Welcome to Birds in Backyards
Birds in Backyards is a research, education and conservation program focusing on the birds that live where people live. Get involved by becoming a member and taking part in our online surveys. Learn how you can create bird-friendly spaces in your garden and local community. Find out more about Australian birds and their habitats.
Our Backyard Bird and Schoolground surveys are back up and running! Check out their new look...
- From 21 March – 19 April, BirdLife Australia will be celebrating its annual migratory shorebird event, Farewell Shorebirds. We are challenging people from around Australia to head outdoors and reach a national target—a fraction of the distance travelled by a single shorebird over its lifetime. Do we as a nation have what it takes to walk, jog, cycle or swim as far as these incredible birds?
- Its that time again - time to watch your bird baths! Help us, in partnership with National Parks Association of NSW and the University of Sydney in our summer Bathing Birds survey. Register on www.bathingbirds.com.au
- Find out all about our discoveries with the Powerful Owl Project. Full report available now.
- If you are in a bush-fire prone area, check out our fact sheet: Bird-friendly gardening in APZ's.
- Check out our new videos on BIBY TV. Watch Eastern Spinebills, Superb and Variegated Fairy-wrens, Tawny Frogmouths and more...
About BirdLife Australia
BirdLife Australia is dedicated to achieving outstanding conservation results for our native birds and their habitats. With our specialised knowledge and the commitment of an Australia-wide network of members, volunteers and supporters, we are creating a bright future for Australia’s birds.
Check out our new website at birdlife.org.au.
- Bird Finder
- About Birds
- Featured Bird Groups
- Bird Anatomy: How do birds fly?
- Evolution: Feathered Dinosaurs?
- Birds as Learning Tools
- Birds as Indicators of Sustainability
- Conservation and Status of birds
- Natural Habitats of Birds
- The Urban Landscape
- Powerful Owl NestCam
- Watching Birds
- Birdy Blogs
- Your Space
- Creating Places
- Plant and garden
- Plant and garden links
- Plant and garden books
- Environment and conservation
- Urban planning
- Birds in Backyards