Sue's Big Year 2021

163 posts / 0 new
Last post
sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, guys. Yes now at home, Michael and unlikely to get out with the camera in the next few days although I could check my local park for a surprise like a nice Powerful Owl... saw a pair there on my birthday one year. Maybe next year...

sue818
sue818's picture

I am declaring my Big Year complete.

What a wonderful time it has been getting to know all of you and I have enjoyed your photos, the stories and the little extra creatures and landscapes. There have been some fantastic sightings and we seem to have managed despite the challenges. I believe that these posts have kept us going in difficult times. Here's hoping for a New Year with no lock-downs and the ability to travel far and wide.  

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Great work Sue, you've had a cracker of a year. And thanks for all your work with all the record keeping :-)

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Karen but kudos to you for creating such a great spreadsheet which was easy to update from your instructions. I did enjoy my year despite the limitations. Between us we have managed to see an amazing array of birds! 

sue818
sue818's picture

Found one I had held back from Cobar

217   Mallard type Duck...hard to know if it is of domestic origin but more than likely. Yet this one does show some nice characteristics like the curled tail feathers, orange legs, yellow bill and green head. Just missed the tail tip and rest of the leg but best shot overall.

sue818
sue818's picture

Found a couple more that I missed... 

218   Channel-billed Cuckoo... this shot from Olympic Park was waiting to be replaced by a great one from home as they flew over my house... they flew over but not when i had a camera to hand!

219   Buff-banded Rail... amazed that I had overlooked this one from Olympic Park as I have a sequence fwhere it seems to do a little dance... will post them in Best Photos

I believe these are the last few as I have now gone through the year's pictures them just to be sure.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Some lovely shots Sue - isn't it great to be out again?! Loved the swamp wallaby shot - fantastic. Never seen a Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, very cool. And for a lockdown year, you've come up with a great total for the year :-) Well done, its been great seeing all your lovely pictures. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Alex... yes, I admit to feeling really refreshed after my trip down the south coast. Looking forward to catching up with you and Karen. I think we have all amassed a great total of birds for a lockdown year!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Love those last three photos Sue. That Buff-banded Rail is superb, great detail. Thanks for posting.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow amazing sets of photos Sue! I'm hoping to get to Lake Cargelligo in a couple of days. Anywhere you would suggest going?

Thanks for everything this year.

sue818
sue818's picture

I'll send you a private message, Abby as it might be a bit long a list.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Great finish to the year Sue... those violet eyes on the Satin Bowerbirds are just stunning!

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube