Devs Big Year 2021

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

They are great photos, and to get the kangaroo, just brilliant.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

A couple more I forgot to include from last time.

150. Whistling Kite

Replacement Australasian Swamphen (21) - I like this photo better and still shows their big feet

Replacement for Blue-faced Honeyeater (68) - You can even see the pollen on his head

Replacement for Rufous Whistler (7)

Replacement for Spangled Drongo (86)

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Wow Dev - those Black-necked Storks are amazing - and I'm jealous of all those gorgeous honeyeaters in your yard :-) 

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Your work never ceases to amaze me, some more fantastic photos.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Wonderful set of photos again, Dev. Love the pair of Black-necked Storks (male & female by eye colour!) but the Blue-faced Honeyeater is also a cracker... and a beautiful flower to boot.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow Dev, love your Black-necked Stork photos! I have only seen these at the zoo. 

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.

Due to lockdown and bad weather I haven't had a chance to do much in the way of birding. I did however managed to get out last weekend for a bit but it was extremely windy. Blow a dog off a chain! At one point part of a tree broke off and nearly hit our car. Luckily only some of the smaller debris hit it and no damage was done. It did cause us to sit a little higher in our seats though.

151. Brown Falcon (Dark Morph) - This took off from a fence post and was navigating the high winds with Torresian Crows hot in pursuit

152. Ground Cuckoo-shrike - (No factsheet) One of the Highlights. There were four of these navigating the grass to get out of the high winds but still foraging for food

153. Australasian Shoveller - Another at the dried lake. This is by far my worst pic of the comp and didn't even know I had it until going through the photos. We don't see many of these up here so I'll have to take it. Hopefully there is enough to ID

154. Black Kite - This was at Lake Clarendon which is just a few small water holes. The main lake was all but dried up.

155. Grey Teal - In one of the water holes

156. Blue-billed Duck - Havent photographed one of these is years aas they arn't common up here.

157. Pink-eared Duck - Another duck that is not common up here although more common than the Blue-billed

sue818
sue818's picture

Oh wow, Dev, some great birds... including my bogie bird, Ground Cuckoo-shrike. Green-eyed again. I also have not seen a Blue-billed Duck in ages. So pleased you are out of lockdown.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

A nice of birds there Dev! I do like your photos of the Pink-eared Ducks.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Never seen a Ground Cookoo-shrike - very cool. 

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Some more lovely pics Dev, particularly love the Pink-eared Duck, what a beautiful bird (and beautiful photo).

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Fantastic range, love the Pink-eared and Blue-billed ducks, but they are all great.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

Well it's been a long while since I have been out as I moved house. It was my birthday the other weekend and I managed to go to Charlotte Plains for 4 nights with my partner on a birding expedition. Over 60 species of birds photographed but only 1 lifer. Did improve a lot of shots though even though my camer focus I felt was playing up a lot. Here are a few from the trip.

158. Yellow-throated Miner - This one was collecting material from an erosion blanket. I'm guessing it was for the nest

159. Brown Treecreeper - These were everywhere at the place we were staying

160. Australian Ringneck (Mallee race) - I for the life of me can't figure out why these are not sperated yet. They are all in different locations and all look different, but they are the same bird apparently. Lots of these there

161. Mulga Parrot - The best shots I have of these. This one was happy just feeding on the ground in front pf us while we were photographing other birds. Didn't even realise they were there until someone pointed them out.

162. Chestnut-rumped Thornbill (No Factsheet) - Plenty of these around but were not very cooperative. I chose this shot as you can see the Chestnut Rump.

163. Brolga - Nice afternoon light on this parent and immature one. There were not huge numbers of them there but we did see them nearly everyday

164. Diamond Dove - These were everywhere, while they are very cute, they were particularly flighty unless you were in a car, then you just about run them over before they move.

165. Plum-headed Finch (No factsheet) - This apparently was a rare find here. Only got photos of one the first day and never saw them again so I was lucky

166. Rufous Songlark - These guys are such characters and their song is so unusual but unmistakeable. I didn't even realise I had photographed the nest until I was processing the photo

167. Red-capped Robin - Quite a few of these there. This one came in close to investigate me. Sooo cute all fluffed up

168. Pallid Cuckoo - This one was so curious and kept following us around

169. Yellow-rumped Thornbill - Little flocks of these jumping around on the ground or deep within cover. managed to get this one out in the open but not for long

170. Splendid Fairy-wren - Not as many of these around as I had hoped but enough to see them every couple of days. Didn't seem to be as curious as our Supurbs so I was lucky to get this shot. This was my partners favourite bird and she would chase them for hours trying to get a photo.

More to come

sue818
sue818's picture

Gorgeous set of birds, Dev. Great to see you out and about again. Which one was the lifer?

Plum-head Finch are sometimes in huge numbers and other times I cannot find a single one. The Splendid Fairy-wren would be one of my favourites but so is the Red-capped Robin and the pallid Cuckoo. I probably would not have that nest either as I concentrated on the bird.

I also have a liking for the Mulga Parrots are there is something about the feathers which just glisten in the sunlight. Hope to see more soon... maybe from the new neighbourhood?

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Another great set Dev, some really top notch photos. Thanks.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

sue818 wrote:

Gorgeous set of birds, Dev. Great to see you out and about again. Which one was the lifer?

Hope to see more soon... maybe from the new neighbourhood?

Thanks Sue. The lifer is yet to come. Still processing my 3000 images. lol. I have moved more in suburbia to be closer to my kids and their school so unfortunately it is nowhere near as bountiful with birds as my old place was

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Fantastic set! Enjoy chugging through the 3000 shots. 

I had to goggle-map Charlotte Plains, looks like a super spot.

Devster
Devster's picture

Some more from my trip out to Charlotte Plains Qld

171. White-necked Heron - A few of these giants flying about

172. Variegated Fairy-wren - Again Very hard to get a decent shot as they are always under cover

173. Black Honeyeater - The only one I saw the whole time and this one is a female by the looks with the duller colouring

174. Grey-crowned Babbler - A lot of these guys about being absolute larikins. These remind me of 3 guys in a bar, the middle with his arms around his mates while they sing a song.

175. Blue Bonnet - Very flighty and not many of these about. I just happened to have my camera on me when this one flew in the tree above me. It saw me and was gone 2 seconds later.

176. Budgerigar - Lots and losts of these in flocks from 20- 50. I particularly liked this one in the afternoon golden light.

177. Australian Raven. They are on the road everywere but as soon as you hop out to take a photo they are gone. This is heavily cropped. You can even see the heat haze on the road.

178. House Sparrow. This was in at Cunnamulla. We don't get many of these in Brisbane. This is a nice coloured male. I even have photos of these eating nectar which I didn't realise they did.

179. Emu - I just love these guys. Plenty of them out there. A few dead on the road was well which was a bit sad

180. Red-winged Parrot - Another extremely flighty bird that I could just not get any quality photos of. These two was the best i could do.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Wow Dev, some more shots, which make me jealous. Please keep them all coming.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Another beautiful set of birds and shots, Dev. I think the Varigated Fairywren is my favourite but I do love the Bluebonnet as well. What a wonderful and rewarding trip. 

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube