Tom's Big Year 2022

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Agh Terns drive me crazy, especially juvenile, immature and non-breeding. Nice explanation of the separating marks, thanks.

Some more nice birds there Tommy, so many would be lifers for me. Ike your work, keep them coming please.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Brilliant update, love your work with the Australian and Asian/Gull-billed Terns, that's exactly the difference and your photos show it very clearly. Once you've picked the difference it helps, but it can be still quite tricky in the field depending on distance and lighting etc. Photos are really the key thing to nailing which tern you have, from my experience. This was all new to me last year too, exciting once you work it out but can be very confusing!! We're lucky that both species turn up at Stockyard Point, so you have the comparison at least.

Love all the birds, and I hear you about the Cattle Egret, it's lovely when birds live up to their name!! 

Great work getting the Scalies, I do think they come and go from that spot, can't even imagine the noise with that combo of birds together! But its nice that they seem to be making a habit of coming back to that spot since its your local :)

The Brown Goshawk and Peregrine shots are great, love getting them in flight. You really made the most of your time at Phillip Island, finding all the best birding spots! That's awesome, I still have to tick the penguin off my list at some stage...might be time for a day trip or so.

sue818
sue818's picture

Great set of birds, Tom and so many lifers! I think that the Little Penguin would be my favourite as so cute under the boardwalk and I can just see you laying down to get that shot.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Nice photos Tom! Glad that you finally got to see the Scaly-breasted Lorikeets. Love the Little Penguins, I need to do a trip down to the Nobbies.

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Well done on your ID successes, Tom. Tricky tracking a peregrine falcon at a distance, at speed, in a big sky. I am not confident with the terns either, although your 'Australian Tern' has me checking out some of mine from earlier this year. 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Wow, it's been a while! Got a lot of photos to clean up and post, and a huge amount of catching up to do on everyone's progress :)

Also, has anyone else had a lot of trouble getting their password sorted out since the shift to Birdata? Took me forever to find a way through, and I work in IT!

Anyway, I just wanted to post these photos before I knuckle down to processing the rest, because I was so pleased to finally tick this one off.

124. Tawny Frogmouth. Lifer! I stumbled upon this pair while I was taking a lunchtime walk through Cranbourne Royal Botanic today, in the conservation zone. They were quite happy to sit and canoodle in the sunshine, and I was thrilled to be able to spend some quality time just staring at them :)

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Welcome back Tommy.

Birdlife login has sometimes been problematic from time to time, but I found if I persist, it eventually lets me in (without having to reset password). I mostly use the iPad for browsing BiBY and it keeps me logged in. Only when I upload from the computer or on the phone do I need to login again.

Great find with the Tawnies, they are such an awsome bird. Being nocturnal, they pretend not to be there during the day with that fantastic camouflage. Particularly love the one yawning. Great to see a pair together.

if you get back over the next weeks/months, they are quite likely to be in the same spot, that is my experience with them.

Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to your catch-up photos.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Stunning shots Tommy. Also love the yawning photo!

sue818
sue818's picture

Wonderful shots of the Tawnies, Tommy... got to love that yawn as it is a whole new perspective. 

I've had some trouble logging on as well especially with poor internet as we are travelling. Eager to see what else you have seen.

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Brilliant capture of the Tawnies, such beautiful detail and the yawn shot is literally golden!! Can't wait to see what else you've got coming :)

I've had a lot of issues with the log in since they changed over, multiple password changes, etc. Finally it seems to be resolved, but most times I come back to my laptop I have to log in again...which doesn't happen with other accounts. A bit annoying!

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube