Karen's Big Year 2021

167 posts / 0 new
Last post
karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Just wanted to add a replacement pic for 6. Laughing Kookaburra, with this recently fledged one in my backyard. There are a couple of young ones around, lots of crying coming from them. I think they must have nested nearby. I get the young Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos from time to time but they don't stay long. These young kookaburras have been around for the past week or more.

My magpie family are still around too, mum and dad with their 3 young. A pair of Common Bronzewings took over their nest after the young fledged, but I haven't seen any activity there for a while so not sure what happened.

Two separate Noisy Friarbirds nested, one nestling fell from one nest and I found it on the ground when I noticed mum and dad tending to it there. I put it in a makeshift nest in a hanging basket and they continued to feed it. It fledged just over a week later.

Love this time of the year seeing the next generation arrive.

sue818
sue818's picture

Definitely a Nankeen kestrel. Love the Kookaburra and great that the temporary nest site worked so well.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Yes, the Nankeen Kestrel is identifiable (and a contender for best EBC lol - although I have some strong contenders coming up!) Well done on the Friarbird rescue! 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Yes, the Nankeen Kestrel is identifiable (and a contender for best EBC lol - although I have some strong contenders coming up!) Well done on the Friarbird rescue! 

sue818
sue818's picture

Karen, I beg to disagree with Alex as my first Rufous Fantail at 148 has got to be a contender for EBC of the year! Your Nankeen Kestrel is a much better shot. Merry Christmas.

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Lots of entertainment in your yard - impressive rescue basket nest!

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks, yes am so glad the Friarbird fledged, though ironically they are the ones I tend to chase away sometimes as they do not share with anyone, they reduce the biodiversity here. But I still had to rescue it (and refrained from chasing away parents once I knew they were nesting here).

Ha ha Sue, I'm sure most of your EBC shots would be great shots for me lol!

And I think I'm calling it for 2021, I took some photos at my mum's place last week but nothing new to report. I beat my 2020 score so am happy with that.

sue818
sue818's picture

A great result for the year, Karen. Perhaps the White-throated Nightjar might make it for next challenge.

Thank you for creating the fantastic worksheet which has made it so easy to keep track of our sightings. Very easy to update after your instructions and I'm happy to help again.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks Sue, and thanks for the photography tips, I am planning a stakeout tonight to try to get the White-throated Nightjar.

I have also set up a sheet for 2022. Do we need to check for any species changes in the WLAB list?

sue818
sue818's picture

Well done, Karen. It seems to be the same 2019 version on the Birdlife website and I don't know when it might be updated. Holly may be the best person to ask about that e.g is the Major Mitchell's Cockatoo now called Pink Cockatoo?

Good luck with the Nightjar stake-out... wish I could be there.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Nice catches Karen. Hope you have had a nice Christmas and New Years.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks Abby :-). Happy new year to you too.... I'm starting on my Big Year 2022 sightings, just aiming to increase my tally each year - so far so good!

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Nice work Karen :) a decent total, certainly better than mine! Let's make 2022 a bigger and better year all round. 

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Hi Karen, apparently the Blue-Faced Honeyeater is now the White-Quilled Honeyeater...for no reason that I can imagine but so I've been told!! Good luck for your 2022 year :)

sue818
sue818's picture

Danika, I think the name White-quilled Honeyeater is only applied to the northern form (sub-species) of the Blue-faced Honeyeater because of the white in its wings. Perhaps someone will get a photo this year just for comparison.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Ah that makes more sense, thanks Sue. Another reason to take a trip!

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube