Karen's Big Year 2022

120 posts / 0 new
Last post
karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Just one new one from my morning walk today. 

118. Australian Hobby

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

After a slow start this year, your kicking on nicely. Loving all your photos, so many I have yet to see. Too many to choose favourites, Imlike them all.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow Karen, it looks like you are having an amazing time. Awesome birds and photos. I'm looking forward to our trip in Sept.

sue818
sue818's picture

Another great set of birds, Karen... that Kingfisher is a stunner with the light on the wings. It must have been wonderful to see so many different birds and the trip seems to have gone really well.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Home now, but found one more from NT.

119. Torresian Crow

And another two from home today, one from my morning 'lap' and another while working outside when the sun came out.

120. Red-browed Finch

121. Yellow-tufted Honeyeater

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks Dale, I will probably slow right down again now, only seeing new birds at home. But I will try one or two bird trips if I can.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

And thanks Abby, it was a fantastic trip. We are already thinking about going back!

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks Sue, I expect my current high unique bird count to drop significantly once you start posting from your trip :-). 

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Love seeing the Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters. Nice finds. 

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Yep that Yellow-tufted Honey eater is lovely, and a nice photo to show it off.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Enjoyed all those birds from your NT trip. So many new ones in such a short time! That stork is something ridiculous, but not quite as threatening as the croc.

sue818
sue818's picture

Those Yellow-tufted HEs are gorgeous. Lucky you to have such wonderful birds visiting.

yes, I do have a few birds to add when wifi is dependable. We were without phone coverage in some places as Optus must have beaten Telstra to the area. At least the public phone was free! Great trip so far. NT is glorious for birders. So very pleased you had a wonderful time.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Wow Karen, looks like you had an incredible trip. So many wonderful birds, plenty I'd never heard of :) 

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

It was a great trip, we are already planning to go back!

It's been a busy few months for me with work and uni and Leo... but while working outside during the week I heard a bird call that I wasn't familiar with, followed the sound and spotted a red head. Of course had camera handy so snapped a pic of him. A rare visitor to my place, nice to see.

122. Scarlet Honeyeater

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh, what a lovely find! Nice shot!

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks Alex :-)

I'm also hearing the White-throated Gerygones a lot lately. I thought I may have posted one from earlier in the year, but seems I haven't. There is usually at least one nesting pair at my place each season, sometimes two.

123. White-throated Gerygone

sue818
sue818's picture

A couple of beautiful birds, Karen and great shots. Your place produces some great birds. sure you will enjoy a return visit to the NT.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Love both the Scarlet Honeyeater and the White-throated Gerygone, great photos. Your backyard and surrounds is amazing.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

That scarlet head is a standout in the yellow grevillea. The white-throated gerygone would be a new one for me; looks like Spring has certainly sprung at your place!

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube