Tom's Big Year 2021

163 posts / 0 new
Last post
TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

102. Caspian Tern - one I didn't expect to see around here. Flying way overhead.

sue818
sue818's picture

Great Tom, hard to capture a bird in flight. Well done!

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Nice catch :-) 

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Great flight shot, well done.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Well, lockdown is finally over! It's good to be able to get out and about again :) 

103. Common Bronzewing - I was at Blind Bight briefly last week, and these were everywhere.

I spent yesterday morning at Dandenong Police Paddocks Reserve, which is just a wonderful place to go birding. And I celebrated the end of lockdown with three lifers. :)

104. Red-Rumped Parrot - this pair hid in the long grass for a while, then flew up and posed obligingly.

105. Pallid Cuckoo - a rarity at the Reserve, I was lucky to be there at the right time.

106. Shining Bronze-Cuckoo - I'd been told this little fella was around but I thought I'd missed him, until I reviewed my photos. Terrible shot :) but EBC!

sue818
sue818's picture

Well done, Tommy... quite something to get 3 lifers in a day! A Pallid Cuckoo at any time is great and it is a wonderful shot. 

Devster
Devster's picture

Congrats on the lifers. I think I have to go interstate to get that many lifers in one go now. I love the vibrant colours od the male Red-rumped Parrot

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Great work Tommy, glad your lockdowns are done with.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Just a quick call-out, Tom. The challenge has finished this year and we have missed you. Hope all is OK.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Thanks Sue. My year sort of fell apart in the past couple of months and I've been mostly off line and flying under the radar. No chance to get away or pursue any major birding trips, barely any time to do much of anything!

I did keep birding, very local and not terribly exciting... but it was much needed and I'm really glad I have this to give me some downtime and relaxation when I need it. I've learned that sometimes just watching the locals mess about in the trees or a pond is more than enough :)

So anyway, no more birds for my list in 2021. I fell short of my target of 150, but I cracked the century which is nice :) and I'm raring to go again for 2022.

sue818
sue818's picture

Great to see you back, Tom. Also pleased that birding is still giving you such pleasure and relaxation.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Glad to see you excited to go again for 2022 Tommy!

It was hard to keep up the momentum for a while there in 2021 with the lockdowns and being only able to see the same local birds, you did better than me, I gave up the camera altogether for a couple of months!! 

But we've all survived and I'm glad we've all got a new kick of energy to give to the new year :)

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube