Sigma 150-600

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
rawshorty
rawshorty's picture
Sigma 150-600
saturnv78
saturnv78's picture

Very interesting, huge lens, 2.8kg! I have the Tamron 150-600, will be interesting to see how the Sigma compares..

Lachlan
Lachlan's picture

Whooo! Looking forward to Photokina. Looks like there should be some good stuff this year. 

timrob
timrob's picture

I've just taken the plunge and bought this lens. Yes it's a monster in size and weight so there will be some issues I'm sure with some of the extended walks that I do. Only taken about 100 shots so my non-technical review is below:

- heavy   ....  but I knew that before I bought it.  You really need either a harness or a tripod or both for this monster

- significant investment at $2000 for the sport model which I bought

- focusses really fast

- almost silent auto-focus

- supposedly dust and moisture proof but I'm not game to try either

- auto-focus range can be set to suit your shooting conditions

- permanently attached tripod collar.  May not suit some but I have it in "portrait mode' so it does not interfere with what I'm doing in landscape and I use it as a support in portrait.

- manual overide of auto-focus.  Yes they have achieved this and you don't damage the lens doing it.

- apparently will auto-focus with the new matching sigma 1.4 teleup to f8.  I haven't tried this as I dont own one, but that would take max to 840mm

I've posted the pics below elsewhere in the forums but here they are again.  Am I happy?  Yes it is a significant step up from the Sigma150-500.  Is it worth the money?  Well it's still significantly cheaper than a 500mm or 600mm Canon prime, and at this stage they are in my fantasy land, but I am really happy. 

pacman
pacman's picture

have you tried a monopod and walk with the lens on your shoulder, that is my style with the Canon 400 DO

Peter

timrob
timrob's picture

Yes Peter I have, but mostly I rely on a harness that transfers the weight from my neck to my shoulders. This is the one that I use but there are probably others:  http://optechusa.com/dual-harness.html   This allows me to have my binos on the left and my camera on the right (I'm right handed) and when walking I tend to cradle the camera and lens rather than carrying in my hand or supporting it with the harness.

The camera/lens combo is around 5.5Kg and I do not (usually) stay in one spot, so managing it (them) on a 4 - 5km walk will be interesting.  The monopod may well prove to be my best friend in these situations.

Thanks for the advice.

Tim

pacman
pacman's picture

I wouldn't use that harness with a heavy lens as the weight will all be on the body-lens coupling

Peter

rawshorty
rawshorty's picture

pacman wrote:

I wouldn't use that harness with a heavy lens as the weight will all be on the body-lens coupling

I agree strongly with this comment.

You should always have the strap attached to the tripod mount on the lens.

Shorty......Canon gear

Canberra

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawshorty/ 

timrob
timrob's picture

Evenin' Peter,

The harness attaches to the camera body where the strap would normally be. I use two adapters - one on each side of the camera body - to clip on to the harness. Clearly with 5kg plus I will not let the lens/body hang so the stress on the lens/body joint is not as you describe.   Frankly a 5kg weight hanging off a harness is no better that 5kg hanging off your neck (other than it's off you neck and on your shoulder) . I mostly cradle the body and lens while I'm walking, and the harness really just takes the weight of my binos.  When having the camera ready for a quick shot I hold the camera by it's grip - again no extra demands on the joint.  Trust me, this a better alternative to two neck straps.  And yes no matter how you do it, carrying 5kg plus is tiring so generally I'll take at least a monopod and if stationary a tripod, and I take a backpack that will fit the combo when I tire.

Tim

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube