100-400 @ 5.6 fantail

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
ed
ed's picture
100-400 @ 5.6 fantail

Canon 100-400L at 400mm, 5.6, 1600iso, 1/320, manual focus.

GeorgeP. (and others) a little soft but still good.

Tassie

Nice one ed, I imagine it would have been fairly dark to as they don't usually venture out of thick cover do they.
As a matter of interest where did you find him?

GeorgeP
GeorgeP's picture

Thanks ed. As you've mentioned by e-mail, the apparent softness will sometimes be the result of one or more of
slow shutterspeed, hand held at long focal length, or stray focus. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting this. BTW, it looks fine to me.
Cheers,
George

Cheers,

George
Melbourne, VIC

ed
ed's picture

Yes, Tassie most of the time in the deep cover and not very often still, I was lucky with this fellow, he stayed still for a good minute allowing me to sort settings and get a couple of good shots The shots were taken out on the Townsville Towncommon. Rufous can normally be found there at this time of year if you know were to look.

Ed Townsville NQ

Birdgirl2009
Birdgirl2009's picture

ed you seem to have very little noise for such a high iso. The photo looks very sharp

tarkineus
tarkineus's picture

Critically spot-focused and nicely composed within a tangled framework, ed. Nice.
Gee, there are so many species I'm wondering if I'll ever get to see more than the smallest fraction of them.

Regards, "Tark" - Olympus 4/3rds colour

ed
ed's picture

Birdgirl,even pushed to 3200iso the 40D and 100-400 give good results, sometime a bit of adjustment needed in the editor, but gererally acceptable for on line viewing. Try this link and have a look at it full size http://www.flickr.com/photos/22001271@N05/3621848680/in/photostream
Tark, just a matter of keeping at it, always something new to see.

Ed Townsville NQ

Birdgirl2009
Birdgirl2009's picture

Thanks for the link - I'll enjoy looking at some of the others too, if you don't mind

tarkineus
tarkineus's picture

Yes Ed. I was just wishing that instead of "settling down" I had bought myself a Winnebago with an in-built bird hide in the roof to roam Australia in!

Regards, "Tark" - Olympus 4/3rds colour

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube