Sue's Big Year 2022

243 posts / 0 new
Last post
sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Tom. You should try it one day.  The Albatross are amazing and so photogenic. Having just crossed Bass Strait, I think I managed to ID the Albatrosses that we saw and maybe the Shearwaters but I might have to quiz Dale on possible Storm-petrel.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

You would have done well to see a storm petrel, yet alone get a photo from the Spirit. Happy to help if I can but can ask for help if needed.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Awful shot but I think it might be a White-faced Storm-petrel.... really distant so highly cropped but markers look right. I will attempt to produce a copy for you, Dale.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Just catching up on on your pics now, some amazing shots and fantastic trips you've been on Sue! I really love your close up shot of the Restless Flycatcher, just magnificent. And all the non avian wildlife, the orb spiders are beautiful aren't they?

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Amazing photos and so many fascinating birds. Love the photography tips too, filing them away for another day. So interesting to see the birds in photos not just the books, great work and well done on a full and hectic day! A good rest well deserved after that!

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks all for the kind comments. I have just spent the day with Dale and had a fantastic time. We birded all day, thank you, Dale. Plenty of birds to come once I get back but no way to edit while travelling. 

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Thanks Sue, we did have a great day, and It was a pleasure to be your host. Hope I didn't wear you out with all that walking!

Can't wait to see you photos from your trip.

Still trying to find time to process mine, maybe over the next few days.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

I hav started the processing, Dale but it will take a while. Perhaps I'll post a few tonight just to start the process. Two lifers this trip! Thank you again for a wonderful day out in good company and all the great tips regarding places of interest. The walking was fine and the tendon issue is being addressed.

sue818
sue818's picture

Finally, I have a few photos from our latest trip to share. I planned to have more but some ID issues (since I'm new to seabirds).

175   Brown Goshawk... posing so nicely at the Derrick VC rest area (where we stopped for my usual Gang-gang Cockatoos only to find them absent!), still a nice bonus with a rounded tail and stare being the only clues to ID.

We then moved on and stopped for lunch in the Chiltern National Park. Although numerous birds were around the dam, getting a photo proved a challenge.

176   To be replaced as thought Brush Cuckoo but now unsure as tail barring looks wrong and suggestion of yellow on eye ring which may indicate a Fan-tailed Cuckoo.. awful shot from across the water. By the time I moved in closer, it was gone. Perhaps another will pose for me this year.

177   Fuscous Honeyeater... numerous birds feeding high in the trees so the best I could manage with all the leaves and constant movement.

178   Yellow-tufted Honeyeater... this one was chasing spiders so it came quite close and posed so well. What a gorgeous bird. I think there may have been youngsters as numerous birds sitting together high in the tress... and moving constantly.

We stayed in Melbourne for the night and boarded the Spirit of Tasmania the next morning for a day crossing. Not something I have done in many years but thought there might be some sea birds. Indeed there were but as explained earlier some will have to wait. Meantime, here is one:

179   White-faced Storm-petrel... a lifer! I have no idea how I managed to get these photos from the deck of the ship as all I was doing was following a white speck with the lens out at 700mm (500mm plus 1.4TC). They are highly cropped but ID confirmed. A number of birds eluded me as I could not lock focus on them with wind, waves and movement of boat and bird. No fact sheet.

Plenty more to come as I get on with processing... a tremendous trip with some wonderful birds.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Beautiful birds in your update Sue, lucky to get such a good sea bird from the ferry! I love the Chiltern birds, the Brush Cuckoo is one I've never seen so very interested in that photo. The Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters are always so beautiful to see!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Love the Yellow-tufted honeyeater, and the Brown Goshawk, nice pose. Noticed your ID requests on Seabbirds, sadly I can be of little assistance. Looking forward to more of your adventure.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thank you for the feedback. I was pleased with the Yellow-tufted HE and the Brown Goshawk as came out better than expected. Not travelling without my computer again as so much work to do now and I was not sure how the pictures would turn out. (We took hubbie's!).

Pleased you found the Brush Cuckoo of interest, Danika. It is less colourful than the Fan-tailed, much greyer but that buffy undertail stands out. I recognised it immediately but being the wrong side of the dam, it took a while to get back around. 

As to the seabirds, Dale, I am now confused so have referred them to my NZ friend for comment. Fingers crossed.

Thought that I would post some extra shots taken from the Spirit as we sailed just to show possibilities. The Gannet is an improvement and some are just for fun.

10   Silver Gull... just a different view

165   Australasian Gannet... so many of these as we came towards Tasmania. A number of them just floating together on the sea and taking off as we came closer and this one was a beauty.

I saw so many Albatross. My husband asked what the big bird was that flew past as we dined so I grabbed the camera and raced out. They were floating on the sea or flying past, some very close. The challenge was the movement with the swell and forward motion of the ferry coupled with the flight path of the bird further challenged by the effect of the wind on my long lens... finally I moved to a lower deck.

167   Black-browed Albatross... incredible birds to see. These turned up closer to Tasmania

168   Shy Albatross... also quite incredible to see and the first was soon after we left Port Phillip bay.

Sea Lion (it has ears so not a seal). Plenty of these resting on the water with that fin holding onto a flipper... cooling effect? A weird shape form a distance. I missed a shot of the dolphin

A view of the smoky city as we sailed... taken with my phone not the camera. I also heard a detailed discussion of surfing and the best areas around the bay along with the naming of various places as we passed... one of my fellow passengers was a local who going surfing in Tasmania. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Finally have more feedback on the next one... not a great photo but it is another lifer! Quite exciting to see 2 lifers on one cruise. 

180   Hutton's Shearwater... being a novice to seabirds, I sought ID help and three people now advise that it is a Hutton's Shearwater because of the more extensive dusky plumage. An underwing shot was not availableto assist with ID. These seabirds are challenging especially when the shot is not brilliant (taken under the previously mentioned conditions, any shot is surprising). No fact sheet.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Some more great photos of birds which are  hard to photograph. Hutton's Shearwater would be a lifer for me.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Wow exceptional shots there Sue, and all from the ferry? I'm never taking the overnight option again, think of all the birds I missed while I was sleeping!! Criminal! Absolutely love the Gannet and Black-browed Albatross! Such graceful big birds, and those brows are really obvious. Of course I love all the shots, but those are my favourites. Two lifers from a "non-birdwatching" activity is pretty epic! 

I never forget now that the difference between seals and sea lions are their ears, because when we were in the Galapagos I kept oohing and aahing over the "seals" and every time our guide corrected me with "sea lion"!! It's like it hurt her spirit to hear them named incorrectly, and after doing birding for a while, I get it! Seagulls! Urgh!

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Dale and Danika. Another lifer still to come from my trip so it was a very rewarding time away.

Danika: yes, they were all taken from the ferry (at 700mm). Getting the exposure and speed right were somewhat challenging. A friend managed to photograph an Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross on the same trip some weeks earlier. However, it was a very long day.

There were numerous Shearwaters (mostly Short-tailed) soon after we left the Bay along with the first Shy Albatross and a Jaeger (which I did not attempt to identify) and of course, the solitary Hutton's Shearwater. I did not even notice until I checked the photos although I did see other brown and white birds on the trip. As the voyage continued, I saw more Shy Albatross and then the Black-browed appeared. There were a number of White-faced Storm-Petrel and other small birds that I saw but failed to photograph successfully. The first Gannet was soon after we left the Bay and they appeared a number of times although the larger group of 6-8 was closer to Tasmania. I was quite tired by the end of it. 

The idea of ears being a distinguishing feature does stick in one's mind, doesn't it? The dolphins were just too fast for me as were the fish.  

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Very interesting Sue. Yes I guess its a long time to be on the alert if you're out watching for the whole trip, but incredibly rewarding hey? Very impressed with what you can pick up from the ferry. 

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

I love the gannet shot, Sue, and impressed with the yellow-tufted honeyeater, too. I find the bush-birds move around so much, its almost a shock when they seem to sit and pose.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Danika. I did not even post the Short-tailed Shearwaters seen from the ferry, easy shots, but probbaly would not do it again. Also thank you, Michael. Sometimes the birds are occupied doing other things like picking spiders from a web or grooming and you have to be ready for it. At least this one was down at my level not up in the treetops!

Finally, I am ready to post some shots from Tasmania. Not sure if it will be by place or bird so let us see how it turns out. These first ones are while I was based in Devonport. Following Dale's tip, I drove to Moorland Beach and over a couple of days found some wonderful birds on the beach or in the nearby fields. The first day I was a bit concerned as roadworks were taking place but I put the car in park and stood on the running board with camera in hand to get shots from the field and on the beach. I confess to holding up one truck for a moment as I did not see it come up behind me... apologetic wave as he passed. In case, you don't know the tide goes out a long way so I was lucky to have high tide at a great time. I was also able to park in the turn-around area and venture out on the rocks a little (hard going as they are all sizes).

181   Sooty Oystercatcher... these and Pied were present in small numbers on the beach before flying to the little rocky area where I sat. 

182   Black-faced Cormorant... I went out on the rocks just to get this bird. So interesting to get a good look at the black forehead and that dark bill. Quite different from the Little Pied Cormorant which was sitting nearby!

183   Ruddy Turnstone... such beauties. A whole group on the beach amongst the weed or atop it before a group flew to a little group of rocks where they sat for some time as the waves broke around them. I wish I could have managed a decent flight shot as they are beautifully patterned when flying.Take note of the differnce in pattern... breeding or not, female with a whiter head.

184   Double-banded Plover... not there the first day probably due to people walking the beach and the roaadworks but the next day, success... a group of about thirty! Little birds that can be missed as they in amongst rocks or nestled in the seaweed which is abundant in this area.

185   Banded Lapwing... these birds had left the beach for the surroundings fields which I checked as I drove the road. A field of Masked Lapwings and then these ones but generally not sharing a space. I quite like the look amongst the dandelions but they were skittish with the traffic so I could not get too close.

186   Little Wattlebird... in the surrounding area, highly cropped so not a great shot but quite identifiable.

Now for a few extra shots from the area.

Replacement 24   Masked Lapwing... just like the beach atmosphere and the comparison to the Banded Lapwing.

Replacement 112   House Sparrow... I just love the this shot which shows the bird off so well. Plenty of these around tasmania.

Replacement 138   Crested Tern... just like the flight shot as I waited on the rocks

I'll close this off before something goes wrong and move on to the next lot.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Superb photos Sue, I can almost imagine being at Moorland Beach with you, familiar sights and glad you found them. The Double-banded Plovers are just so cute. Your Ruddy Turnstone photos  show them nicely. Also like the Banded Lapwings, I would have liked to see them in the paddock.

Looking forward to more.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

I spent the afternoon at the Arboretum which is quite close to Devonport. Although, the light would be fading, I went for a long walk around and down to the river. There I spent a long time watching birds come in to drink and bathe before venturing back up the slope and discovering a grove of trees full of birds and managed a fw shots in that lovely late afternoonlight. Yes, I did s ee the Platypus as I waked around but no picture.

187   Tasmanian Native-hen... these birds are everywhere but the ones at the Arboretum often have some extra white patches. So a normal colour one first and then the one with all that white (leucystic?). Then at derwent Bridge, the young ones appeared (shame I cut the top off the adult's head!).

188   Eastern Spinebill... an EBC as it was awful light down at the river followed by a younger bird seen when we drove through the Tarkine.

189   Silvereye... another noisy from down at the river followed by one from Burnie when we stopped for a cuppa. I like the way it peeks out of the bushes.

190   Yellow Wattlebird... this bird was quite high in the treetops and calling loudly so I was happy to get a decent shot. Much better ones to follow from Hobart but I like that this is normal habitat.

191   Tasmanian Scrubwren... we ventured out to Liffey Falls for a picnic and a walk. Very enjoyable drive and the walk to the first set of falls was delightful. However, we did not venture further down as I was hindered by a heel problem and it was all up-hill coming back These birds are found in dark places so not a great shot. 

A brief encounter with a little Pademelon as I walked in Burnie.

Replacement 161 European Goldfinch... a great improvement on the previous shot! Another from Strahan just for completeness... shot with all the settings wrong!

sue818
sue818's picture

We moved on to Stanley from Devonport and then on to Strahan.  From Stanley, we did the Tarkine drive and ventured to the Edge of the World at Arthur river (wild and wonderful). I also ventured out early to Hellyer Gorge on a recon (we travelled that way again when moving to Strahan). Stunning countryside and great roads, truly a beautiful part of the world.

So now for a minor grouping as I saw these birds in a few areas and have missed posting them:

192   Black-headed Honeyeater... pleasantly surprised to find these in the afternoon light in that grove of trees in the Arboretum. I love the first photo. Numerous birds in these trees but the majority were these cuties. 

193   Crescent Honeyeater... saw these everywhere, Stanley, the Tarkine and Strahan. The first ones were in the graveyard at Stanley (I always check these places) but in areas of the Tarkine they were flying across the road as if in a feeding frenzy. Then we saw them again in Strahan. In NSW, I would have considered New Holland or White-cheeked HEs with all the twittering and flying. I'll post a few more shots in best photos.

194   Yellow-throated Honeyeater... saw these in a couple of places, the Arboretum, Strahan, Bruny Island. The first phototwas in that same grove of trees at the Arboretum and the second at Strahan in the caravan park which makes life easy. Gorgeous bird.

sue818
sue818's picture

A few extra shots from Stanley including one especially for Dale.

Replacement 62   Brown Falcon... this young (dark morph) bird flew in as we parked at the Edge of the World (Gardiner's Point, Arthurs River). It ignored us completely as it sat atop a structure looking out for prey. I walked around getting the light just right and adjusting exposure as it gazed out over the area. Such a beautiful encounter. 

The rest are from Stanley where there were not that many birds to be seen.

Extra 63 (could not replace that one)   Nankeen Kestrel... just for you, Dale. As we discussed, the Nut is behind.

Replacement 147   Pacific Gull... a bit better than previously and so many of them about. Probably have a few more from later.

Replacement 163   New Holland Honeyeater... I like this pose at Stanley and the reverse view from Hobart.

sue818
sue818's picture

Hellyer Gorge, great place with wonderful  birds and each time , a surprise. This time there were Pink Robins and Dusky Robins but not a Flame or Scarlet in sight. Also, two Scrubtit turned up!!! I've only seen them once before so it was atreat. However, I saw them eslewhere and the pictures are better so you'll have to wait.

195   Tasmanian Thornbill... not much doubt about this ID with the greyer face and buffy wings apart from the location being down in a dark damp river gorge. Posting three pictures because I cannot choose! 

196   Bassian Thrush... there were numerous thrush present so there was time to play with camera settings and location. I rather like the result.

sue818
sue818's picture

A couple of Robins from Hellyer Gorge and a collection of shots from elsewhere. It is a very winding road through the gorge but there are toilets and picnic tables (albeit rough) at the bottom. a short walk takes you down past the river and back and it was here that a pair of Scrubtit appeared... awful light so noisy pictures.

197   Dusky Robin... quite large when seen near a Pink Robin which is about half the size. I've always found them here in the Gorge which was a reason for returning.

198   Pink Robin... what can one say but gorgeous. First is a female seen in the Gorge as the male scappered. Buffy wing markings and orange feet. Next few are from a number of places and I love every one of them.

Following a tip from Dale, we stopped at Nelson Falls and did the walk. As we crossed the bridge to the carpark, I heard a chirp from above and looked up to see a beautiful male calling just above my head.

We stopped at the Franklin River rest area for a cuppa and a view of the rather odd sculpture. As we sat, my husband asks "Is that the same bird?" Yes, anoher male Pink Robin watching us! It stayed around and after my walk through the froest, there it was perched and calling again. 

Then I had my wonderful day out with Dale and we saw another female Pink Robin carrying on at its reflection in a carpark on Mt Wellington. So I went from only ever having see it once before to numerous close-up sightings... seventh heaven?

Finally the fungi need a post. Franklin river rest area.

That is it for now as the hour is late and I'm tired. Next trip, my laptop comes with me so I can process photos as we go.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Wow what an amazing update from Tassie!! So many cool places and amazing birds! Can't believe how many Pink Robins you saw, incredible! Really loved seeing the endemics, would love a trip down there! Must save your itineray for future planning :)

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Thanks for the special mention Sue. And the Nakeen Kestrel is stunning, a bird I am yet to see. You also have the Black-headed honeyeater, which still evades me. Love the Brown Falcon, and all the rest. Fablulous shots. And you Thornbill is definitely Tasmanian, some unmistakable features there.

Pink Robins are the flavour of the month down here at the moment, I have some upgrades to add ...... when I get to them

I seem to be going from one catastrophe to the next with home reno work, I have lots to process, and hope to get there soon.

Loving all your photos.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Dale and Danika. It was a fantastic trip. Not only did I manage 3 lifers but I also saw birds that I had only found once before such as the Pink Robin and Scrubtit. Massively improved on my past ID shots. Glad my posts brought back memories, Dale... now wait for Hobart and the Big Day Out. Danika, you need to consult Dale for tips as he did great research before and during my trip. Also Bruny Island is a must. As a general rule, we stay in van park cabins as reasonably priced, spacious, we can cook and plug in our on-board fridge. Hubbie can relax and I can go do my thing... must say I was impressed when he hung out the washing and retrieved it so I could head out birding.

I know so many posts are a bit over-powering but so was all the processing and sorting. I apologise for so many pics of the same bird but so difficult to choose at times. 

After Stanley, we moved on to Strahan via Hellyer Gorge, of course. It is a windy road through wonderful scenery but we encountered rain as we neared Strahan. Of course, I was driving by this stage so dropped the speed and concentrated on managing all those corners in the wet. Peter goes to sleep... relaxed in my care? Safely in Strahan and the rain was gone. Accommodation was great and the grounds of the caravan park are good for birds (and platypus but still no picture). 

Having stayed here numerous times, I tried to visit new places but would highly recommend the Gordon River cruise. So I went to Zeehan (but our favourite cafe was closed), Ocean Beach, the airport at dusk (to listen for calling Ground Parrots), Hogarth Falls and out to Macquarie Heads as well as the cemetery.  Dipped on the Eastern Ground parrots but heard a number of other birds and posted a frog call as I stood there. I also dipped twice on Beautiful Firetail... posed and ready to shoot, I took a step sideways to get around some twigs ... and it flew off never to be seen again. A missed opportunity as I won't count it as a lifer until photographed.

Hogarth Falls is accessed from the People's Park in Strahan and is lovely easy walk through tall trees and wet forest alongside a stream. Very damp but great for birds (and again the platypus but still no pic). Despite numerous interruptions from walkers, I got the Scrubtit in decent light.

199   Scrubtit...a gorgeous little bird that lives in the damp forest understorey of ferns etc. Hard to get a clear shot but really happy that I managed these in between the tourist stream heading for the falls (but wondering what I was photgraphing... a platypus?). Nothing looks quite like this little bird so you cannot mistake it for something else.

200   Grey Goshawk... a stunningly beautiful White Morph. I glimpsed this white bird fly into the trees of the park and thought it would be a Cockatoo until I lifted the lens... then I followed until I managed a decent shot. It was quartering the area from the park, across the road and down towards the cove, occasionally hovering over one spot. I could lighten this phot but worried about blowing the whites and I quite like the moodiness.

201   Grey Fantail... surprised that I had not posted one earlier so here is a lovely compliant Tassie bird.

202   Grey Shrike-thrush... another that I had somehow missed. Not a great shot but it will do for now.

203   Forest Raven... a couple of shots from Strahan and Bruny Island. At least ID is easy with only one Raven in Tasmania.

204   Black Currawong... a shot from Strahan and another from Derwent Bridge... lunch at the pub on the way to Hobart. A great place to stop on another long and winding road. Stunning scenery on the way.

A couple of extra shots (maybe replacements or comparison)

31     Superb Fairy-wren... much better shots taken out at the Heads where there were numerous birds.

158   Brown Thornbill... more for comparison although this is a young bird by the light eye. Out in full sun and not as grey-faced as the Tassie version.

Another little fungi from the park and a few landscapes from the phone. Always remember to look up as it can be visually stunning.

sue818
sue818's picture

From Strahan, we moved to Hobart via previously mentioned spots like Nelson Falls, Franklin River rest area and Derwent Bridge. There other spots but time was racing and I had been richly rewarded already. we stayed aging in a cabin (more like an apartment!) at Risdon near Hobart. I did laugh when the young lad behind the check-in desk told me that he was 5ft 22 in!!! Litle did I know that our cabin overlooked the apple trees that were left for the birds... so many visitors to those trees; then Dale informs that we are next to a good pub, so dinner was sorted and it was back to birding. I enjoyed a stunning and rewarding day out with Dale, picked up about 7:30 am and we birded till the sun was going down. Wonderful company and chaffeuring, Dale... you can be my tour director any time!

First stop was Risdon Dam, just around the corner! We enjoyed a great walk here with numerous birds but elected not to do the full circuit (running race on the other side so good decision) so we had time for other places. We also went to Orielton lagoon, Mt Wellington, South Arm and other spots whose names elude me. So here are a few more but not necessarily in order of sighting and others have already been posted.

205   Dusky Woodswallow... lovely group posing in the sunshine. Aa number of these birds were flying around feeding and doing their aerial acrobatics.

206   Scarlet Robin... we saw a number of these robins as we walked but always a challenge to get close enough for that shot. They were consatntly dropping down to pick up a bug or perching in different trees or on the ground.. quite typical robin behaviour. I actually have another shot form Bruny Island but I'll save that one.

207   Flame Robin... wow, here Dale really excelled... not one but five Flame Robins! We drove down a nondescript little road which stopped at a damaged bridge, looked around a bit, turned and came back down the road... a flash of red on the left which back and then to the right... there it is... but wait there are more birds here! Four were working in front of a house and perching on the fence, males and females (or young ones) and then another male appeared making it a count of five. You cannot miss that colour which i describe as vermillion, an orangey-red covering the entire breast, a stunning bird. Icing on the cake there, Dale!

208   Musk Lorikeet... on our way to a spot, Dale caught the sound which we followed to a small tree with feeding birds. How cute are these guys? I love the way the last one is perched. They gave us plenty of time to get camera settings just right and posed so nicely out of the leaves.

209   Common Greenshank... I believe that this was Orielton Lagoon which we accessed via a shortcut that Dale had organised... through the wire, over to the mud and off we went getting bigger pancakes attached to our shoes as we moved along! These birds were easily spooked so we approached as close as possible and followed them a bit before it was too difficult. The slight upturn to the beak is notable. Other birds were there like Little Egret, Masked Lapwings and Kelp Gulls to name a few.

210   Kelp Gull... working our way around the lagoon keeping to the weed, we had removed most of the mud before venturing closer to a few birds for that shot. On the way, we came closer to the Kelp Gull colony so here is a flight shot as an adult came across... more later from Bruny Island.

The apple trees started to attract a number of different birds which I could watch from my balcony before darting down for a better photo. quite a variety of birds came down so not all are represented here.

211   Green Rosella... a beautiful parrot which was chomping into the apples (which I thought were a tad over-ripe for me!). Ther would be two or three Roellas in the trees and then they left and another bird arrived. New Holland Honeyeaters moved off when bigger birds came in.

212   Grey Currawong... checked with Dale as I must have misheard the call. That white undertail clinched it.  I like this shot as it seems to be enjoying that apple.

Replacement shots:

replacement 116   Common Starling... love the colour of these in their fresh plumage, the irridesence is wonderful.

replacement 146   Pacific Golden Plover... not hard to improve on my initial EBC! Once again, sticking to the samphire if possible and with a promise from Dale to help me out if I sank in the mud, we stalked these birds; one in the samphire and one on the edge of the water at Orielton Lagoon. The closest one saw us coming and moved towards the water but hung about long enough for some photos... I quite liked these flight shots albeit distant.

replacement 150   Red-capped Plover... down at South Arm as the sun was going down. Initially , we did not see them and thought the Oystercatchers were the only birds there but sharp-eyed Dale spotted the huddle on the shore... Red capped Plovers and Double-banded Plovers in good numbers up on the beach but so small and well camouflaged that we initially missed them. A quick check that Dale would pull me out of the long grass if I vanished down a hole, before we moved close enough for some shots of a lovely little bird. Not sure what it is eating, any thoughts?

190   Yellow Wattlebird... should have this up with the other apple eaters. A nice clear view of those awsome wattles. It is quite an handsome bird with that pale face, stripes and dangly earrings and it appears to be enjoying that apple.

More amazing fungi from the Fern Glade walk... yellow, purple, beige! The purple one was quite stunning visually and who knows what the effect  would be if you were silly enough to eat it!.

sue818
sue818's picture

Pushing on while I can as so many birds were seen on this trip. Some wonderful endemics are to be seen in Tasmania. I am still waiting to see a Swift Parrot but one day...

We moved on to Bruny Island for a couple of nights and stayed at Adventure Bay in a wonderful cabin nestled in the bush and across from the beach. There were numerous birds species to be found without venturing far at all. I was told that all endemics were possible in this spot and I did see nesting boxes everywhere for Swift Parrots.  Acting on advice from the wonderful tour guide, Dale, we stopped on the way to Adventure Bay, at a little layby to check the white gums. Much searching later, I was about to give up when I spotted this tiny bird against the light. Fortunately, these trees were not very tall but the bird was difficult to spot and then keep in view as it moved constantly. 

213   Forty-spotted Pardalote... a lifer! Pardalotes are difficult to see normally but this one is dull green colour and there do not appear to be 40 of those white spots! Fortunately, I managed a few reasonable shots as it stopped to preen occasionally. Two further vists albeit on windy days were unsuccessful. Thank you, Dale... my husband was rewarded for his patience with Bruny Island oysters and cheeses. 

214   Strong-billed Honeyeater... as I walked around the caravan park and in the surrounding bush, this bird flew down and started checking the bark for bugs,. reminding me of a Crested Shriketit or Treecreeper as it worked away. Quite serendipitous and no work required on my part made for enjoyable birding.

215   Hooded Plover... another Dale tip saw me cross the road and walk a little way up the beach to where the little creek met the sea. Sure enough, a pair of nesting birds down in the sand. There was one very small sign to warn walkers about nesting birds but a couple of people were sitting cuddling just beyond the birds and I wondered if they had even seen them. Let us hope that they recover numbers and continue to delight. A very smart pair in their black and white with just a dash of red.

Just past the Hooded Plovers were a mixture of resting birds, Gulls and Oystercatchers so I could get a few more shots especially showing the Kelp Gulls at various stages of maturity.

Replacement 133   Australian Pied Oystercatcher...

Replacement 206   Scarlet Robin... a nice shot from Bruny Island that is just an extra so bear with me please

Replacement 210   Kelp Gull... an adult and another not quite there yet but qite attractive. Not sure which year this one is but that pale tip to the bill clinches it as a Kelp Gull.

A few pics from Bruny Island. The first is Adventure Bay at sunset and the next two from the Cape Bruny Lighthouse where we went for a long drive. Poor timing as the road was being graded and the water truck had been through so the car was filthy. So were all those hire cars  we spied on our way out and as for the very large motorhome, well, he might still be at the lighthouse unable to turn round! It blew a gale as usual around a lighthouse so the numerous birds were coming through at such a speed, I did not take any shots.

sue818
sue818's picture

I forgot about a couple from a trip Eaglehawk Neck from Hobart so here they are now. No new birds but some interesting extras or replacements.

Replacement 147   Pacific Gull... thought it might be interesting to have these shots straight after the Kelp Gull shot.

Another shot of a Kelp Gull pair as I like the location high up in the rocks at Eaglehawk neck.

Now for a few landscape shots from Eaglehawk Neck starting Pirate's bay lookout and followed by the Tesselated Pavement and the Tasman Blowhole.

We did not spend enough time on Bruny Island but Easter was upon us; off toLaunceston via Oatlands. Next day was wet so the car was cleaned but no birding was done until we reached the mainland again.

Oatlands was a lunch stop with only a 'domestic duck' breed. However there was an interesting insect on the wall as we ate... a Harvestmen family which has not been reported in Tassie for some time. Finally , A cute Bennett's or Red-necked Wallaby from around our cabin in Launceston.

216   Domestic Duck... looks like a nice example of a Mallard but hard to get that irridescent green to photograph well

Opilio parietinus (Phalangiid Harvestman)

Red-necked Wallaby

We took the night ferry back to Melbourne and headed for Queanbeyan for a couple of nights. A mistake as the cabin was 28 degrees C at 4:45am so  we were very tired and unrested. Many rest stops before we made to a rather average cabin in Queanbeyan, a bit disappointing after our successes elsewhere.

sue818
sue818's picture

So from the ACT, we have only threee birds and one is a replacement. Jerrabomberra wetalnds was a bit disappointing but that may have been because: I slept in, everyone seemed to be out jogging or cycling if not walking, the birds had moved on. The Gang-gangs were again missing from Black Mountain.

217   Satin Bowerbird... could be a female or a young male as I find it hard to tell. Quite surprised to come across this one in a quiet place at the Botanic Gardens with so many people out and about on a warmish day. 

218    Crimson Rosella... a few flew in as we admired the view of Canberra from Black Mountain. Quite like the red and blue velvet look amongst the pale green. I also saw them at the Botanic Gardens but too many people about for a good shot.

Final bird of the trip is a replacement come extra:

replacement 141   Golden-headed Cisticola...

That is it, I'm done and I hope you are not as exhausted as I am. The trip was fabulous and helped immensely by Dale and his research. Hopefully, a number of you will meet him soon. I trust my trip has been of interest and promted you to visit Tasmania.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Again Sue, some more stunning photos. I love that you got the Forty-spot, your photo is unmistakably that species, I have only seen once! Those Hoodies are just so cute. It is also nice to see some landscapes, something which I take for granted, and don't photograph much. Your posts shared a journey, and I was glad to able to be a small part of that journey.

Congrats on your double century, setting a cracking pace.

It was a pleasure to meet you and to be your guide, both in person and a remotely, just glad most of the tips played out. I must confess, I did have a little help with some of the spots, but isn't that what people do, help each other?

Anyone heads my way, I will do my best for you, although I can't gurentee as much success as Sue had.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Sorry, I forgot to congratulate you on that Scrubtit shot, superb capture of a difficult bird to find, yet alone photograph.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow Sue! Just catching up now on your wonderful trip! Amazing set of birds. Love all your photos. Isn't that Pademelon cute! 

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Forgot to say Congratulations on getting past 200!

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Abby and Dale. It was a wonderful trip, Abby and I appreciate your sentiment, Dale. Apologies for being a bit lengthy but there was a tale to tell. 
I was stoked to get the Forty-spotted Pardalote, Dale but to get a decent shot of a Scrubtit was just as rewarding. I do agree Abby, cuteness in a small bundle.

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Awesome collections, Sue! Double-century, too. Exciting to see the white morph of the grey goshawk (I saw one in a book as a little boy, and then yours is the second pic! stunning). In contrast, your kelp gull in flight (210) is the grumpiest looking bird I've seen in a while. :D

Super cute hooded plover couple - I reckon you're right, the cuddling humans would be totally oblivious. IN the same way folks walking and talking loudly into their phones, cyclists shouting at each other,  around the Jerrabomberra wetlands don't quite get the birding life.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Michael. The white morph Grey Goshawk is a beauty which you will see one day. Maybe a visit to Tassie as I believe Dale said they are not uncommon there. Agree that is a grumpy looking Gull, it was not impressed with our presence.

As to cyclists etc, I thank those who use their bell! Jerrabomberra was quite busy when I visited. 

sue818
sue818's picture

I have taken 176 off my list so 1 less bird until I replace it. Convinced at the time that it was a Brush Cuckoo as really buff undertail only. However, it is uncommon in the area and looking at the barring on the tail feathers, they are more like a Fan-tailed Cuckoo. There is also a hint of yellow to the eye-ring on the photo although I could not see that on the live bird. Apologies.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Wow Sue, I don't know where to start! What an inspirational trip, and looks like Dale gave you excellent tips and advice for your birding journey too! Well done on all the birds the two of you got together, and all the other birds you stacked up along the way; if I were your husband I would feel very well rewarded with Bruny Island oysters and cheese!! :) 

What a beautiful island and state Tasmania is, my brother-in-law is over there this year so I'm hoping that gives us a good excuse to visit at some point :) Between you and Dale I think I could stay for weeks with all your suggestions of birding sights and places to eat!! Mmm

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Danika, 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Danika, it was a fabulous trip and Dale was extremely helpful as well as great company. Hubbie really enjoyed his rewards rating the oysters amongst the best he's had.You should go while your brother is there as well worthwhile.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Just catching up now on your pics Sue, and wow so much to catch up on! Your Tassie trip looks wonderful, so many awesome bird pics, other wildlife and scenery in general. I have only been to Tasmania once, when I was about 12 but I loved it then. Hoping to go back next year.

I love the Pademelon, and such great shots of the Musk Lorikeet, but can't go past those gorgeous robins :-).

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Karen. A lot to take in on that trip and Robins are fabulous birds.

sue818
sue818's picture

Replacement 176   Blue-faced Honeyeater... seen in Cobar, NSW. A few birds were feeding in front of our cabin. 

Amazing country ... red earth hidden by all the green growth as we head west to Broken Hill. Standing water in some areas where I've not seen it in the past. Passed 3 pairs of Major Mitchell's (Pink) Cockatoos and a tree full of Bluebonnets. Hope to see some interesting birds as we travel.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

They are a striking looking bird, lovely capture.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Dale. This one is immature as the blue is not so striking but I expect to see some adults along the way. Not many new birds (or even any birds) on our travels at present as it is cold and somewhat windy. Looking for things to pick up as we turn north.

I've seen a few in Port Augusta but hope to get better shots... and stop kicking myself for camera mishap when a White-backed Swallow did a fly past and posed so well for me! Purple-crowned Lorikeets in the flowering gums around me as I sit in the cabin... what a treat.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Sounds like you are having a nice trip Sue. Enjoy the sights. Nice shot of  the immature Blue-faced Honeyeater. 

sue818
sue818's picture

219   Gouldian Finch... just cannot resist posting this one. Must have been 50+ in the flock, what a treat in Darwin.

Heaps more birds to come but I need to find time for processing and deleting excess pictures!

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube