Devs Big Year 2021

176 posts / 0 new
Last post
Devster
Devster's picture
Devs Big Year 2021

Happy New Year all! Well I'm off to a late start and have a lot of catching up to do. I haven't done a lot of birding and this about the eigth time I have started putting these up. So hopefully I mnage to get it done :)

On the 1st of Jan I went to a local birding spot called Mungarra Reserve in Petrie. I met up with a mate who has been into photography for years but has just started photographing birds.

1. Channel-Billed Cuckoo - Certainly a lot of these noisy birds around there at the moment

2. Australasian Figbirds - Also a lot of these. While not as loud as the Cuckoos still make a bit of a ruckus

3. Noisy Friarbird - Living up to its name and being noisy

4. Lewins Honeyeater - Not a great shot but I love the greens in it

5. Bar-shouldered Dove - Looking like a deer in the headlights

6. Double-barred Finch - How cute is this little one.

7. Rufous Whistler (Female) - This is one of those birds I didn't even realise I had until I put the images on the computer

8. Cicadabird (Male) - I heard this guy not too far away and played one call. He imediately came down to check us out. No fact sheet on this one

9. Pacific Black Duck - I quite liked this photo with the water droplet on the bill

10. Dusky Moorhens - This one was out feeding the young ones. Again, very cute

11. Little Black Cormorants - I love these guys emerald green eyes. I was waiting for there to be a squabble as this one was hogging all the room, but the other just sat there.

12. Striated Pardalote - This is the Nominate Race with the yellow eyebrow and the red dot on the wing

13. Rainbow Bee-eater - Complete with bee. Not the best photo of these amazingly colourful birds. I hope to improve it but this will do for now.

14. Willie Wagtail - Again not the best shot and one I hope to improve

15. Australian White Ibis - Another I need to upgrade at some stage as the light behind the bird made it hard

sue818
sue818's picture

Nice to see that you have made a start, Dev. I agree that the Channel-billed Cuckoos are incredibly noisy but what a great shot of them.  That would be my favourite although I am envious of the Cicadabird.... another bogey bird for me. Not sure where they go when I come by!

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Welcome to the 2021 comp, and what a great start! I love theChannel-bill photo too, very striking - what murderous looking birds they are! And I've never seen a Cicadabird, how cool. Nice capture with the Bee-eater too :-) 

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks Sue and Alex. They normally illude me too but this Cicadabird wasn't as shy as others I have seen.

A few weekends ago my partner and I took the kids (6 of them as 2 were at sleepovers) to Currmundi for a bit of fun. Such a beautiful place for swimming as you have the creek running into the sea, so you have river and surf to choose from. The surf was very rough this day so we hung out at the river. I did take my camera but not a lot of birds. Mainly silver Gulls and Crested Terns. I did see a couple of Ospreys off in the distance but it was overcast by then and the photos were horrible.

16. Australian Brush-turkey - This young one was bullying the Torresian Crow that kept trying to pick up scraps near it

17. Torresian Crow - You can tell it is a younger one by the pink gape. It was very persistant trying to get scraps from the young Brush Turkey but the Turkey was not willing to share.

18. Silver Gull - The main bird here. There were a plethera of them fighting for scraps of any food they could get from either fisherman or picnicers that weren't keeping an eye on their food. This was my favourite of them from the day but I did manage a few other nice ones as well

19. Greater Crested Tern - Again, plenty of these guys around. They weren't shy either. Some were even diving right next to people swimming in the creek.

20. Noisy Miner - Again I think this is a younger one. It had started raining by this time so it was sheltering in these trees near our car.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Somenice shots Dev - the muted light can actually help with some of the darker birds, love the detail in the Brush Turkey. 

Did you say 8 kids?! My admiration for your impressive total last year just went through the roof :-) 

Devster
Devster's picture

Alex Rogers wrote:

Did you say 8 kids?! My admiration for your impressive total last year just went through the roof :-) 

Haha thanks Alex. Yes my partner has 4 girls and a boy and I have 3 boys so together we bring balance to the force (4 boys and 4 girls) Her youngest has DownS as well which makes life interesting. We are quite blessed that our kids get along so great as they are mostly around the same age.

sue818
sue818's picture

However do you find time for bird photography? Some lovely shots again, Dev... I like the composition of the Silver Gull photo.

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks Sue. I chose that photo of the Silver Gull because I liked the composition. It is hard but I choose to make time or I burn out. Luckily my ex and I still get on well so we have equal share of the boys.

Devster
Devster's picture

The other afternoon I went dow to a local wetland that I haven't been in a while to look for a recently reported Black-necked Stork. I dipped on the stork but here are a few other birds I managed to get while looking.

15. Australian White Ibis - replacement 

21. Australasian Swamphen (AKA Purple Swamphen) - My what big feet you have

22. Masked Lapwings - I think I will try to get a better shot of these since they are soo common but this will do for now.

23. Black Swan - In the nice afternoon light, making sure I didn't get too close

24. Hardheads - I like the composition of this shot

25. Australasian grebe - In breeding plumage

26. Brown Honeyeater - This is a very heavy crop but this little one was doing this weird pose and sticking it's tongue out

27. Tawny Grassbird (No Related Factsheet) - Could not get this one to come out behind the branches

28. Red-backed Fairy-wren - This guys was just being a bit cute

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

I know what you mean about having to make time - nothing like a busy parent for being efficient with time :-) 

Another lovely set. Those Red-backed Fairywrens are stunning - I've never seen one, so its lovely to see yours - you've caught a great pose and I imagine they are difficult to get great shots like this, you have to get that catchlight in the eye to distinguish it from the black head feathers - nicely done. 

I went back and looked at the Silver Gull shot more closely - I agree, its a lovely shot - understated at first, but just says "beach" - I really like it. 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Welcome to the race Devster :)  I thought your Channel-billed Cuckoo was my favourite, until you posted your Red-backed Fairywren... what a stunning little bird! 

Devster
Devster's picture

About time I added some more photos. While I haven't been out much, I did manage a trip on the Australia Day long weekend (I took Monday off to make it an even longer one). I took my girl down to an Air B&B in the Goldcoast Hinterland called Wongawallan overlooking Mt Tamborine. It was so relaxing as we didn't take the kids. We don't get many of these kidless weekends so we made the most of it. We did the Tamborine Rainforest Sky Walk which was rediculously overpriced for what it was. Will never be doing that again. Barely any birds, just deafening cicadas, some Lewins Honeyeaters and Scrub Turkeys. Very Dissapointing. From there we went to Thunderbird Park. This was a great place and one we will take our kids caming as their were so many things to do. We had some lunch there and watched the Lorikeets come in for a feed. Only Rainbows, no Scaley's but it was still fun watching them carry on. From there we did the Glowworm Caves and while they are artificial caves, the glowowrms were spectacular! After that we visited the Oxenford Weir which is where most of these photos are taken as the local birds were doing some fishing and doing it well.

29. Pale-headed Rosella - These two were just off in the distance from where we were having breakfast at our B&B

30. Laughing Kookaburra - This one was waiting for any scraps around the cafe at Thunderbird Park

31. Rainbow Lorikeet - One of my favourite photos from Thunderbird Park

32. Striated Heron - Now we are at the Oenford Weir where these birds were fishing in the late afternoon. Quite successfully I might add. I put a ohoto with the head in and head out so you can see the difference in the neck length.

33. Magpie-lark - While this one wasn't fishing. They have been photographed fishing the weir and catching fish.

34. Little Egret

35. Eastern Great Egret - This is Eddie. He is one of the most photographed Egrets around as this is a popular spot for some bird photographers who like to get some fishing action shots

36. Domestic Ducks - I quote liked this photo of them quietly navigating the water on the calm side of the weir

37. Australasian Darter - Not the best photo but I've always wanted to get a photo of them with a speared fish

38. Australian Pelican - This one was still in breeding colours with the Salmon Gular (Throat Pouch) and bright yellow and blue on the bill.

39. Crested Pigeon - No he wasn't fishing. TBH I don't think he even knows what he is doing there. lol

40. Eastern Osprey - I was hoping this one would fish in front of me. Instead it just flew straight over the top of me directly in the sun

41. Black-fronted Dotterels - How cute are these little guys. They were feeding on little bits coming over the weir

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Nice work Dev, beautiful photos. I think you have mucked your count up, you have 38 twice, as the Pelican shot is tacked on the end of 37 the Darter, and again as the 38. Crested Pidgeon.

Looking forward to more.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks Dale. I was just seeing if people were paying attention. Well done :) I'll fix that up now

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Loving your photos! 

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks Abby 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Lovely set of photos Dev, very nice. Your Rainbow Lorikeet portrait is great (they are just jewels of birds) but I really like the fishing shots - the Egrets are lovely pictures, and great catch on the darter! I love the dotterels too (little clockwork birds) and your osprey is really decent for such a challenging shot. Great to see them all. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Wonderful set of photos, Dev especially that Great Egret with the fish and all fluffed up. You get a sense of the surroundings in the shot.

Devster
Devster's picture

Some more from my trip a few weeks ago. We rose at 5am at our lovely B&B to be greated with a very filling and amazing bacon and eggs with avo orange juice and salad. One of the locals came by to see what we were eating then off we headed. As we headed down the road I saw something fly in the bush  so I stopped, ran up the hill. took a few shots then continued on our way to O'Reilly's. When we arrived, there was cloud over the mountain so visability was not great.

42. Sulphur-crested Cockatoo - This is our early morning visitor that came to check out our breakfast.

43. Pheasant Coucal -  This is what I saw fly into the trww on our way. A very EBC shot as it was munching on a cicada in very bad light. Seems to be missing some tail ferathers as well.

44. White-headed Pigeon - I like this shot, drinking from the puddle in the rain

45. Australian King-Parrot - Plenty of these guys there everywhere. Never realised this name had a hyphen in it

46. Crimson Rosella - This one was having a munch on the grass. You can see it's still a Juvenile as it stil has some green on its back.

47. Eastern Yellow Robin - This little fluff ball came so close. We have had these guys eat out of our hands there before.

48. Eastern Whipbird - This one was feeding this juvenile

49. Yellow-throated Scrubwren - Lots of these guys dancing around in the undergrowth

50. Australian Logrunner - One I dipped on last year. Very hard to get a good photo as I had the ISO up to about 10000 and still not sharp enough

51. White-browed Scrubwren - A poor shot but I liked the giant mossie like insect he had

52. Paradise Riflebird - Every year its the same with these birds. Always high in the trees obscured by every branch possible

53. Black-faced Monarch - Very enquisitive birds. Not as much as the Robins but still allow for a photo. This one was on the treetop canopy walk calling his little heart out.

54. Red-Browed Finch - These guys come and clean up the unwanted seed from the King Parrots and Rosellas

55. Regent Bowerbird - This was about the only male I saw and he was far away. I like this shot as it shows the rain.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

My word, Dev, you take some beautiful photos! That finch is just lovely, and the osprey from your earlier pics is magnificent.

Devster
Devster's picture

TommyGee wrote:

My word, Dev, you take some beautiful photos! That finch is just lovely, and the osprey from your earlier pics is magnificent.

Thank you so much Tom. Really appreciate the compliment

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Some fabulous birds, and great photos Dev. I'm so keen to get to O'Reilleys for a couple of days. I reckon you did very well in that low light. Love the fact that you have a Logrunner on a log. Great to see all those special birds

Devster
Devster's picture

Alex Rogers wrote:

Some fabulous birds, and great photos Dev. I'm so keen to get to O'Reilleys for a couple of days. I reckon you did very well in that low light. Love the fact that you have a Logrunner on a log. Great to see all those special birds

Thanks Alex. It didn't even occur to me about the Logrunner. That is quite funny. Well picked up.

sue818
sue818's picture

Some fabulous birds & photos, Dev. You did really with those low light shots... Logrunner, Yellow-throated Scrubwren & a Whipbird, wow. I also like the Regent Bowerbird, beautiful shot. Sometimes the surroundings add to the story.

Devster
Devster's picture

sue818 wrote:

Some fabulous birds & photos, Dev. You did really with those low light shots... Logrunner, Yellow-throated Scrubwren & a Whipbird, wow. I also like the Regent Bowerbird, beautiful shot. Sometimes the surroundings add to the story.

Thanks Sue. Normally I like a tighter crop but the rain in this shows what the day was like.

Devster
Devster's picture

A few more from O'Reillys

56. Wonga Pigeon - This one was feeding near the feeding stations of the King Parrots & Rosellas. These guys don't shut up when they start calling. I heard someone say when you hear a Wonga Pigeon calling you Wonga when it will stop.

57. Large-billed Scrubwren - How cute is this little one

58. Superb Fairy-wrens - Speaking of cute. These two were cuddling then the male had a scratch. Looks like he's saying "ahh thats the spot right there"

59. Pied Currawong - Check out his feet

60. Brown Thornbill

61. Brown Gerygone

62. Easten Spinebill

63. Brown Cuckoo-dove

64. Wedge-tailed Eagle - As we were leaving the mountain I had to pullover for a pitstop behind a tree. My partner shouted out there's a huge bird of prey over here, I think it's a Wedge-tailed. Well I could not finish fast enough

sue818
sue818's picture

Beautiful, Dev, hard to pick afavourite but I do like the Spinebill shot. Do you go to O'Reillys the guesthouse or into the surrounding area?

Devster
Devster's picture

sue818 wrote:

Beautiful, Dev, hard to pick afavourite but I do like the Spinebill shot. Do you go to O'Reillys the guesthouse or into the surrounding area?

Thanks Sue. Just the main public areas and walking tracks.It's a bit expensive so I normally just leave ridiculously early in the morning and do a day trip

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Some more awesome shots, especially the smaller bids (not easy to take photos like this) love the Scrubwren., Brown Thornbill and Gerygone shots, and the Spinebill is a cracker. 

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

WOW! What amazing list of birds! Some there I would really love to see, especially the Regent Bowerbird.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

More wonderful photos Dev. I especially like the Brown Thornbill, that's a great angle and shows so much detail.

Devster
Devster's picture

Wow I am falling behind. Time to put some more photos up. Here are a few of the locals. 

65. Rock Dove - Actually this was from my trip. I would love to upgrade this photo as these are quite pretty in the right light.

66. Pied Butcherbird - I quite like how he is framed by the soft greens of the leaves

67. Apostlebird - Unusual to only photograph one. I think his group left and he was staying to check me out

68. Blue-faced Honeyeaters - this is a goup of juvs. I hope to get a better shot but I liked the 3 young ones with their greeny yellow faces instead of the bright blue of the adults

69. Helmeted guineafowl (no factsheet for these guys, probably because they're not native) These guys live down at the cemetery and have since I started birding in 2014. I think some of the locals regularly feed them.

70. Welcome Swallow - Not the greatest photo as the sun was behind the bird and it was late afternoon but I quite like the action shot

71. Cattle egret - A heavy crop as these guys were coming in to roost for the night

72. White-breasted Woodswallow - Hawking insects and perched high in the trees

73. Little Friarbird - This one had just fed the young one and was off to find more food. You think the young one looks big enough to fend for himself but he was accepting handouts. Look at that yellow throat.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

A great set of birds, I'd love to add many of them to my list but they aren't seen this far south. I love the Channel-Billed Cuckoo, the finch and the Striated Pardalote especially! And the Black Duck is lovely

sue818
sue818's picture

Wonderful, Dev, I especially love the Helmeted Guineafowl. Some nice flight shots as well ... you caught the Swallow!

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Great photos and birds Dev. I especially like the Apostlebird, that's a very arresting pose. They're such striking birds, I've yet to see one but I know it will be worth the wait.

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks for your comments guys. I love reading them.

First of all I have a replacement Australasian Figbird shot. I love this photo surrounded by the flowers.

Replacement for 2. Australasian Figbird with photobombing bee

In the next lot I have a bit of a treat. Well it was a treat for me anyway. Some from a trip to Mt Glorious. Hope you like them.

74. Satin Bowerbird - This looks like a young one

75. Rufous Fantail - Showing off his butt. Unfortunately I didn't get a nice one with him looking this way.

76. Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove - This was a treat. There were literally dozens calling but it took some time to actually get one in the semi open. It's a bit noisy but I think this is one of the best shots I have of them.

77. Green Catbird - This is a very young one that was well hidden in the foliage. If it wasn't for one of the parents coming in to feed it we woud have never of seen it. Such a little fluffball with a blad looking head.

78. Noisy Pitta - This was also a real treat but ridiculously hard to photograph. This is the first time I have seen them in the trees. He was about 7 foot off the ground. Is a bad shot but still happy to get him as I don't think i photographed one of these last year.

79. Grey Fantail - Not a great shot and one I hope to improve

80. Bell Miner - These were everywhere at my mates place in Cashmere. Takes a while to see them and they were way up in the trees. These two were feeding on insects.

sue818
sue818's picture

Fabulous set, Dev... I can see why you appreciate that Rose-crowned Fruitdove as it is usually so hard to get a clear view. Love the Pitta as well, nice catch and the Figbird looks beautiful in those surroundings.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Wow some real beauties there Dev, just absolutely love the Rose-crowned Fruitdove and the Pitta!!

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Another amazing set of photos Dev! I would love to see the Rose-crowned Fruitdove one day as well as the Pitta!

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I have a couple more treats this lot. Again probably a bigger treat for me, but I'm excited to share them.

81. Tawny Frogmouth - This father and young ones were at a birding location not too far from me. It was such a delight to see these guys in the late afternoon. The dad (Apparently the dad looks after the nest during the day) checked us out when we first arrived then quickly realised we were no threat and went back to looking like a stick again. lol. I heard a report that the young ones fledged the very next day so I was lucky to get them on the nest. P.S. can you see both the young ones in the second photo?

82. Little Pied Cormorant

83. Powerful Owl - Now this was a huge treat as I have not photographed one of these for at least 2 years now. I received reports that it was at one of my local birding spots and went down after work to check him out. He was not interested in us at all and barely opened his eyes. Still, such a magnificent and majestic bird

84. Galah - Just near my place

85. Long-billed Corella - Another on the side of the road near my place

sue818
sue818's picture

Gorgeous shots, Dev and while always a treat to see Tawnies, I love that Powerful Owl. Can just see the second chick and what great timing on your part. Lovely shot of the Long-billed Corella as well... quite an unusual looking bird rather than pretty!

I had no success today when checking the usual haunt for both of them as a huge data centre is being built right on top of the area... no birds around with all that noise etc.  Not even a Brown Thornbill!

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Neat shots Dev! Do love the powerful owl shots.

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks Abby and Sue.

Now some shots from my trip to Lake Samsonvale the other week.

86. Spangled Drongo - This guy was off in the distance carrying on. An EBC but you can tell by that fish tale

87. Brown Goshawk - This was one of the reasons the Drongo was going off. This Juvi & and adult were hanging around. But they too were not happy for some reason.

88. Grey Goshawk - This was the main reason for all the commotion. None of the birds including the Brown Goshawks liked this Grey Goshawk being around. First time I have seen one of these here.

89. White-bellied Sea-Eagle - It was nice to see 2 of these cruising around for a moment. Don't often see them here but occasionally you do.

90. Wandering Whistling-Ducks - Another bird I haven't seen here before.

91. White-faced Heron - Quite a few of these around. I managed to get this ok photo of one in flight

92. Chestnut-breasted mannikin - These kept their distance. Would like to upgrade this photo

93. Golden-headed Cisticola - Always a pleasure to see these guys. Not as obliging as they usually are

94. Australaisian Pipit - This guys sot out of the grass. In bad light but an ok photo

95. Pied Stilt - Formally Black-winged - I love how these guys bark like a dog

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Wonderful photos Dev. You just keep delivering :) The owls, the fruit dove, that magnificent grey goshawk. Very nicely done.

sue818
sue818's picture

Great set of birds and photos, Dev... two Goshawk species is impressive and that Grey Goshawk is beautiful. Not sure how you managed to get a Reed Warbler to pose like that in the open!

Devster
Devster's picture

sue818 wrote:

Great set of birds and photos, Dev... two Goshawk species is impressive and that Grey Goshawk is beautiful. Not sure how you managed to get a Reed Warbler to pose like that in the open!

Thanks Sue. Thats because it's a Golden-headed Cisticola. They are a lot more obliging than the Reed Warblers :)

sue818
sue818's picture

Oops! Of course it is, should have checked before posting. I have to agree that they can be very obliging and quite photogenic. 

Devster
Devster's picture

Here's a few from my recent trip to Bribie Island. 

96. Sooty Oysercatcher - Just one amongst all the other shore birds. I mainly see the Pieds

97. Lesser Sand Plovers - (No factsheet on these) They were quite a distance away so a bit of a heavy crop

98. Red-necked Stint - In with the Sand Plovers. Hope to get a better photo

99. Little Wattlebird - Making a racket on the path as they do.

100. Spotted Dove. Not the most glamorous of century birds but I feel a nice photo

101. Crested Pigeon - All fluffed up

102. Eastern Curlew

103. Red-capped Plover (with chick) - They are sooo cute. Look like popcorn with legs. A very large crop

104. Australian Pied Oystercatchers - The one on the left is immature as it still has black on the bill and a brown eye. The fathers are lighter and slightly mottled as well

105. Beach Stone-curlew - I can't believe these are endangered. There are 4 here on Bribie plus I heard of another 4 in another location on Bribie. Seem to be breeding well

106. Caspian Terns

107. Little Terns - The most I have ever seen at once

108. Pacific Golden Plover - Colouring up ready to go on their big adventure

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Another wonderful set Dev! 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Ah, so many fabulous shots Dev. That Rose-crowned dove! Awesome bird, and great photo. I'd love to see a Powerful Owl too - I love it that they have bird-of-prey motifs all over their fronts :-) Cool shorebirds too, the pair of Oystercatchers are great, and I've never seen Beach Stone-curlews - very cool. 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Great birds Dev. Looks like a good trip!

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube