Sue's Big Year 2022

243 posts / 0 new
Last post
dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

That's a great shot of a beautiful bird, I wouldn't be able to wait to share either. Looking forward to some more.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Oh wow Sue!! So beautiful! And amazing point focus on the little cutie! Great work

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Fantastic! I missed the Gouldian Finches, was that at Lee Point? 

For now I will briefly enjoy my elevated 'unique species' count, which will be obliterated once you update from your trip lol :-). But I'm looking forward to seeing all your new captures.

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Really enjoying these shots of unknown species, especially all the new (for me) honeyeaters and Robins. That pink one is hard to believe.Also a fan of the fungi! 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks all. The Gouldians were still at Lee Pt near our last night's accommodation. As to the focal plane, Danika, I sat on the ground (after checking someone would help me up if necessary!)  It produces wonderful shots if you can do it. 
Plenty more to come now Wifi is better but I still need to process. Dale & Michael, numerous new birds for you still to come. Glad you liked the fungi, Michael and the Pink Robin is a beauty. 

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

That is a stunning shot Sue! And I'm hoping they are still around in September. Loooking forward to seeing what else you saw in NT.

sue818
sue818's picture

wedgeJust a few as I have to make a start. Internet has been truly awul and I am using my phone as a hotspot. Oddly this trip, we have encountered Optus rather than Telstra is covering some remote areas. Of course, we are with Telstra! At least, the public phone was free so we could check in with home.

220   Crested Bellbird... seen and heard often at Cobar... awful shot so this is an EBC.

221   Little Crow... seen in Wilcannia and thought it was that species but had it confirmed by ABID as really our Crows and Ravens look so alike.

222   Yellow-throated Miner... seen at Dunmarra in NT. Numerous birds around but I just forgot to photograph them.

223   Chirruping Wedgebill... seen at the Arid Lands Gardens in Port Augusta. Usually easy to get a decent shot but this day they kept their distance and conditions prevented me trying for longer. No fact sheet

224   Rainbow Lorikeet... overlooked this one at home so here is one in case I forget. Please check the nape as I'll add a Red-collared Lorikeet later for comparison.

225   Southern Whiteface... seen in Cobar as well as the Arid Lands. I just love the feather that the one in Port Augusta was holding but the light was better on the Cobar bird.

226   White-browed Babbler... seen in the Arid Lands in harsh light. It was a weekend and these were in the children's garden walk so no hope getting better at that time.

227   Australian Spotted Crake... seen in Coober Pedy seen in perfect light in a little waterway beside the road to the sewerage works. Picked this shot from so many as it shows all the key features. 

228   Zebra Finch... seen in huge numbers at a little dam near a rest stop about 110km north of Coober Pedy. The noise and flying birds drew me to the dam where there were numerous Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches and such like.

229   Crimson Chat... awful shot from the same dam... they went unnoticed until processing but confirmed by ABID. Would love to have posted a male in full colour.

sue818
sue818's picture

Plenty more to come but internet keeps dropping out and I have to redo work so packing it in for the night. Should prove interesting with people visiting every state this year. We might get to see a great assortment of birds as our backyards change!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Keep them coming Sue, I am being educated about the variety of species available to be seen. Fantastic photos of great birds.

I am running out of superlatives to use, so sorry, if I repeat some.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Okay, thanks Dale. Here come a few upgrades or extras then I'll try for some new ones. All dependent on my phone hotspot.

Left Sydney for Dubbo, Cobar, Broken Hill to Port Augusta and on to Coober Pedy, Kulgerra and Alice Springs. It was not warm and Dubbo was wet and windy. The wind continued as did the cold but the rain held off until after Alice Springs. I was a bit rusty and the joints a bit unwilling but with possum wool socks & cardigan, I was out there. Not the time I usually travel so birds were not so easy to find being winter and plenty of water to be found.

replacement 105   Diamond Dove... from a rest stop near a dam 110km from Coober Pedy

replacement 108   Australian Pipit... on the road to Coober Pedy

replacement 110   Rufous Songlark... singing its heart out at the old reservoir in Cobar

replacement 128   Variegated Fairy-wren (Purple-backed)... a pair showing off at the old reservoir in Cobar

replacement 129   White-winged Fairy-wren... an average shot from the Arid Lands in Port Augusta

replacement 143   Little Grassbird... a surprise at the little waterway in Coober Pedy... not sure it is a much better image

replacement 152   Singing Honeyeater...always on show at the Arid Lands in Port Augusta

replacement 160   Emu.... a mob on the road to Coober Pedy

sue818
sue818's picture

A couple of beautiful 'pigeons' from my travels as I find some time to process shots. Many more to come.

230   Spinifex Pigeon... seen at Ormiston Gorge in the West MacDonnell ranges out of Alice Springs, NT. A beautiful place and then these little beauties wandered by for a dust bath displaying upper and under-wing shots. Saw them in a number of places from here to Cloncurry in Qld.

231   Torresian Imperial-pigeon... in Katherine early one evening, a couple of these large birds flew in to roost overnight in a dense palm but caught one just before it shifted to the palm.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow Sue hard to pick a favourite photo! Stunning selection of birds. Would love to see the Spinifex Pigeon one day. 

sue818
sue818's picture

A couple more from our travels.

232   Western Bowerbird... easily seen at the Olive Pink gardens in Alice Springs. Must admit to initially thinking these were Spotted bowerbirds until I read the info and realised that the Western Bowerbird extends into this area. Picked this shot as it includes the bower. I had some with two birds at the bower but only one was in focus so think this is the best view. Could not resisit adding one more to show the throat pattern as well.

233   Great Bowerbird... at a rest stop between Dunmarra and Mataranka in NT. You'll note the difference in colour and pattern on the birds but both collect white and green for the bower. No fact sheet.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Abby, they are great looking birds and can be quite numerous in some paces. These were wandering around the cafe in Ormiston Gorge but generally I have to work harder to find them. Plenty more birds to come but internet still iffy.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Again some fantastic shots, I love them all, but I think the Western Bowerbird and Freat Bowerbird will be my new favourite.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Agree with Dale on the bowerbirds - new for me, and clear, sharp shots too. Are they macadamia's near the western bowerbird's bower?  Hope you're still enjoying your travels. :)

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks guys. Don't think they were macadamia but some sort of native fruit. You might have new favourites when I find time for processing more shots. We might have covered most of the Australian Robins by the time I post mine and I have other real cuties to come. Have been tired and internet awful and I have so many photos to process... I must get better at culling!

Still travelling but turn for home in a day so winding back a bit. Hot and humid in Cairns but surprisingly cool breeze in Townsville. The trip has delivered me two lifers which is pretty amazing. Noot difficult birds to find except when I go looking. It has been a great trip but i am ready for my own bed and comforts like a good chair to sit on..

Just posting a few as quite late.

234   Brown Honeyeater... a loud common honeyeater but I quite liked these poses. All from the NT: Alice Springs and Dunmarra.

235   Hooded Robin... saw these robins in a number of places which surprised me. Wonderful to see males and females in the Eastand West MacDonnell Ranges and Dunmarra.

236   Jacky Winter... another robin that was seen in a number of places. I popped across the road (after the rain eased!) and found  a number of birds near a waterhole. As usual, the jacky Winter was cooperative and posed nicely on a wire giving a lovely focal plane and bokeh. They are very busy birds going from perch to ground and not necessarily coming back to the same spot.

Also a few extra shots that I quite like:

Replacement 61   young Whistling Kite... (note the spots) from Dunmarra where it called constantly to the parents and practised short flights and an adult sadly holding a slice of bread.

Replacement 32   Willie Wagtail... taking a bath at dunmarra in a muddy puddle... maybe a celebration of the rain.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Awsome photos Sue, love the Hooded Robins, and the whistling Kite are spectacular. They are all fantastic.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Dale. Slowly processing and home tomorrow (left in June) so plenty to come. Trying to sort out how best to present them. Decided these three could be posted together as all seen in the NT.

A mixed flock of Masked and Black-faced WS were feeding the and around the trretops at this little rest stop. They would all take flight then settle in another tree full of blossom. It was great to see and compare the birds.

237   Masked Woodswallow... from Dunmarra and a rest stop, north of Daly Waters.

238   Black-faced Woodswallow...from Dunmarra and the rest stop, north of Daly Waters

239   Little Woodswallow... seen at the cemetery in Pine Creek . Not a massive flock but a nicely posing one in great light. This was some time later but fits well with the other two for comparison. No fact sheet.

Just a taste as I still have internet issues using my phone and I don't want to overwhelm anyone.

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Getting some beautiful photos Sue! The Jacky Winter and whistling kite are excellent. Helpful group of three woodswallows for comparison. Keep them coming!

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Stunning photos of some very cool birds Sue! Looking forward to seeing the rest. (No pressure!) Head up to Darwin in 2 weeks, just a tad excited! 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Sue, your travels are yielding incredible results. You must have had an incredible time :) and you've smashed the 200 mark as well!

Tasmania and Darwin and almost everything in between! Isn't the Grey Goshawk (white morph) stunning? One of my absolute favourite birds.

So many beauties... but I can't go past your 40 Spotted Pardalote. I am soooo jealous! Well done.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. Apologies for the delay in posting more from my travels but arrived home last week and have been so busy. I am trying to process the photos from one place each day (failing miserably at that goal) as some birds were seen a number of times, making it difficult to choose the best shot. Plenty to come including 2 lifers! As a teaser, I'll add a few more.

240   Yellow-tinted Honeyeater... seen in a number of places so I will add 2 shots that I like. These are really cute birds which were around the Dunmarra to Mataranka area. Check out the markings to differentiate it from other similar birds. No fact sheet.

241   Red-backed Kingfisher... a stunning little bird but a bit shy. It was sitting on the wires as we drove into Daly Waters so obligingly hubbie waited as I stalked it. First shot is a bit soft but it shows the colouring. Driving past the next day, I checked the same area and sure enough, the bird was there but it was blowing a gale so, a bad hair day.  No fact sheet.

242   Double-barred Finch... saw this one at a little rest stop north of Daly Waters and could not resist that dapper black and white look. A common bird usually but not so much this trip. 

Hope that keeps it interesting without overload. I thought of posting in groups rather than places until I realised the number of Honeyeaters that were photographed. That would be overload!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Some more great birds since I last checked in. They are all fantastic, with great photos to boot.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Wow! 3 gorgeous birds captured beautifully. Thanks Sue! The yellow-tinted HE I had to look up in my guide book, never even heard of it before.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

What wonderful birds! All lifers for me. Love them all. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks all. Apologies for the delay in posting but so busy now I'm home and have to process because of same bird in several places. Hopefully I can now post the best shot. So here are a few and only two of these have Fact Sheets. There was not a lot flowering despite the rain as it was still winter.

243   Leaden Flycatcher... saw these in numerous places but these are my favourite pictures of them. AFirst is a lovely male from Mt Surprise township, then two shots of a female from Mataranka. No worries trying to tell them from Satin which made life easy.

243   Lemon-bellied Flycatcher (Flyrobin)... which is actually a robin. This is a gorgeous little bird and very common in the north. I was lucky to get a good view of this one at Bitter Springs in Mataranka, NT. You must try floating down the waterway from this thermal spring which is natural suurroundings rather than the concrete pool at the Mataranka Springs. You can see and hear birds in the trees and reeds around you as you float along. No fact sheet.

245   Masked Finch... another bird seen in a few places like Mataranka and the Mamukala Wetlands in Kakadu. Worth comparing them to the Long-tailed Finch which I'll post later. I often see these ones on burnt ground, picking up toasted seed perhaps. No fact sheet

246   Paperbark Flycatcher... looks very like a Restless Flycatcher but those are not found in this area. This one posed over the thermal spring right next to me. I love that blue-black sheen if you can capture it in the right light. No fact sheet

247... Rufous-throated Honeyeater... another very common bird but you need to see the throat to confirm. This one posed nicely at Mataranka. No fact sheet.

248   Shining Flycatcher... a stunning pair of birds with the male (from Mataranka) being blue-black and the female (from Cooinda in Kakadu) a beautiful rufous with black head. Not uncommon and I have seen them around the water and thermal springs. No Fact Sheet

249   White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike... seen in a number of places so I've chosen a couple of photos. Note the diagnostic bit of white at the back edge of the eye and I think it is a Katydid on the breakfast menu. Quite widespread with the first from Humbles Creek, NT about 12 km down the Buntine Highway and the last from Cairns, Qld. No Fact Sheet

250   White-gaped Honeyeater... another common bird but I only managed one photo this trip. Not sure why that was but it was not my usual time of travel and we encountered a day of rain at Mataranka... the birds came out when the rain stopped and bathed in the puddles. No Fact Sheet

251   White-throated Gerygone... both birds are from Mataranka but the last is a young bird which I had to query on ABID to differentiate from a young Fly-robin. Awful shots but very tricky getting clear shots of a small bird is flitting through so many leaves high up and barely stopping.

252   White-throated Honeyeater...from Mataranka. I was sitting on the porch when this adult came in to bathe after the rain while the young bird stayed in the tree. Another of those honeyeaters where you need to study the colour of the crescent over the eye and under the chin. No Fact Sheet

sue818
sue818's picture

Thought I might post a few improvements.

replacement 101   Rainbow Bee-eater... hard to pass by such stunning birds especially when they use the tree at my porch as a launching post. Not sure I even need a replacement but I like them. A very relaxing time watching the aerial acrobatics.

replacement 135   Brolga... a young one from Mataranka then a parent, just hanging out in a park off the main street of Mataranka (Stuart Highway). Then a flight shot from Chinaman's Reservor at Cloncurry. 

Still processing photos but some interesting birds to come including my 2 lifers!

sue818
sue818's picture

This trip was timed poorly being school holidays so accommodation was more difficult with so many people travelling... many in new caravans. I've not seen so many vans on the road with a number damaged due to inexperience. We stay in cabins, roadhouses and motels and generally they are easily booked... but not on this occasion so off to Timber Creek for a few days to use up time. Check the map and you'll see that a little further and we would have been in WA.

Timber Creek is a very small township and accommodation is tight so we took the last cabin at the hotel (very expensive as it had 4 single beds in two rooms and cooking facilities) which is often used by small birding tours. Two tours came through while we were there. A great birding location and I managed a lifer! On the way , it is worth taking a quick detour down to Humbles Creek on the Buntine Highway (already posted one photo)... bad time of day and little seeding or flowering so finches in short supply this time. So it was off to the town, check in and head for the backyard for the resident birds. None of these birds have fact sheets!

253   Buff-sided Robin... at least one pair are resident here so easily spotted... one even came in and bathed in the sink of the camp kitchen! I kicked myself for missing the action as a pair tousled at my doostep but at that exact moment the baking Owl called so I raced off to change my lens and find the owls. Not sure I'll post those shots but here is the robin. It is medium sized robin and likes the foliage along the creek so often watching from a low branch or the fence. Cocks its tail and flicks the wings. Quite handsome to my mind and quite photogenic.

I visited a few places around the town including the Town Lookout where it was blowing a gale but the birds did not care as the Wooly Butt trees were flowering. There were so many birds flitting from one tree to another that it was hard to keep track. Great views of the Victoria River and the town and sunsets are beautiful. Perhaps only Australians would call a tree a Wooly Butt because the thick bark on the lower trunk offers some protection from fire.

254   Banded Honeyeater... probably the most common bird that day but he adults (first picture) were accompanied by a lot of young birds (brown with have some yellow on the head). 

255   Grey-fronted Honeyeater... another one to distinguish from other honeyeaters... the grey front is at the front of the head just above the beak (not the chest as one might think!). I've added another shot from the road to Heartbreak Hotel (Cape Crawford) as it shows the whole bird quite well

256   Silver-crowned Friarbird... hard to miss that horny bill but a striking bird in its own way. Also liking the Wooly Butts!

257   Red-browed Pardalote... a lifer! I ventured down the dreadful road to Policeman's Point (caravans forbidden, which was new!) and could hear the bird calling all around me but no luck locating such a small thing. Next day I went back with hubbie to look at the Victoria River crocodiles and as we passed a deep cleft in the clay...out flew a Pardalote to join its partner above our heads! It continued to call and flew across to a stick near the cleft as we moved past. Great views so I was very happy. It made my day but I still don't know if it was complaining at us or calling its mate as the sound was the same as the day before. 

There were numerous other birds at the lookout like Black-tailed Tree-creeper but I could not get close this time so no pic. However, there were a couple of surprises.

As we talked to a guy about photography and birds, a White-browed Woodswallow landed on his arm... I'm madly backing up and saying hold still so not a brilliant photo but what an experience (I sent him proof).

The other surprise was a female Gouldian Finch flew in and stayed around long enough for a shot. Quite a treat as this was before Lee Point in Darwin and I'd already checked some other locations. Finally a bonus flower.

sue818
sue818's picture

Not counted for the Big Year but just to illustrate an exercise in getting it right. The Barking Owls at Timber Creek were taken one day apart but timing was the difference. First one was almost compleetely dark but recovered with DXO processing while the second photo was next day but 15 minutes earlier and with much slower shutter speed. The birds would fly in and call before moving off quite quickly. I could not even see that its back was to me! Both f2.8, 200mm, ISO 10000 but shutter speed was 1/2500 for the first and 1/160 for the second. I forgot to check it!!!

sue818
sue818's picture

We moved on to Pine Creek for our next stop in the NT. I like this place and the cabin at the lazy Lizard is quite good although the resident Green Tree Frog surprised me as it peeked out of the basin which explained why there was no grid over that plug hole. Apparently it keeps returning to various places in this cabin. I worried about covering it in soap! Pine Creek is known for a special bird, the hooded parrot and it is worth the trip to see them.

258   Hooded Parrot... rare to uncommon and only found in the Top End. You hear them call as they fly in each afternoon but often they are hanging about quietly. Finally managed a morning shot of a beautiful male without any twigs interfering and then a female posed nicely on a palm frond. The sprinklers in the park are a popular spot when it is dry. No fact sheet

259   Yellow (or Green) Oriole... as distinguished from the Olive-backed Oriole which has a white streaked front. This bird was in the little park which is contains a series of ponds where the birds like to bathe. This one decided to pose in the sunshine for me which I quite liked. No fact sheet

260   Red-tailed Black-cockatoo... a pair of these striking birds were dining in the little park in great light. I suspect that this is a younger one as less spotting on the head but no frontal shots. Saw them quite often but this was the closest I got. easily located by the sound and size!

261   Radjah Shelduck... a beautiful duck and I saw them with youngsters in a couple of places. These are from Pine Creek waterworks but there were so many at Foog Dam near Darwin. Not the best shots as I'm standing on the car's step leaning on the door and shooting through the wire fence.The white eyes are striking but I could not show the lovely green panel in the wings. No fact sheet

262   Varied Sitella (ssp leucoptera)... this was a real treat. I moved from the waterworks to the cemetary where a number of birds appeared as it was on the edge of the woodland. I don't recall seeing this white-winged sub-species before and a pair of them flew in and worked the trees. Pretty happy with the shots except the flight shot but it shows those white wingbars.

263   Pied Butcherbird...  a pair were hanging about at the waterworks working the meadow but this is a better shot from Mataranka and is good for comaprison to the next bird.

264   Silver-backed Butcherbird... we made a special trip to Umbrawarra Gorge to get this bird. After a beautiful walk in the gorge , we had morning tea in the campground where this bird appeared. Same place as I've seen it before so seems to be resident. Note the white throat and lack of white lores. No fact sheet

replacement/extra 21   Grey Butcherbird from Broken Hill for comparison

A few extras from the area:

replacement/extra 103   Brown Quail from Pine Creek... not sure whow as more surprised when I flushed it near the waterworks

replacement/extra 104   Bar-shouldered Dove from Pine Creek... love that it's walking the rail

replacement/extra 130   Striated Pardalote from Mataranka and Pine Creek cemetary. Also seen in Darwin so quite common.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow what an amazing trip. That Buff-sided Robin is pretty special. Hard to choose a favourite though.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Abby. I rather like the robins and have more to come. We left Pine Creek for Jabiru in Kakadu National Park and a luxurious stay at the Anbinik Resort... offered 2 nights in an up-market room so grabbed it. The outdoor rainhead shower was wonderful --- corrugated iron walls, pebblecrete base to stand on surrounded by large pebbles and a tree limb to hold the towels while showering. Room for two but on the final night, there was a knock on door and we were asked to stay in the bedroom until they removed the Slatey Grey snake from the bathroom!  Restful nights usually as during the day, I was off checking for birds at Mamukala Wetlands and Yellow Waters Billabong.

265   Crimson Finch...seen in numerous places but I like these from Mamukala and later in the Caranbarini Nature reserve over towards Borroloola. You can see that these are the Black-bellied form which was/is a separate species from the white-bellied Cape York form. 

266   Bar-breasted Honeyeater...  seen in a few places including Yellow Waters Billabong in Kakadu and at Caranbarini so a picture from each place to show the difference between young bird and adult. The last from Caranbarini is the adult with barring not broad streaks. No fact sheet

267   Arafura Fantail... not a Rufous Fantail as it is not found here and there are slight differences. A stunning bird which posed so nicely. A pair were flitting around in the dense bush near the bird hide at Mamukala. No fact sheet

268   Brush Cuckoo... a young one hanging about near the fantails so I wonder if they raised it. Hard to get a decent shot of a darkish bird in the shadows. Checked the ID on ABID but with that barring, I was quite confident. Would not want to miscall it again!

269   Comb-crested Jacana... just had to post this shot of the adult with that amazing foot and a youngster in front of the bird hide at Mamukala. Plenty of water about so not like the end of the dry season when anything is likely to turn up as the birds mass here.

270   Green Pygmy-goose... a beautiful little bird but had a little trouble getting the light right. The green is quite irridescent but the white blows easily. That patterning is so intricate. Wanted to add a Cotton Pygmy-goose but no luck finding one this trip. No fact sheet

271   Torresian Crow... nothing else in the neighbourhood at Mamukala so quickly took a shot before I forgot about it! Was feeling quite hot and tired by this time.

272   Wandering Whistling-duck... a number at Mamukala and at Fogg Dam near Darwin. The black head makes it easy to differentiate from the Plumed Whistling-duck and they are often seen together in a mixed flock.

Then a few upgrades from the same area.

replacement/extra  19   Great Egret with a very small fish from Mamukala

Replacement/extra 74   Plumed Whistling-duck from Fogg Dam for comparison

replacement/extra  77   Nankeen Night-heron from Mamukala right outside the bird hide

replacement/extra 118   Rufous Whisttler ... female from Mataranka and male from Caranbarini. Note this female (ssp falcata) has a lighter bill 

sue818
sue818's picture

Moving along to Darwin meant visits to Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve, an amazing place that is a 'must see' for birders. We called in on the way through to Darwin and then I went back early next morning.

You can drive along the 'wall' very slowly taking pictures although there are a few stopping spots. Walking is not permitted along here because of the threat from crocodiles and I have some rather gruesome shots to prove that they are there. Birds flock in huge numbers so I did not try to count all the Pied Herons, Whsitling-ducks, Radjah Shelducks and so on. It is wise to use plenty of bug spray as some areas are mosquito ridden especially the boardwalks through the vegeatation.

273   Black Bittern... spied this bird flying in as I spoke with a fellow birder/ photographer at the start of the wall. Lucky to get a few shots as it came down and lifted off to a better spot before vanishing into the reeds. Not easy to find these and get a shot.

274   Black-necked Stork... female has yellow eyes while the male has dark eyes. Saw both catching fish which gave the appearance of dancing. Also had a couple fly overhead in other places but these were the best. A really striking bird.

275   Pied Heron... another beautiful bird which is seen in a variety of plumage depending onage and breeding. I like this one showing that plume. No fact sheet

276   Forest Kingfisher... a stunning bird which posed in magical light. Actually there were 3 close together near the start of the wall and others along the way. This is a great place to find them.

277   Little Bronze-cuckoo... got to love that red eye ring and green irridesence. A common bird in the Top End but the only one I saw this trip. No fact sheet

278   Rufous-banded Honeyeater... finally managed a shot to show the rufous band as it is often quite faint. Compare it to the Rufous-throated Honeyeater and you'll see why a frontal shot is necessary. No fact sheet

279   White-browed Crake... a really distant shot as it foraged under the lily/ lotus pads but I hope it is clearly identifiable. Highly cropped and sharpened but difficult to find them. No fact sheet

280   Grey (Brown) Whistler... a poor shot of the adult and I think a great shot of a juvenile as it is more rufous including touch on cheek. Not a Grey Shrike-thrush and don't think Little Shrikethrush. ABID not responding but Merlin agrees with Grey Whistler. Our list has it as a Brown Whistler as the Grey-headed Whistler is now split and resides on Cape York. No fact sheet

That is it for now as I need to get more processed but still plenty to come. No point overloading you or you'll never pick a favourite! Just visit a different state to get new birds.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

I my goodness, that was a breathtaking experience looking at all those wonderful photos and fabulous birds. Too many favourites to pick just one, so I won't. A very rewarding trip(s).

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Dale, it was very rewarding to again see so many birds that I had missed over the past couple of years. Apologies for the over load but glad that you have enjoyed the experience. I have kept shots other than birds to a minimum but will share a couple just to show the difference rain had made. My husband's pictures (because they're easier to find) of the Tennant Creek Telegraph station, first in 2018 and second this year. (apologies for just phone pics)

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Sue some more fabulous photos! Do quite love the Forest Kingfishers though. And thats quite an interesting difference too of the Tennant Creek Telegraph Station. Like Dale said, what a very rewarding trip!

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Congrats, Sue! What an awesome collection. Are you able to rest yet? Also, I am wondering how many lifers you have left still to chase? Any that you hunted this trip and still eluded you?

Something about the dance pose in the third shot of the storks was very disco. Thanks for sharing such a great experience.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Abby and Michael. It was a great trip but home was beckoning after so long on the road. Too busy to rest Michael, as much to do and so many more birds to post.

Plenty of lifers still to photograph but they are becoming harder to find so two in one trip was rewarding as I have looked for the second (still to post) for years. I did not specificialy target lifers but did try for unusual birds ... saw a number but could not get a decent photo such as Black-tailed Treecreeper (photgraphed before in same spot but no decent shot this time) and Little Button-quail (which would have been a lifer!). Cannot believe that I flushed Button-quail twice in the same spot and still no picture as they went to ground really fast or flew off so quickly.... a really obscure place on the Tableland Highway out of the Barkly Homestead. I did look for a Grey Falcon in the spot near there but only Black Kites in residence at the time... I spied it once some time ago so I'll keep looking as it would be a lifer.

Hope fully you are not overwhelmed and I can get some more unusual birds posted soon

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Just catching up on all your latest posts Sue, what an amazing collection from your trip. How cool to see the little Woodswallow come close for a landing :-). I love the little Arafura Fantail and fantastic shot of the Black-necked Stork. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh wow, Sue, what a fantastic trip, and awesome birds! I'm so jealous - would love to be on the road doing that :-) 

Its not overload - love all the birds - but ya, its hard to pick favourites. It must have been wonderful to see the Black-necked Storks "dancing" like that. And your Buff-sided Robin - very exciting! How cool to get such satisfying shots of a new bird :-) Love all the honeyeaters too - you might have seen them all before, but many of those were new to me. Great photos, looking forward to seeing more. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Karen and Alex. The Little Woodswallow landed right next to me so I was very lucky as I was also to see so many different birds. The trip was a reset after so long not visiting the areas that we love... hubbie kept requesting red earth. I f we had the time it would have been so easy to slip across the border to WA so perhaps next year.

You said you were willing to see more, Alex, so here we go.

A few birds from Darwin:

281   Chestnut-breasted Mannikin... so many were feeding on the Gamba grass at Lee Point along with the Gouldian Finches. What a treat to see these in lovely morning light... various ages so I'll post a few. Love the young ones with little marking. Gamba Grass is an introduced species which is unwelcome in many places and Lee Point is in danger with further housing planned. Perhaps a corridor will be maintained but Iand is in short supply in Darwin with the airport is in the middle of everything.

282   Red-winged Parrot... saw these in a number of places as it ranges quite widely. Such a striking bird with that amazing colour. These ones were also at Lee Point near the little dam. It was all happening in this small area.

283   Broad-billed Flycatcher... finally managed a shot to show that the tail feathers are graduated unlike those in a Leaden. It was flitting about on the Mangrove Walk at East Point in Darwin. The bird watchers had all gathered at the end of the walk so numerous eyes could spot the various birds in the mangroves. No fact sheet

284   Red-headed Honeyeater... saw a few at Rapid Creek in Darwin but the beautifully coloured male was camera shy so here is a less coloured feamle or youngster. I've seen these only once before and it was also in the mangroves in Darwin.  No fact sheet

285   Dusky Honeyeater... one from Lee Point in Darwin, NT and another from Abbatoir's Swamp near Julatten in Qld. Neither are great shots but I quite like the second one despite the foliage obscuring the clarity. Not an uncommon bird but few plants were flowering so I had trouble getting any shot of one. No fact sheet

I have another bird from the Mangrove Walk but on posting I had second thoughts on the ID so I'll get it clarified first. Now for a bonus shot because I like it and think that you will as well.

Gouldian Finches at Lee Point, Darwin NT... red heads and black heads, a few of the many in the surrounding trees.

sue818
sue818's picture

Now for just a few from the Katherine area;

286   Blue-winged Kookaburra... finally got a nicely posing bird at Nitmiluk Gorge and thought that I had missed the flight shot but once bcak at the cabin I got a pleasant surprise. Really gorgeous looking bird but the call is veryy different and could never be mistaken for a laugh! There were so many people visiting the Gorge this day that we did not try for a cruise and justt enjoyed the grounds and walks.  Check out the ABG :what a description ... "mad-looking white iris and insane-sounding calls".

287    Northern Rosella ... this took some finding as I had looked unsuccessfully in a few places. Luckily, I teamed up with a young birder that I had met in Darwin and joined him at Donkey Camp Weir, a new spot for me and a bit difficult to locate without EBird directions. You enter over private property to reach the river. We saw a number of other birds and thought we heard the Rosellas but no luck until another couple of birders called us over. They had been walking back to the car when they spotted a pair feeding quietly. Success at last. Posting two pictures so you can see back and front. Quite different to other Rosellas as you can see.

288   Northern Fantail... from Donkey Camp Weir in NT and another from Abbatoir's Swamp in Qld. You'll note the less distinct eybrow on the large head, streaky breast and long white tips to the tail feathers. These were quite cooperative birds and posed fairly well. The bird from Qld just hung around the carpark while the one from katherine stayed high in the trees and flitted around much more. No fact sheet.

That is it for now We packed to leave Katherine, turned the ignition and the car failed to start. The jumpstarter got us going again but it is Sunday on a public holiday weekend and we are turning East to Heartbreak Hotel travelling on roads that should never be called highways. More importantly, where could we get a battery? 

As luck would have it, we stopped for a toilet break in Mataranka, a very small town. Across the road, a cafe (which had been closed for 3 years) was open, so we enjoyed some home-cooked goods and thought about what we should do next. A lady on a pushbike stopped when she saw us and came in for a coffee. On enquiring if she was local, we were surprised to hear that she was only on the bike as her car was down at the mechanics for a quick fix. Coffee hastily finished, we were down there in a flash, battery checked, replacement required and installed. Safe to continue on our journey without the worry of breaking down in some obscure location.

Next instalment will be some interesting birds from those obscure locations and some more about those 'highways'. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Ohhh those Gouldian Finches... lovely shot! They are high on my list of must-see birds, have never seen them and am so keen to. I love finches generally, but these are next level. And you got a great capture there. I was reading there is a big push going on to protect that little bit of grassland from development because the Gouldians are breeding there again now for the first time in ages, so fingers crossed. But I never bet against developers.and their mates in government.. :-( 

I found Donkey Camp a couple of years ago when I was working on the Katherine Solar Farm - a great spot, very productive for all sorts of birds. Never saw those Northern Rosellas though, they are very pretty. Love the "mad" kookaburra too - I remember hearing my first ones up there, and thinking what on earth is that?! 

Loving your trip posts, looking forward to more - and ya, tell us about the adventures too :-) 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Alex, I agree that the Gouldians Finches are special. I could not resist posting the first photo early on but thought this group shot was interesting. So more on the story.

I should say that we were lucky to have such a small problem. While filling up in Katherine next to us, a driver left his wife looking peeved and headed for the office. I worried as she stuck a ciggie in her mouth and hunted for a lighter before changing her mind. My husband came back after paying for our diesel to say that the fellow had put in 40-50L of unleaded fuel instead of diesel! Now that is a problem as he could not move until emptied and flushed... in Katherine on a Sunday of a public holiday weekend!

With the battery replaced (it was the original one that came with the car in 2017), we were back on our way. There were some roadworks and some great new road. However, Katherine to Heartbreak Hotel is 542km of mostly 'skinny strip' road with numerous potholes, repairs, high broken & crumbling edges and no towns. Skinny strip is one lane of bitumen meaning both vehicles need to put one tyre on the dirt in order to pass although trucks are usually given right of way. The 378km out of Heartbreak to Barkly Homestead is even worse with a 'roller coaster' effect added to the experience. It does generate a laugh when a sign showing two lanes is labelled 'overtaking lane ahead' rather than normal road ahead. The high broken edges mean you have to try and select a safe place to get over. You long for a floodway where it is wider and usually well maintained. 

A few awful pictures to demonstrate the road to Barkly HS which is called the Tableland Highway (someone has a sense of humour!). 1: those dark pieces are patches and edge is high. 2: Mitchell grass plains with unfilled potholes and broken crumbling edges. 3: good to bad in an instant with very high crumbling edges eating into the width

We survived the road conditions once more and found some interesting birds along the way. The first time we drove this road it was in a low clearance sportscar in 2013 and the driver was exhausted at the end of it. Now to post the birds from Heartbreak Hotel and the road to Barkly Homestead. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Out along the Carpentaria 'Highway' to Heartbreak Hotel, we stopped at a few rest areas where I expected to find birds and was not disappointed. The area is still very dry so water is a great attractant and travellers often leave water out for the birds at the foot of a water tank --- it does not take long for a bird to appear with its friends. Grey-fronted Honeyeaters, Great Bowerbirds and a number of finches are common. It can be interesting watching the interaction and pecking order...Butcherbirds get space.

289   Long-tailed Finch... compare to the Masked Finch and you will note the differences. This bird was a bit hesitant but after all the Grey-fronted HEs came in to drink and bathe, it posed nicely on the rock. I like this shot as it shows the bird's long tail and the colours are good. No fact sheet

290   Red-collared Lorikeet... more orange colour than our Rainbow birds and that red/orange goes right around the neck as a collar. Numerous birds were attracted to the flowering gums around the roadhouse so it was easy birding this day. There must have been loads of nectar on the blossoms. I have already posted a number of these other birds. No fact sheet

We decided to drive to Borroloola (120km away) for lunch and to visit the Caranbirini Conservation Reserve. The rock formations at Caranbirini are amazing. Some old photos to demonstrate and there is a great little waterhole plus old spinifex on the slopes. However, it was quite hot and the flies were dreadful so did not explore too far this time. The waterhole was quite productive but taking photos with a flynet on is challenging. 

Dipped on the special birds in both places (Purple-crowned Fairy-wren, Carpentarian Grasswren and Sandstone Shrike-thrush) but did enjoy finding this one on the way.

291   Wedge-tailed Eagle... what a magnificent bird, huge wing span and talons to feast on wild pig roadkill. a number of pictures to demonstrate those features. Fortunately, this was on a wider strip of road as quite hard to avoid that pig as it was bloated.

Interestingly, Borroloola also had Telstra phone reception where Heartbreak Hotel only had Optus coverage or the free public phone.These are very isolated places. We moved on south to the Barkly Homestead a couple of days later and found a special bird along the way.

292   Australian Pratincole... each time I have travelled the Tableland Highway, I have seen these birds so I was expecting them but it ook a while. That profile is quite identifiable... wedge-shaped head with swept back, sharply pointed wings. Saw it immediatley and managed to find a spot to stop safely but the bird kept flying ahead (it is actually in the first road picture). However, they turned up again at a little waterhole where I could stop on the floodway and point my lens out the car window as it was my turn to drive and tackle the road. Success as I then had to move off as another car appeared.

There were a number of other birds but nothing new even at Barkly Homestead (where I missed a shot of the Little Button-quail so no lifer!). Plenty of raptors so I might post them later in the other forum. However, other creatures were around ike this little Dragon (of some sort). This was our last stop in the NT as we turned east and headed for Qld.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Superb Sue, so many great photos. Like Alex, I love the Gouldians. As a child, I wanted so much to have some in our aviary (we used to keep birds, something I no longer have a desire for). I love them all, but I think the Wedgie and Blue-winged Kookaburra are my favourite shots. It is hard to pick favourites with so many lovely birds to pick from.

Also loving the stories behind the photos, and the landscapes as well.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Dale. Stories are great and I'll try to keep it up but earlier I was overwhelmed with all the photos I had to post.

These are a few catch-ups from Darwin as I awaited a confirmation on a couple from ABID and one because I like it. I  was at the end of the Mangrove Walk at East Point in Darwin and this little bird was flitting through the foliage making it quite difficult to get a clear picture (plenty of part bird shots!). Being still there an hour later, I thought it was the same bird flitting around and took a few more shots. After processing, I realised that, although similar, they were in fact different species of Gerygone. Confusingly similar as you can see so I don't feel too guilty. I wonder how many others got confused as there were a few birders present.

293   Mangrove Gerygone... not a great shot but confirmed by ABID. Greyish bird, white supercilium extending behind eye.

294   Large-billed Gerygone... brownish bird, white eyelids but no supercilium, grey wash on side of breast, hefty bill. Also confirmed by ABID. The second shot is from Cattana Wetlands in Cairns where i had no trouble with the ID. No fact sheet

A bonus shot from Lee Point in Darwin... I had forgotten it but quite this photo of a Double-barred Finch in early morning light.

sue818
sue818's picture

Final few for the night and apologies for the overload. I planned to get to 300 but it will have to wait. Most of these places are favourite spots so some birds were expected but there were a lot of people still travelling although NT holidays were over.

Barkly Homestead was quite busy as it is a stop-over for many travellers heading east or west. we had to grab a table fro dinner as soon as one was free. Food was great but staff were working flat out. The rooms are somewhat overpriced now after a big hike while we were on the road. The reason given was a rise in fuel and haulage costs but they never come back down and an extra $40 a night was somewhat excessive in one hit! However, the rooms are quite nice although somebody made an error doing showers and screen layout so you cannot avoid a completely soaked floor and numerous towels are required for safety. One bath mat is inadequate and I am unsure how or when they will correct the problem. The only other issue was that the verandah outside was great until the chain smokers arrived next door. We stopped sitting there and kept the door shut. Gunieafowl also wander the grounds.

I looked for the Grey Falcon but no luck. Plenty of other raptors like Brown Goshawk and Black Kites put in an appearance and dark morph Brown Falcons were everywhere. Eventually, I'll do a separate post on raptors in Best Photos. Numerous budgies and galahs around with the finches feeding on the grass beside the road. 

We soon moved along to Mt Isa but we were not there long enough to find the Kalkadoon Grasswren. I ventured out to Lake Moondarah and found it all so different after fire... there was a new road to explore along the lake and a number of lookouts to check. It was also very popular but such a beautiful spot where the locals can waterski, cycle and hike. Plenty of birds but only a couple for the list.

295   Varied Lorikeet... seems to be a fairly reliable spot near the picnic grounds. There were feeding on the same sort of blossom as seen in Heartbreak and quite vocal. Such a beautiful bird but it does remind me of a clown with that white eye-ring. How do such brilliant colours blend into the surroundings? I had to wait until one presented well in good light but not difficult with so many around. No fact sheet.

296   Indian Peafowl... a wild population here as far as I know so might as well get it posted. An average shot as I was not there for these birds and it was while I was having a cuppa. No fact sheet

More to come as I travelled through some of Queensland.

sue818
sue818's picture

We left Mt Isa and headed east a short way to Cloncurry which is a great little town situated at a crossroads... east to Hughenden, south to Winton and north to Karumba (another great spot... mud crabs, fish, birds, sunsets). Some interesting birds are found in the area like the Cloncurry Ringneck. Of course, this time they failed to appear. Not sure why as there were plenty of varied Lorikeets about in the trees. So I headed off to Chinaman's Reservoir for a wander. There was so much water that you could no longer drive near the edge of the lake and had to use the formed road which is much further back. It was also quite windy so I walked the shoreline and then drove in early next day as plenty of birds were around.

One small mishap... I backed into a small but stout tree! It was of course, right on the back corner of the passenger side and I did not see it. Kicked myself but damage still there so that was another thing to get sorted now I'm home. The last of the mishaps for this trip bar windscreen chips with the flood damaged roads in NSW.

I do love this place as the light in the morning or late afternoon can be magical and some great birds were around. I missed a shot of the Painted Finches despite spying them a few times but distantly. It is hard to keep track when so many small birds dropping into the grass. The end of the lake is a good spot for birds coming down to drink and bathe so I have parked there in the past and used the car as a hide quite successfuly... a parade of species can appear.

297   Budgerigar... a flock flew over our cabin the first evening after landing in nearby trees. Found them next morning when they came down for a drink at the lake's edge. Budgies fly around a number of times checking out a spot before dropping quickly to the water and then lift off almost as fast. They never stay long on the ground.

While driving the back road, I could stop (as no-one else was around) and check the trees. A number birds were studied in this manner but not all stayed around for a clear picture so I was quite pleased to get this shot.

298   Black-chinned Honeyeater (ssp laetior Golden-backed)... another of those white naped honeyeaters but quite distinctive. The golden back stands out and is often easier to see then the black under the chin but the yellow crescent above the eye is also quite distinctive. 

299   Cattle Egret...  I like this one taking off with the deep blue water behind it. There were plenty of different Egrets about as the fishing is good here. This bird had been checking the reedy edge before taking off as I approached. Just a touch of breeding colour appearing but those black legs are quite clear.

Not an impressive picture for the triple century but great to see it here (and at Timber Creek)

300   Caspian Tern... it flew off across the lake and did not reappear but quite a distinctive bird. 

Now for a few bonus shots

replacement 12   Australian Darter... female posing on the edge of the dam wall

replacement 24   Masked lapwing (ssp miles)... thought it might be interesting to see this sub-species; note the large mask but smaller black cap

replacement 37   Magpie Lark... female. I just like this picture better than the earlier one.

replacement 58   Weebill... a pair were flying about my head moving from tree to tree and calling constantly... might have been some mating at one stage. These are small birds amongst a lot of leaves. Wonderful to hear their distinctive call.

There were other birds about but not new for the list. I kept finding Spinifex Pigeons, Double-barred Finches and Woodswallows to name a few.

At Cloncurry, we went to the pub for a meal and dined on typical country fare... I had fresh home-made (not frozen) chicken schnitzel with four different fresh salads and chips while hubby had lamb chops (four of them not two) with plenty of home-made mashed potato and fresh veggies... neither one of us could finish the meal! 

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube