Big Year Challenge 2021 starts now!

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Holly
Holly's picture
Big Year Challenge 2021 starts now!

Here are the rules for 2021:

• The challenge runs for images taken from Jan 1 2021 till Dec 31 2021. Last day for submissions will be Sunday Jan 9 2022. 
  • Each participant will have their own thread for each challenge that they post all their photos in to: E.g. Holly's Big Year 2021 
  • Every Bird Counts (EBC) - as long as it is clearly identifiable. Except - birds must be 'in the wild' so no birds in zoos etc and domestic fowl
  • Only photos taken by you in Australia within the Year (time frame) can be submitted
  • Quantity not Quality - only your personal capacity for embarrassment (and EBC rule above) limits you! There is no judgement here!
  • 1 Species (including all subspecies)  = 1 Point - but feel free to post bonus pics of previously posted birds as you get better photos
  • Species are as per the BirdLife Australia Working List: https://www.birdlife.org.au/conservation/science/taxonomy 
  • For each new bird you add, please include the fact sheet (where there is one). To do this go to 'related fact sheet' and type in the name. It is located below the 'body' of text when you create your post. Give us a shout if you need help.
  • Rule adjudication by popular vote / howling mob (and admin stepping in where needed!)
  • Comments (nice ones) encouraged on all threads, those of us who want advice / criticism can ask for it
  • Please abide by all government regulations re COVID restrictions
  • Read and follow the BirdLife Australia ethical birding guidelines: https://www.birdlife.org.au/documents/POL-Ethical-Birding-Guidelines.pdf
  • Winner takes all - fame, adulation, glory, bragging rights (and a Birds in Backyards prize pack)

Just a heads up for everyone. It is highly likely that the BIBY website will be rebuilt in some capacity this year in line with BirdLife's technology overhaul. We are not sure what that will look like yet but I will make some provisions for continuing this challenge somehow even if the site changes.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Thanks Holly - I'm enjoying the comp already :-) 

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks Holly. Hope you had a nice break and are keeping well in these interesting times. On a side note the link https://www.birdlife.org.au/conservation/science/taxonomy  does not seem to be working for me. Maybe I'm not holding my tongue right. lol

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Holly, hope you enjoyed the break and that this year delivers all that you would like it to do. Stay safe and well and enjoy the birds. I am amazed at what was delivered last year so this year should be most interesting. 

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Hi Dev, that link just has an extra space at the end... this one should work:

https://www.birdlife.org.au/conservation/science/taxonomy

For the stats I have downloaded the latest version (v3 August 2019) and filtered to just sp level.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Thanks Holly! And nice to meet you :)

I'm hoping this is the right place for bird name clarifications, seeing as it covers the Working List and the factsheets... the Black-Winged Stilt has a factsheet, but isn't in the Working List, although Pied Stilt is.

Google tells me it should be Pied Stilt, but Google gets it wrong sometimes :)

sue818
sue818's picture

Hi Tom, maybe I can shed some light. Pied Stilt (Himantopus leucophalus) is now correct for the Australian bird and the name Black-winged Stilt is reserved for the subspecies (Himantopus Himantopus) which is not seen in Australia. At one stage the Australian was also called White-headed Stilt so it can be really confusing! Therefore using the Australian working list is the best way to keep our names the same for the tally and we are keeping to one representative of the species e.g. Rosellas and Ringnecks have numerous subspecies. 

The fact sheets may still be getting updated as Holly has someone working on them. Hope that clarifies it a bit.

sue

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks Sue. Tom if you include the factsheet you can find, it will flag as to be corrected in my stats sheet which is better than me missing it completely. 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Thanks Sue, that makes perfect sense.

Karen, will do. 

Holly
Holly's picture

TommyGee wrote:

Thanks Holly! And nice to meet you :)

I'm hoping this is the right place for bird name clarifications, seeing as it covers the Working List and the factsheets... the Black-Winged Stilt has a factsheet, but isn't in the Working List, although Pied Stilt is.

Google tells me it should be Pied Stilt, but Google gets it wrong sometimes :)

Hey TommyGee! Argh - yes the list on here will be an old one that we haven't fully updated yet - but flag any of them with me and I can go in manually and change names!

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Hi Holly,

I just found and joined the BIBY yesterday, in need of ID help. Is it too late to attempt/join this challenge? It sounds quite motivational/inspirational as a beginning bird photographer.

Cheers,

Michael

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Hi Holly,

I just found and joined the BIBY yesterday, in need of ID help. Is it too late to attempt/join this challenge? It sounds quite motivational/inspirational as a beginning bird photographer.

Cheers,

Michael

sue818
sue818's picture

Hi Michael,

I am sure that I can speak for all of us and say you are most welcome to join this challenge. Alex was the instigator and a number of us joined in the fun. Never too late to start as you can include anything from the current year not just from now. Check the few rules such as it must be identifiable and note that we are using the Australian Working List for clarity regarding names. Also limited to species level. I look forward to your posts.

Sue

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Second Sue's comments, welcome, looking forward to seeing some more of your photos.

Never too late, never too young or old, just join in and have some fun sharing with others.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Many thanks,

I will give it a crack, once I learn the rules..

:)

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Welcome Michael! I only found this forum late last year and I posed the same question. The gang here are a lot of fun and totally supportive. It's never, ever too late to start!

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube