Big Year Challenge Stats for 2022

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture
Big Year Challenge Stats for 2022

Welcome to Big Year Challenge for 2022.

The charts in this post will update automatically whenever the master list is updated by Karen or Sue.

Last updated

Species SeenTotal % Species Seen

Big Year Challenge 2022 Leaderboard

Big Year Challenge 2022 Unique Species Leaderboard

New in 2022

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Hi Karen, I think you have missed Abby off the unique species list? In fact on closer inspection, there may be others as well.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks Dale, I think I have fixed this now.

sue818
sue818's picture

Apologies, that could have been my fault but now my son gave me a lesson, we should be right!

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

No problem Sue! I think it was some rows being inserted in the Summary sheet? I locked down the Leaderboard range because I thought maybe my formula was doing something dodgy to it. Will keep an eye on it but let me know if the locked range causes any problems.

sue818
sue818's picture

Yes, silly me... now I can sort! I did correct the range (another lesson) but forgot the Unique Leaderboard. Apologies, Karen. I wonder if others know ' Ctrl f ' will Find on the Google sheet so they can search before posting a double-up?

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Love checking out the stats, even this early, so interesting to see the unique species and new species. Can't wait to see what's next!

sue818
sue818's picture

Wow, sightings and pictures of 49.2% of the total species in Australian territories is a very BIG Year!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

It would be some achievement to get 50%, given we are all eastern based. I think the travels have bolstered the numbers nicely.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Creeping up there after the latest additions. Still time to reach 50% but getting more difficult unless those pelagics deliver some more beauties!

sue818
sue818's picture

I've checked it out and we need 7 more birds to reach 50% of the species.

Apart from the sea-birds we have some other possibilities. A trip to Lord Howe Island would pay off or another visit to Cairns for the returned shorebirds but a Broad-billed Sandpiper or a Lesser sand-Plover could be seen elsewhere. Perhaps Michael might get a photo of a Lewins Rail at Barren Grounds if they ever come out of cover!  Pacific Baza, Little Lorikeet, Noisy Pitta, Black-eared Cuckoo, Baillon's Crake and Black-tailed Native-hen are also missing possibilities. Can someone find a Freckled Duck or some type of Bittern other than Black Bittern? Perhaps Michael, overlooked some WA possibilities like Western Corella or Western Whistler?

Not sure that I will add many more but a few are possible in NSW around the Capertee area or South Coast. Unfortunately, the continual rain and flooding make it difficult to travel and use a camera. The roads are badly damaged everywhere.  I hope that you are all safe and travelling well. Keep your feet dry.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Thanks Sue, not sure when my next pelagic is due, but I think I can add a few more with a review of previous trips, and perhaps some EBC shots, which I am hesitant to post at all!

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

I had 3 missed opportunites from the trip: Pacific Baza at Julatten, Black-tailed Tree-creeper at Timber Creek and Grey-headed Honeyeater at Cloncurry but cannot locate my EBC shots so think I deleted them already. Sounds like the 'fish that got away' story! Pelagics and returning migratory birds should help. Fingers crossed.

sue818
sue818's picture

Wow, 3 more birds and we hit 50% of the listed Australian species!

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Can we do it?? Hahaha no pressure!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Easy, we will smash it (maybe by just a few).

I got at least 1, just need time to process. Might have a couple more when I review the pelagic sets.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

With us approaching the pointy end of this fierce competition, I thought I would provide some additional stats to help us all get our numbers up. Below is a chart for each of us, showing species we saw last year, that we haven't seen this year. This may identify a few obvious ones that we perhaps thought we had posted already.

I have spot checked the results and I think my formulas are correct but if you find any errors please let me know.

These charts will automatically update when the sightings sheet is updated. Apologies Sue I have not had much time to help with that this year, too much work, uni and small child stuff going on! Thank you for keeping the records for everyone.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Karen, very helpful... cannot believe I've not posted some of these! Don't worry if you are busy as I don't mind updating for us. The worksheet is fantastic.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

That's great Karen. Some of those were hard to get the first time, but I will give it a crack!

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Thanks Karen; I have a domestic duck on file! 

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Thanks Karen, wow there is a few on that list that I can add, a couple that I can't, not for a lack of trying :D

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube