Cam here https://www.sea-eaglecam.org/video.html . Birdlife are doing a fab job with their Sea Eagle program, and I felt very lucky to see them. Apparently it is unusual for 2 chicks to reach this stage (normally the weaker one doesn't survive) so they are hoping for 2 fledglings this year. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Well done Alex, some lovely shots there. The challenge does make you look closely at any bird you spot.

pip-lb
pip-lb's picture

I've never seen a Bulbul, they really are something. Very cool.

Great shots Alex.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Just got back from a work trip to Geraldton, WA where I managed to get a few more bird pics, and a couple of sightings for my life list. 

Replacement for #69 duplicate earlier is the Rufous Whistler. I wasn't able to get a good picture despite trying hard - he was flitting about in the shady undergrowth- but it is identifiable. Lovely song. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

#78) Australian Ringneck - a first for me. Also an Every Bird Counts shot unfortunately - was just unable to get focus lock in the thick casuarinas and dull light - but as this is a lifer for me and I'm unlikely to see one again soon, I'll post it anyway. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

#79 Grey Shrikethrush - another lovely songster, I tracked him down through thick bush as I could hear him from hundreds of metres away. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

#80) Western Corella (Cacatua pastinator)- had a great sighting of these nesting. Thought they were Little Corellas at first but longer beaks and larger size distinguishes them. Long-billed Corellas have been introduced to perth, but this was up at Greenough River near Geraldton, and none of these had red on chest. The darker fronts confused me for a while until I realised it was dirt - they have been digging and some of them are very dirty birds! A new bird for me. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

81) Laughing Dove (Spilopelia senegalensis) - introduced from South Africa, I think, certainly familiar from there. Restricted to SW WA grain belt. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

#82) Singing Honeyeater - had a lovely sighting of a family of these. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

#83) White-plumed honeyeater - for once I got one of these guys to pose nicely for me. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

#84) Sacred Kingfisher - he gave me 5 seconds to capture this shot and he was off - gorgeous little bird. 

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Some nice sightings, your lucky to be able to get around, certainly increases chances seeing more species.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

And then a few new shorebirds at the Greenough River mouth. 

#85) Red-capped Plover was a new bird for me. Tiny little guys running through the sea-wrack along the shore. Quite shy and I had to stalk them for a long time to get any images at all. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

#86) Red-necked Stint was also a lifer for me. In a mixed flock with Curlew Sandpipers (although only stints shown here). Tiny little birds that move like clockwork toys. I was able to get to about 25m away moving slowly and taking lots of shots before they spooked and flew further down the lagoon. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Here are a few from this weekend: 

#87) Cattle Egret. Never seen these in their breeding plumage before, a nice sighting. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

A bonus Red-browed Finch just cos I like it :-) 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

#88) Fairy Martin. Normally difficult to photo, these guys were flying down to a mud puddle to get mud for their nests. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

89) Black-faced Morarch. Was very pleased to get this photo, only the second time I've seen one of these. Migrant breeder in Sydney area so not very common. 

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube