Devs Big Year 2021

176 posts / 0 new
Last post
Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks to Sue's reminder I went through some of my photos and found some I am missing. I also managed to get an Eastern Koel the other day and an Australian Hobby after work today when it was reported about 20 mins from my place.

210. Eastern Koel - AKA pacific Koel, AKA Storm Bird (one of) - Was calling in a tree at my partners place but didn't find it until it flew into the neighbours yard late one afternoon. It decided it was going to eat some of the fruit from the palm tree. Very bad light but will do for an ID.

211. Cotton Pygmy-goose (Female) -  (No Fact Sheet) I found these in one of my folders unprocessed. I mustn't have realised I photographed it. It is a very cropped in shot but there is enough to show it is the female with the streak through the eye, light underneath and darker on top. I included 2 photos to help with ID

212. Australian Magpie - Notice how different the back is from the southern varieties. I think this is the Black-backed Magpie and judging by the pure white on the neck a male. The females usually have a greyer more dirty looking neck/nape

213. Common Myna - On the neighbours antenna. Ready to take over the world. lol

214. Australian Hobby - Beieve it or not this is actually a lifer for me. Not the best perch but I'll take what I can get. As you can see, there was actually a nest nearby with the other adult in it. A lot futher away so a bigger crop again.

215. Brahminy Kite - Also found this in the unprocessed images. Again a very cropped in shot but stil IDable

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Wow Dev, the Hobby is awsome, I don't like taking photos on wires, but blokes gotta do what a blokes gotta do. The detail on the Magpie is also superb.

Thankyou.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Wonderful Dev, glad the prompt helped. I am surprised that the Hobby is a lifer but that makes it all so much more fun... great shot. The Magpies around me are usually black-backed as well and that one is giving you the eye. I am also pleased to see the Cotton Pygmy-goose as it has been ages since I have seen one and they are beautiful.

Dale, I don't mind shooting birds on wire as that is a common roost or lookout.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Fantastic magpie portrait Dev! I And I love the Australian Hobby, they have such beautiful faces, I am yet to see one.

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks guys.

I went out to Mt Glorious on the weekend to see if I could add a few more to my Tally. I did manage some new one and some upgrades as well.

216. Wompoo Fruit-Dove - These are so hard to see in the fig tree. I have a back and front view.

217. White-throated Treecreeper - Lots of these getting around, can't believe I hadn't photographed one this year.

218. Topknot Pigeon -  I haven't phhotographed these for a few years so I was pleasantly surprised when some flew up into a tree nearby. While they were quite far away, at least they wern't at the very top of the tree where they usually are. Got a wing spread shot as well.

219. Pale-yellow Robin - One of the birds I was tarketing but they would not play the game. Certainly a lot shyer than the EYR. This is the only shot I managed and it is a very big EBC shot

220. Russet-tailed Thrush - (No Factsheet). Another bird that would not fully cooperate.

Now for some upgrades

Green Catbird - Upgrade #77

And my Favourite photo of the day

Noisy Pitta Upgrade #78

A non Birdy photo to finish it off

I think it's a Red-necked Pademelon but not 100% sure

Pademelon

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

As always, loving your work. More great photos. Love the colours in the Noisy Pitta.

Thank you.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Wonderful lot, Dev... especially that Noisy Pitta. Stunning little birds but ages since I've seen one here in Sydney.

Devster
Devster's picture

Thanks Sue & Dale

Some more from some weekend and mid week activities

221. Australian Owlet-nightjar - Received a notification mid week that this cutie was back at a regular hollow so I ducked down at lunch time. Imagine my surprise when I took the photos to discover not one but two!

222. Comb-crested Jacana - Went to a place called Sandy Camp wetlands and it was full of bird activity. There were several Jacanas about. With some adults and Immature ones. I particularly like this shot the best.

223. Magpie Goose - These two parnts decided that they wanted to change ponds and cross with their Goslings right in front of us. Needless to say we were very happy they did. Sooo cute!

224. Scaly-breasted Lorikeet - After Sandycamp we went on a board walk at Wynnum as I hadn't been there before. Wasn't long before these ones were in a tree eating the nectar. They were all in the shade so hard to get a decent photo.

225. Black-fscerd Cuckoo-shrike - I can't believe I haven't photographed one of these yet. Even this was an EBC. I hope for an upgrade

226. Torresian Kingfisher (No Fact Sheet) AKA Collard Kingfisher & Mangrove Kingfisher - Lots of these calling. Sometimes get these confused with Sacreds but they have a white chest, Long heavy bill and are a stockier bulld

Here's a few others from the day and some upogrades.

Peaceful Dove Upgrade for #114

Plumb-headed Finch Upgrade for # 165 - Actually I had never seen these guys so far East so I was like, is that what I think it is!

White-breated Woodswallow Upgrade for #72. These guys had a nest. Apparently they only raised some chicks in October but had them again. I think this immature one may be from the last batch as it was still a bit clingy

Not an upgrade as such but very cute Dusky Morehen chick

Again not an upgrade as such but an inflight shot of the common Pac Black

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh, some fabulous photos again Dev! Love the Moreton shots (and the landscapes - isn't modern phone camera/software combo just amazing?) and the doublet owlet-nightjar shot, but the Pitta just blew me away - gorgeous photo of a stunning bird. I'm so sad I haven't been able to get to QLD this year after trying so many times - but your photos are some  consolation, thanks :-) 

Devster
Devster's picture

Such lovely comments Alex, thank you. Hopefully next year you will be able to visit. I'm happy to take you to a few of my spots if you visit the Brisbane area.

Devster
Devster's picture

Going through a few more photos from this year I found some more that I can't believe I haven't posted. 

227. Australian Wood Duck - I actually took these photos on the 1st of Jan but somehow missed them

228. Common Bronzewing - From my old place

229. Straw-necked Ibis - Love the sheen on this one. He actually ate a cane toad in front of me but the fence got in the way.

230. Little Corella - I quite like this portrait shot.

231. Eurasian Coot - I love this afternoon shot. Can you see a bottle opener with the reflection

sue818
sue818's picture

Another great lot, Dev. Somehow I failed to post my previous comment to say I'm quite envious of one Owlet-nightjar but two, Wow!

I love the last set as well especially the iridescent Glossy Ibis & Bronzewing... also like the Little Corella shot. Fantastic sightings this year.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Great work Dev, some lovely shots as always.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Great find, Dev! I am guessing you start to lose track of who makes the count as the year begins again.

Devster
Devster's picture

So I think this will be my last set for the year. Not sure if I will be able to do it for a while as I have some personal stuff that I need to deal with. I wish everyone well for the holidays.

232. Great Cormorant - A very big EBC but you can see the yellow on the face which no other Cormorant has.

I decided to visit the Toorbul High Tide Roost to see what was about. Nowhere near as many birds as there usually are but here a few I managed to get.

233. Bar-tailed Godwit - I got very excited and thought I had a black-tailed Godwit here but alas it was not. They said the upperparts were not suited to a Black-tailed. Doh

234. Whimbrel - About 30 of these at the high tide roost. This one has a tag!

235. Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - I didn't even see this while I was there. Not till I was going through the photos that I saw it. Sneaky little blighter.

236. Common Greenshank - Making a guest appearnce was this lone Greenshank

237. Dollarbird - I heard this guy before I saw him. Very unmistakeable call

I think that is me done for the year. Thanks for all the great photos everyone and who knows what 2022 will hold.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Love all the shorebirds Dev. Hoping you can join us in the new year for the next in the series of Big Year Challenges.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Wonderful set to finish with, Dev... especially love the Common Greenshank. Hoping to see you join in sometime next year, it has been fun and I have enjoyed your photos and participation very much.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Awesome photos Dev, love the Dollarbird, to me they sound like a cross between a duck and a kookaburra :-). Well done with such a great tally and such quality pics.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

A nice set to finish on, the Greenshank is a bit special, and I love the way you caught the gloss on that ibis, beautiful. A great tally for the year, and I've so enjoyed seeing your photos - the quality is something I aspire to. Hope all is well, and that you will join us again this new year. 

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow another amazing set of photos. I really do enjoy looking at your photos Dev.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Congrats an taking out the prize, loking forward to more this year.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Congratulations, Dev, a well-deserved win. I tried to pick a favourite but just too many that I love.

Devster
Devster's picture

Thank you so much guys. It's always fun seeing the different varieties.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Congrats Dev :) I've really enjoyed your birds over 2021 and you've got some real beauties right at the end. Those owlet-nightjars are stunning.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

What a great set at the end, I just love those shorebird shots! Some beautiful close, detailed photos - stunning! I hope you can join us at some stage in 2022.

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube