Sue's Big Year 2021

163 posts / 0 new
Last post
Devster
Devster's picture

Oh my goodnes Sue, you just keep rubbing it in. lol. So many wonderful birds. I do love the Blue Bonnets as I've only seen them once briefly. I also really like the Kestrels and the Wood Swallows. You're off to an amazing start. Congrats on the century. Looks like you'll be hitting the double century in no time at all.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Dev. It was an extremely good trip with about a dozen still to go from the coast. I suppose it is your turn to go green... haha. 

I expect to grind to a halt then as tied up with family stuff... hubbie's turn to get cataract surgery x2 which means that I'm driving him around for a bit. It could be just 3 weeks but possibly longer & distant places out of reach for a while. A few lovely spots are on the plan but no more huge numbers like this trip. This year is flying!

sue818
sue818's picture

The final push from the trip. We thought to swing past Lake Wollumboola near Culburra Beach in NSW for some easy shorebirds on the way home. However, as it was mainly overcast and very windy there are some good shots and some poor ones despite the use of a tripod. At least my boots got some washing although the lake has weed which is very slippery and some mud although no clay!

A  phone pic of Lake Wollumboola on a sunny though windy morning... the day we left.

121   Bar-tailed Godwit... numerous birds at the Lake and some starting to colour up for breeding at the end of their long journey

122   Curlew Sandpiper... finally found one amongst the throng. Quite distinctive curve to the bill and not the sudden dip of the Broad-billed.

123   Eastern Curlew... a distinctive profile but an awful shot... hope to improve on it

124   Red Knot... larger bird amongst the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and the dumpy bird in the second photo with the Godwit

125   Great Knot.... (no info sheet!) far left bird with a number of Bar-tailed Godwits and a late arrival. Ratio of bill tto head length is important to distinguish from the Red Knot.

126   Lesser Sand Plover... (no info sheet!) was pleased to see this one appear near the Red-capped Plovers as it made for a great comparison. Much taller and the markings are quite different. Also check out the bill to head length ratio which rules out the Greater Sand Plover

127   Little Egret... came across of group of these birds with an immature posing nicely near an adult. Young one is acquiring the black bill and lacks the plume. I include the flight shot as I think  the RHS bird has that problem with the tongue protruding through the bill.

128   Little Tern... (no info sheet!) tricky when the young ones are hiding amongst all the waders. Three of us were having a discussion about the ID of this little bird when it started calling for food as the parent appeared... immature Little Tern fooled us for a while.

129   Pectoral Sandpiper... (no info sheet!) not the best light for a good shot but that sharp delineation is clear and there is a yellow base to the bill

130   Australian Pied Oystercatcher... less common than the Sooty apparently but only Pied are found at the lake and there were quite a few. The young one is hard to pick from the adults now.

131   Red-capped Plover... an adult male with his beautiful red cap and I think a young one rather than a female as still a bit speckled. Finally managed decent light to do them justice. These gorgeous little birds were everywhere with numerous young ones.

132   Red-necked Stint... so many of these little ones at the lake. Just stnad and wait and they came quite close

133   Swamp Harrier... a fast fly-over in poor light so pleased I caught an image. Note the white rump and the barred wingtips unlike the black wingtips on the Spotted Harrier.

134   Wedge-tailed Eagle... awful distant shot as I just snapped thinking it would be another White-bellied Sea-eagle and only saw noticed when processing! Very clear profile with that dark body and massive beak even if the wedge is not clear.

Apologies for earlier, I ran out of time so posted the text to complete later. That is the end of the birds from our trip... I have one other photo which ABID suggests is a Grey Plover but I don't think it is clear enough for our purposes. Will just have to find some locally.

Two other phone pics for interest as we came through Caragabal while travelling around. These murals are wuite new and look beautiful but there is not much else to the town.

Devster
Devster's picture

There are not only a lot of great birds but a lot of great photos there as well Sue. Well done! Those Red-capped Plovers are just adorable. I can very rarely get that close to shore birds. Dang your tally is climbing fast. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Dev. The Red-capped Plovers were so easy to see and I find the shorebirds gradually come closer if I just wait. Wish I could do it as easily as some I see... on your belly or squatting is not something I do so often now! I may have to try for some more shorebirds in better light. Also, a tripod helps in the wind.

Don't want to complain but it has been overcast and wet quite often this year... which is a good thing after drought but not helpful for photography. It was wonderful to get all those raptors especially both Harriers for comparison.

I was quite stunned by the number of different birds we observed on our brief trip so don't expect my tally to increase so quickly again. Pure luck and good fortune! There are some pictures for Best Photos when I find some time. Looking forward to more from others as some wonderful posts and I think we are all improving our photographic and ID skills.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

What a wonderful set of photos to close out your trip, Sue. Those Plovers are real cuties, as is the Stint. 

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Oh I just love all of those shorebirds, how delightful and some that we don't see as much down here. Terrific photos Sue, well done

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Danny and Tom. I quite like shorebirds and their ID challenge. I had some of the awful shots confirmed by ABID before posting.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Sue those shore bird shots are amazing! Love them.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Abby, they can be a challenge but quite satisfying to ID. Just a few from the local park where i went seeking a brown Thornbill... no luck as few birds around... too much construction going on nearby.

135   Rainbow Lorikeet... none in my yard at present as our Bottlebrush is still re-covering from its pruning. Quite like the eye in this shot.

136   Silvereye... hiding in the privet.... noxious weed on council land.

137   White-browed Scrubwren... think this might be a young one as the markings are not so distinct and it came up to inspect me... so closely that I could not focus and had to back off!

Devster
Devster's picture

Wow great eye contact on them all Sue. They are all certainly checking you out. Yes agree, looks like an immature WBSW. Already starting to get that cranky face

sue818
sue818's picture

As the Sydney weather settled a little, I ventured out to Warriewood for some regulars. Went out early expecting numerous birds and was quite disappointed ... it was very quiet and damp ... I attracted leeches and rid myself of them before they got well attached but the mozzies still had their fill as nothing seems to deter them. As the sun got stronger some birds appeared but not in the usual numbers or places. I may still have some camera issues as the shots were also very noisy despite the clear skies. Still the walk to the waterfall was pleasant and I was one of the few people there.

138   Laughing Kookaburra... though the characteristic pose was nice

139   Australian Brush-turkey... not the usual one from the Warriewood wetlands where the gigantic mound had been damaged by the rain. This was one of a pair from the Irrawong track and I quite liked that it was up in a tree.

140   Australian King Parrot... this lovely male flew in with his mate for a drink from the top of this dead tree and was quietly calling my attention. Above my head, but it shows the clear sky and the beautiful colours of this bird.

141   Bell Miner... a handsome bird with that olive and orange combination but they are quite territorial. I saw some White-browed Scrubwrens get chased away. The Bell Miners moved into the remnant swamp mahoganey area in the drought and have flourished so the little birds like Pardalotes, Sitella and Gerygone are harder to find.

142   Brown Gerygone... usually these little ones come right up to you but not this day so a distant shot of a very little bird amongst heavy foliage.

143   Brown Thornbill... also very difficult to photgraph as they like the causarinas and kept to the tree-tops most of the time. I was lucky that this one came near the boardwalk to check me out.

144   Eastern Whipbird... one of the few birds that were quite vocal that morning. This young one advertised its presence and noisily came through the reeds to the tree as I waited. Note the lack of any white.

145   Golden Whistler... a lovely male in company with a female and younger one but that stick was an issue, of course, as I repositioned myself it flew off never to be seen again.

146   Grey Fantail... usually very esy to get a good shot but not this day... so a distant grainy shot as they were staying up in the tree-tops with their cousins (next post).

And a couple of replacement shots from Warriewood because I like them better.

118   Lewin's Honeyeater

137   White-browed Scrubwren

sue818
sue818's picture

Another couple of birds with awful pictures that I hope to replace

147   Common Myna... all around home except in this wet weather so this from Olympic Park area will do until replaced

148   Rufous Fantail... came down from the tree-tops briefly but stayed behind the bush so best I could do. I think it is identifiable from the coulouring, body shape and patterning like the white throat but happy to remove if not clear to others ... so please let me know as it is not a picture I would usually post.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow Sue you have been busy. Another stunning set of birds. Love your replacement photos as well as your Eastern Whipbird.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Some beautiful photos Sue. I don't think I've ever seen a Brushturkey in a tree before? And your Rufous Fantail is identifiable to me, love those little birds, so pretty, can clearly see what it is I think.

Devster
Devster's picture

Wow Sue, you'll be at 200 before you know it. I love the Brush-turkey shot. Even though they roost in trees every night, it's still noy a place they're phtographed a lot. Plus I like the portrait crop you've done. I also like how the Scrubwren is peeking under the leaf. I'm glad you have the ebc shot of the Rufous Fantail as I have a few like that I was hesitant to use. Some days the birds just don't play nice :)

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks all. As Dev said, the Brush-turkeys roost in trees at night but it does look strange when you first see them do it.
Seems the Rufous Fantail is identifiable so I'll leave it and try for a better one while they are here. Might have to travel north as I think they migrate soon.

The birds were not playing nice, Dev and I am now paying the price with itchy mosquito bites as the wet weather had released a horde and repellents were ineffective as was my one layer of clothing... still don't know how they get to me through cotton. I think the pace will be slow on my part now but would not be surprised to see Alex come in with some stunners as work may take him some interesting places. Looks like we will get a big tally this year considering we are only 2 months in!

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Just wow, Sue. All three pics from 22/2 are wonderful, but I love your Bell Miner. Beautiful shot.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Tom. There should have been a Crimson Rosella shot as well that day but it flew before I clicked! I went to Lane Cove National Park today and got zilch... maybe all the birds are out west still. So pleased to see all your posts.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

That looks like it was a fabulous trip Sue - so many amazing photos. 

I'm going out West over Easter - my boys have never been in the Outback, so I'll take them to Gundabooka NP (ok, its not QUITE back of Bourke, but good enough :-) and back via stops at Round Hill / Cargelligo and Weddin Mountains. Was thinking of camping at Whoey Tank for a quick overnight stop - I believe you can free camp there - did it look ok? It won't be a birding specific trip as my boys get pretty bored with birds only - but I hope to see and photograph a few :-) 

sue818
sue818's picture

It was perfect timing ... so many great birds and even budgies which are leaving the Lake now. I would think an overnight at Whoey's Tanks would fine and the road in was good with just a small patch of mud easily traversed. I think Gundabooka NP has a number of aboriginal sites and the Weddin Mts are supposed to be very good. I think you'll find some great birds without looking too hard and the boys should enjoy camping. The drive from Gundabooka through Cobar to the Lake should be beautiful. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Ah, great, that is encouraging, sounds like we have a plan. Yes, Gundabooka has some great aboriginal rock art, mulga to camp in, a mountain to climb, and views forever from the top - I'm looking forward to camping under the stars and talking to the boys a bit about the people who have always lived here. 

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Hi Sue, I love hearing about your travels (and everyones birdy stories). Congrats on the ton, As always a very high percentage of quality photos. Too many now to list faves, but most would be new for me, Thank you!

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Amazing to go through all of your photo updates Sue, you've got a stunning collection going on and your knowledge of birds is amazing too! Thanks for sharing so many brilliant shots

sue818
sue818's picture

Nothing to add as yet with Sydney awash. Just wanted to comment that BiB requires an upgraded password of 12 characters (aphabetic, symbolic and numeric combination) as their provider has changed things without notice. All is good and safe albeit a bit cumbersome.

Hope you are all safe with the tumultuous weather. Bells Line of Road is now indefinitely closed as fears the road will give way... one of the worst burnt areas last year.  Karen is OK as quite elevated but is surrounded by floodwater and blocked roads. Once she can log in again, she will update us.

Aplogies , I also want to thank you for the kind comments. It has been a great start to the year. Nice to hear from you Dale.

Saty safe friends.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks Sue, got my password sorted :-).

Both main bridges to us are still closed, but I believe Windsor is no longer under water and could open by Sunday, and North Richmond should surface soon too. Went into Kurrajong village earlier today and most shops are still trading and seem to have supplies since the Putty road has opened and trucks can get to us now. There have been quite a few helicopter and boat deliveries across to our 'island' too :-).

Lots of clean up ahead for people in the low lying areas, but for those of us trapped up high it has not been too bad.

sue818
sue818's picture

Finally able to process pictures from my morning out with Alex at the Landing Lights wetlands in Arncliffe. Glorious weather and after so much rain there was plenty of water about in the lower areas. A very pleasant and easy walk with plenty of birds. I concede the height advantage of about 10 inches goes to Alex so I may have a few more leaves in my shots! I have decided to post my EBC (every bird counts) shots and replace later on if I can just to keep it moving along.

149   Australian Raven... actually from home as I had forgotten it... a bit of sheen and nice hackles

150   Brown Honeyeater... nice to see this one feeding with a number of other birds on lantana and other plants. I preferred this preening image to others but have a few leaves in the way.

151   Common Starling... typically posed on the TV aerial but a bit different as showing the speckled front rather than the metallic sheen of the back

152   Golden-headed Cisticola... a real treat to spy this little one singing its heart out atop the fence. It came and went a couple of times which gave us time to set up for that pose. A set of pictures to show various patination and that lovely golden fluff. Thsis one made my day as I did not see any last year.

153   New Holland Honeyeater... posing on the glorious flowers of a plant whose name escapes me. Plenty of birds were attracted to this flower but I did have to stand tall to clear the surrounding grass (unlike Alex).

154   Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo... awful shot as it flew overhead but identifiable so I hope to post a replacement sometime.

155   Double-barred Finch... an EBC for sure but I could not get a clear shot before it flew across to another area. Should not be too difficult to find a replacement sometime this year.

A replacement Chestnut Teal because this one has more colour

That is it for now. I am really hoping to get out of Sydney soon but a number of things have come up... replacing and painting 2 ceilings (which means 2 rooms must be emptied!) and first Covid vaccination in a bit over a week. Might find myself doing little trips rather than a big one for some time. If we make north, Dev, I'll be sure to contact you for an outing together.

Really enjoying everybody's pictures and hearing about their adventures so plase keep them coming.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

150 and counting! That's a particularly majestic raven Sue, beautiful photo.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Glad you have recovered Sue, and good to see your latest pics. I love the Brown Honeyeater, underrated I think. I have never seen one. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

I'm glad you enjoyed it Sue, was fun walking with you as always. Karen, any time you are planning to be in Sydney I'd be happy to take you there and hopefully get you a Brown Honeyeater :-) 

Sue, I also love that Raven, understated but beautiful

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Glad to hear your getting out again Sue. Some great photos as always, and the 150 - looking good for a great number this year.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Lovely shots Sue! 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks all, eyes now fully recovered and I am itching to get out with the camera. Amazing number of birds seen already this year and some cracking shots form everyone. 

Annie W
Annie W's picture

Awesome shots Sue, I'm always envious of, but grateful for, your amazing variety.  Many many favs for me, especially drawn to the Orange Chats, gorgeous captures.  Fingers crossed I can find some later in the year when I finally escape this beautiful isle for a few months stay in S.A.

West Coast Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thank you, Annie, I am envious of your Tassie endemics. I am pleased that you are enjoying the variety and I hope all goes well for you and that you can visit SA soon. Sending hugs your way.

Devster
Devster's picture

Sorry I've been a bit MIA lately. Great variety and shots as always Sue. I don't see many Starlings up here any more so I like that shot. Even if they are not native. Your GHC is such a cutie, I can see why you posted a number of shots of him. You let me know when you're up Sue and if I'm not working I'd be happy to take you around

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Dev, I'll be sure to let you know when we get to Queensland. Hopefully, things will settle on the Covid front again soon but my first vaccination is done.

We did manage a quick weekend away west again (as the school holidays were still on) but I decided to spend more time in the forests. There was a lot of standing water especially as we turned onto the Newell Highway and the mosquitos seemed to be at plague levels in some places... I have never had so many follow us into the car that we had to pull over and spray the car! Big ones too!

There are a couple of remnant forested areas out of West Wyalong and the the Ironbark was flowering... plenty of Superb Parrots as soon as I stopped the car (so I'll post them in Best Photos) but little else in the smaller forest called Little Blow Clear. So I went to the larger remnant forest area called Hiawatha and parked near a small dam. Plenty of birds and quite a rewarding time there before venturing to the other part across the road and doing a circuit.

156   Grey-crowned Babbler... one on the way when we stopped at Grenfell for lunch

157   Fan-tailed Cuckoo... had to drop to my knees to find a hole through the foliage for this shot but I quite like the sheen on the feathers and the glint in the eye even if it is a bit moody

158   Red-capped Robin... felt rewarded when this brilliant male turned up and posed so nicely and then the female hopped across the road a bit further away

159   Varied Sitella... rewarded again when this one stopped long enough for a shot out in the clear (although I removed a few sticks from the photo). Thsi is the Orange-winged variety that we see in Sydney but initailly, I thought I might had captured a Black-capped one).. next time. Tiny birds and not usually posing in such good light.

160   Western Gerygone... another small bird which can be easily overlooked except for those stunning red eyes and cane be quite difficult to get a photo clear of leaves.

161   White-eared Honeyeater... this was on the opposite side of the road near a much bigger dam. I had stopped there and was checking out a particularly popular tree with Striated Pardalote, Western Gerygone, Silvereyes, Rufous Whistlers and the like when this one came into view.

162   White-throated Treecreeper... back near the smaller dam, this adult female (judging by the bright orange spot) was feasting on the ants which appeared to also be feasting on something. Nice to see one as I had expected a Brown Treecreeper in this area.

I could easily have spent more time there but plans were to drive over to Rankin Springs and lunch before investigating that area... you know what happens with plans... pulled up for lunch and found one tyre flat. So pleased my husband was with me to change it. Lunch was late but tasty and time then short, so we drove back to WW without any more birding... got up and packed for home the next morning only to find another flat tyre! Turns out the first flat was due to a piece of wire and the second tyre on the opposite side was a split valve. The drive home was uneventful except for hitting Sydney's peak hour traffic. Eager to get out again as the spirit is always refreshed after some birding.

No factsheet for Western Gerygone.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

So many fabulous photos Sue! The robins are just lovely.

sue818
sue818's picture

163   Little Raven... from west Wyalong. The different sound brought me out to look but just managed one picture before it was spooked by a car. Posted on ABID to confirm but the sound and lack of hackles suggest ID is correct.

Thanks for the comment, Tom, any robin is adorable and often quite obliging.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Glad you've had your vaccination, Sue, and great that you got in a little trip.So great photos - my favourites are the sitella (such a cool little bird) and the treecreeper - a really nice shot. And those robins are just stunning, aren't they? 

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow Sue I love your Varied Sittella shot! Another great selection of birds.

Devster
Devster's picture

Another great lot Sue. That Varied Sittella shot is amazing. Love seeing the different sub species. I quite like the WTTC as well. Those antd are sure attracted to something. Makes easy pickings for the Treecreeper

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Another fantastic array of birds, and as alway beautiful photos. Thankyou.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Oh how unlucky with the two flat tyres! But good you were able to enjoy a trip away. I love the red-capped robins :-).

sue818
sue818's picture

Yes, I was very happy with the Sitella shot as they are so small and active... usually going down the tree not up like a Treecreeper. I did capture the Treecreeper with an ant but not as good a shot as the one I posted. I think the ants were feeding on the white stuff providing a banquet for the bird. 
Thank for the feedback and so pleased that you are enjoying the photos. Dying to get back out and find some Swift Parrots.

sue818
sue818's picture

We escaped Sydney for a few weeks and it has been very refreshing and good for lifting the spirirts. I'll start with some wonderful birds from the beautiful Capertee Valley including a lifer in the form of a Turquoise Parrot. Room for improvement but quite happy with it for a first photo. The mornings were chilly and there was quite a fog one day which of course cleared to spectacular weather. If you find yourself in the area then it is well worth a visit with the bonus being newly sealed roads. i had to dodge numerous potholes in some sections that must have been prepared before rain... but no flat tyres this time! A wonderful hot spot for birding.

164   Bar-shouldered Dove... only saw a few of them as a lot of roadwork being done and workmen around a number of picnic spots.

165   Crested Shrike-tit... it was the noise of shredding bark overhead that made me look up to the sight of 3 Crested Shrike-tits searching for a meal. I have selected the grub 'grub' rather than the large spider.

166   Crimson Rosella... thought I check the cottoneasters at Glen Davis for a Rosella and spooked it to a high branch (more workmen about and eager for a chat) so best I could manage.

167   Diamond Firetail... spotted these little beauties just before dusk as I headed for homebase. Theye were feeding on and beside the road so a quick u-turn and I was back for them. They are quite a chubby looking bird but look very smart with the red and polka dot waistcoat. Sought them in a few areas before finding this lot of about 6-8.

168   Fuscous Honeyeater... took a minute to realise these birds were present amongst the throng but when one flew down to drink from a puddle, it clicked. Might be plain as Alex says but I like that little dash of yellow to set off from the others. I had a number of decent shots of this bird but rather like tis one with blossoms. I remember (before taking up birding) playing a word game called Balderdash where 'fuscous' came up for play... give its actual meaning or convince others that a false meaning was correct... the false meaning scored quite well!

169   Hooded Robin... pretty easy to find these at the cemetary at Glen Alice...not sure why roibins like to pose on headstones and fences... must be good look-outs. This fellow (black hood) had two ladies (plainer grey bird) with him and a Jacky Winter was hanging around as well. I note that a piece of land near the church is for sale so hope any development will not impact this birding spot.

170   Little Lorikeet... these little beauties were noisily feeding in the trees near the church and cemetary but it took a while to settle on the best spot for a photo as theye were flitting frantically from tree to tree with a lot of noise ... then vanishing into the foliage. Finally found that standing across the road and zooming in to the treetops worked pretty well. Really hard to choose a favourite shot so I'll post a couple and maybe some more in best pics forum.

171   Olive-backed Oriole... not a great shot as I was caught shooting in the shadows then switching quickly to full sun. May get a chance to post an improved shot some time in the future as they are quite striking wiht the olive and red... a bit like a pimento stuffed olive perhaps?

172   Restless Flycatcher... just could not get this bird to come into decent light to show the beautiful sheen and it was living up to its name as 'restless'.

173   Speckled Warbler... another little beauty from behind the church at Glen Alice. there was a pair but no much sunshine but I was pleased when one posed on top of some foliage for me. A little bird that feeds on the ground and blends in quite well.

174   Spotted Pardalote... little gems and I offer a pair as they were everywhere in the valley and keen to inspect you. I had great trouble choosing shots to post so I'll try to post a few more in Best Pics forum when time permits. Male with his yellow throat follwed by the daintier and paler female.

175  Turquoise Parrot... a lifer, wow! As I stopped for those Diamond Firetals, I realised they were not alone as these beautiful parrots came up from the grasses where they were feeding. It was then acat and mouse game trying to get some decent shots in the poor late afternoon light... sun low in the sky overexposed some shots and then vanished in the shadows. I also had to look out for passing traffic as the birds were feeding right on the roadside edges. Quite a treat and I will be back now I know the right spot for them. Note the blue on the face and red on shoulder in other pic together with the much yellower underparts distinguishes this bird from the Blue-winged Parrot.

176   White-browed Babbler... proably have more pictures from various places on our travels but I'll post these while on a roll. They seem to be busy building nests wherever we were.

That is it for Capertee Valley but plenty more to come from other places although no more lifers... a bit hard once you get over 500 and I don't consider it proven unless I have photographic evidence. Trust you all enjoy the variety.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Sue, it looks like you have had amazing time. A great set of birds here! You are going to get to 200 in no time. Love your Diamond Firetail.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Abby. Cannot believe 200 is looking possible and we are not halfway through the year. I am in it for the fun and getting out to share the birds with everyone so numbers don't really matter. Would be thrilled for anyone to take the lead.

A few more from Warren in NSW where it was a bit quiet... with the drought broken, the birds have dispersed but it is also almost winter! Still a few beauaties to share.

177   Australian Hobby... always thrilled to see these beautiful raptors although this was distant resulting in a highly cropped shot.

178   Red-winged Parrot... beautiful birds and quite large ... the male's stunnning green with so much brilliant red on the wings.

Dodgy internet so that is it for now.

Devster
Devster's picture

Wow Sue. Again I am green with envy. There would be 5 lifers in that lot for me!I l love the Turquoise Parrot especially. The Crested Shrike-tit is a bit of a nemisis bird for me as I can never seem to find it. I can't beileve how good your Little Lorikeet shots are. They are always either flying by a 100mph or perched way up the top of the trees for me. The green and red are so vibrant in the male Red-wings

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Dev. I was very pleased with the Little Lorikeets as I was across the road but on a high embankment & caught a few as they popped out in the sun. Plenty of shots lost in leaves! The upside-down fellow was much closer as it flew in with a mate as I stood under the tree... staked out the tree as plenty of flowers low down. The sound of shredding bark is a real pointer to the Shrike-tit. However, Capertee Valley is hot spot for many difficult to find species so well worth a visit... despite the roads & lack of any shops... always pack a picnic lunch.

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube