Sue's small year challenge 2019

130 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

I reckon you can crack 200 easily Sue. Love the emu shots, they look like little hoologans. (Quite big hooligans). And your frogmouth is great too - such cool birds. 

sue818
sue818's picture

One improvement and then a few more to add to the count. All of these birds from Warriewood and I heard the Barking Owl again but no picture and missed capturing the Spotted Pardalote. Sorry they are a bit small but saving space on Flickr for the moment. Hoping to get some shorebirds before Christmas so just might get to that number Dale. Still cannot believe the common ones I am missing.

Eastern Great Egret an improvement for 35

183  Aure Kingfisher ... a pleasant surprise as no branches obscuring this beautiful little bird and it was so close to the footpath. Just replaced with a cropped copy because I like it better.

184  Topknot Pigeon... pointed out by a fellow birder but very high and distant as well as shaded

185  Brown Thornbill... awful picture with leaves /branches but the picture with a clear eye had bill completely obscured

sue818
sue818's picture

177 Grey Fantail has been edited as the nest is complete and the bird is now sitting on it. Impossible to bypass as it is right beside the walking path. 

183 Azure Kingfisher has been cropped to show the bird better. This was a very lucky sighting as it was fishing in a little pool where the creek ran under the roadway... in plain sight of a very public footpath as all the kids came past on the way to school. No sticks to obscure the view and good light so I was very happy.

pip-lb
pip-lb's picture

Yes, that kingfisher is a beauty. You've really captured the colours, and what colours!  

Devster
Devster's picture

Love the Egret in breeding plumage and the Azure Kingfisher. Those Azures don't normally stay arond for long. I already have you down as already having a Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike unless I am mistaken.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Dev, absolutely correct so now deleted. Thought I had checked my spreadsheet but obviously missed that one. Yes the Egret with those plumes was too good to miss.

Thanks Pip, I was surprised by the Kingfisher as it was in a very busy area but the light was good. Usually they hide in amongst all the low hanging branches.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

I also love the Kingfisher, and the Egret with its legs disappearing into the vegetation. The breeding plumage is magnificent.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Love the egret, especially with that background. I know exactly where you took that shot, it is a lovely spot. The kingfisher is a beauty too - and sometimes we get lucky. Makes up for all the sticks :-) I saw an azure at my local ponds last week for the first time, but he didn't give me the smallest chance. So it cool to see yours so close and confiding. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Also - aren;'t those topknots crazy? Looks like someone took a circular saw to their heads. The sun catching that second one really elevates the picture. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Alex. Meant to mention that the Olive-backed Orioles are now nesting where we saw them. The shaft of sunlight saved that shot as they were quite distant and high and holding the long lens still enough was challenging! They do have quite a hairdo. The Azure KF was around the corner from where we parked towards the shops. Lovely railing on which to lean the lens.

Thanks Dale, I had to pull the lens back to 150mm and get back a way to fit the entire Egret into the shot. Those plumes were beautiful.

sue818
sue818's picture

Just one improvement 184 Topknot Pigeon and a few new birds from a very smokey Sydney and not great pictures of distant little ones. May head out for shorebirds next weekend

186 Black-faced Monarch... heard numerous times before finalling locating one

187 Varied Sitella... seen often but very distant and constantly moving flock of 5

188 Spotted Pardalote... heard but very difficult to locate high up in the tree and again distant and poorly lit

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Little birds seem to be the hardest to get. Going well Sue, the Black Faced Monarch is an interpreting looking bird. Thanks for sharing.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

Well done Sue given the conditions. Love the Monarch. What Bronze-cuckoo is that with the Sitella, Shinning? We get the White-headed morphs up hear in Qld for the Sitellas. The photo is one I took a few years ago.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks guys. I think that makes 3 different Monarchs from me. Cute little things, those Sittella... love the way they go down the tree. Actually two Varied Sittella (Orange-winged) in the picture but I think the LHS one is immature as quite pale... almost like one from up your way. The Bell Miners have over-run the place so getting hard to find little birds close to the pathway now.

Ducked out yesterday for these birds but felt quite unwell by the time I reached home so stayed inside today. Fingers crossed for a good weekend.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Nice one Sue - love the Monarchs, such striking birds. It really is awful in Sydney at the moment, smells like we are living in a 3-day old fireplace, everyone is coughing and hacking, and my eyes are constantly sore. I'm off to Oregon on the weekend, and while the cold might be a shock (snowing at the moment) I'm looking forward to a respite from the smoke. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Fantastic photo of the White-headed Sitella, Dev. Meant to say that earlier!

sue818
sue818's picture

Finally we had blues skies and little smoke so I ventured out with a little success.

First an improvement on Red-browed Finch 141

It was a beautiful morning and I was rewarded with a new bird plus a couple of others for the challenge

189 Nankeen Night-heron. Usually easy to find but this is the first I've seen for some time at Warriewood and it was having a bad hair day in one shot... too cute to omit it

190 Superb Lyrebird... a real treat found by looking for the origin of a strange sound... not the usual collection of sounds from a lyrebird but a strange call repeated. Of course, it ran off very quickly so it was this sunny shot or one with those sticks!

191 White-throated Needletail... about 15 of them soaring overhead and a lifer for me. I've probably seen them often but never confirmed the ID. You can just see the spines at end of tail. They were very high and moving so pleased to get something.

192 Dollarbird... my final bird. I could hear them but they were staying in the foliage which is a bit unusual for them... powerlines or a bare branch would have been much easier and their normal perch. A reasonable shot but not very crisp.

I did go on to Long Reef but the tide had turned and the water rushing in prevented access to the best spots so no shorebirds to post. Also, no raptors as the hang-gliders had taken over the headland. However, according to my phone, by 10:30 this morning, I had done 11,500 steps and climbed 12 floors!

If this clear sky holds and I can find the time around Christmas plans, then I might find another 8 birds to post. Still missing some really common ones like a Pied Currawong so fingers crossed.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh, that lyrebird is awesome, you did well to catch him with that glorious tail in a shaft of sunlight! How rare, I've stalked them for days, and even if they aren't being shy they are seldom ever out of the shadows. Stunning tail. Love the Nankeen Night-heron too, and the Needletails were a good catch, they aren't easy to photograph either. Nice work, roll on the double-century. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Alex. It was a good day. I have seen Lyrebirds in Irrawong Reserve on other occasions, even a youngster with parent but not for ages. They are often located by the noise, all those different sounds coming from one place... beautiful looking bird when the tail is spread.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Some beautiful shots Sue, the Nankeen Night Heron and the Superb Lyrebeird are probably my favourites. Your Red Browed Finch is delightful, and you have done well with the Needletail.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

Well done Sue. Super Jealous of the Lyrebird but love the photos of the NNH. Glad you managed to be able to get out. Looks like you were rewarded for your efforts. Thats a heap better photo of the Needletail than I was able to get. You managed a unique bird with the Lyrebird and took 3 unique birds off me. haha

sue818
sue818's picture

In case I run out of time, just wanted to thank all the participants in the Small Year Challenge. What fun it has been and so interesting to see all the contributions. Merry Christmas & all the best in life and birding in 2020. Stay safe in this bushfire season.

pip-lb
pip-lb's picture

Thanks Sue, same to you. Especially the bit about staying safe. Not a yet a third of the way through summer so a dangerous time for birds and birders both.

sue818
sue818's picture

We arrived back home from Melbourne around midnight last night after making a late decision not to overnight in Albury. It was coolish rather than hot which was a relief. The highway was open at Euroa for those travelling north but the smoke became bad from there on and we could see the fire still burning. It only got worse smoke wise and then the southerly wind became very strong. There was however some light rain which I hope helped in places. The smoke was very heavy and visibility quite low in places so I was astonished to see cars travelling without lights... witnessed one near miss which was probably because the vehicle could not be seen. 

Will try to get my last few posted today. EBC all of them but just posting so we can count all that has been seen.

sue818
sue818's picture

I have trolled through my pictures for the last three months and found a few that I had forgotten. The Black Bittern reappears as it is identifiable but I have done a bit of photoshoping to make it clearer. So for the purposes of the challenge and that Every Bird Counts, here they are (though some are distant or just dreadful) and I have passed 200 (just for Dale)! I have now finished and am ready to start with a New Year's Day shot just for Dev.

193 Bar-shouldered Dove... not sure how I missed posting this one from Mackay

194 Pacific Emerald-dove... another from Mackay that I missed; might be young one with adult

195 Grey-crowned Babbler... another overlooked but from Bowra as I thought it was already posted

196 Hoary-headed Grebe... and again overlooked this one from Adelaide with head in shadow

197 Little Pied Cormorant... forgot this one from Richmond on the way to Cloncurry

198 Domestic Duck... ancestry unknown but wild. Ditched the chook! Reluctant to post but I did see it loose in Warriewood

199 Pied Currawong with that stick but no opportunity to improve once the smoke rolled in

200 Great Cormorant... missed opportunity near home but never saw another... I managed a great shot of its back as it dived

201 Black Bittern... hopefully improved but highly cropped Looked long and hard for the pair but no luck last year

202 Magpie Goose... very distant but clearly identifiable.. Townsville

203 Pied Oystercatcher... another distant shot but easily identifiable... Port Germain, SA

I would like to say that the challenge was such good fun and I am looking forward to the Big Year. It was not a competition but I feel we have all won something in getting out and enjoying the birds and then sharing with each other. Thank you Alex. The stats should be quite impressive!

Happy New Year... may it rain, rain and rain some more!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Thanks Sue, I think we had little doubt you would make 200. Great effort well done. I'd be happy with all of your photos, even those you consider EBC shots. Thanks to all for participating it's been grouse. Bring on the rain, we all need it so badly.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

What a great collection all up Sue - congrats on an amazing total, and some wonderful photographs. I'm so glad you've enjoyed this - I think we've all had a great time doing it - and looking forward to a huge Big Year 2020 :-) 

Devster
Devster's picture

Wow, well done for reaching 200 Sue. It would have been interesting to see what you would have gotten had the weather been better for you. It was a fun challenge and while it did get my competitive side going, it did accomplish the goal of getting out and about more. Look forward to seeing what you get this year.

sue818
sue818's picture

I did not expect to reach 200 but had forgotten a few. You did incredibly well for a late start. The trip certainly helped but a number of local birds were missed due to the conditions & have not done much birding so far this year. Wanted to get an early start as cataract surgery in February... just as well we have a year 

Should be good fun & I hope to get some travel in outside Sydney. Let us hope conditions improve soon. Keep safe. I am looking forward to what a year will produce for us all. Populations have been decimated but life is resilient.

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube