What can I do

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Honeyeater
Honeyeater's picture
What can I do

Hey

Unfortunately my cat caught a bird yesterday evening and as best as i can identify it, it is a Singing Honeyeater.

It has lost all tail feathers (and a little flesh from the area), nearly half of its wing feathers and a few other feathers around the place. No major injury.

I placed it in one of my many cages to see how it fared over night fully expecting the worst when i woke up. To my utter surprise and delight it is still going strong.

We have provided it with glucose syrup mixed in water, plain water and some grapes.

I would like to put it in the aviary with my cockatiels, budgies and canaries but am scared for the safety of all.

I would like to get it healthy again and then release it back into the neighborhood.

Can anyone please help me, I fear i am working on a time limit.

Thanks
AS

Holly
Holly's picture

Hi Honeyeater,

My advice would be to contact your local wildlife carers association or get it to an avian vet (who will then release it to wildlife carers). I believe that it is actually illegal to look after wildlife unless you are licensed.
I also believe that cat bites, even if not initially fatal, often result in the death of the bird due to infection.
In the mean time I would keep it very quiet and dark so it does not go into shock and provide some water. If you were going to provide food, I would get a nectar mix from a pet supply store as this will have all the nutrients needed.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Holly

Adele
Adele's picture

As Holly says, even if the injury is not severe cats carry lots of nasty bacteria in their teeth (more than dogs I believe), so the bird will need to be given antibiotics by a vet. Earlier this year the last of three magpie fledglings at our place was caught by a cat and died as a result of infection. The cut appeared minor from the outside, but by the time the bird was sick enough for me to catch it was too far gone and had to be put down.
So the sooner you get the little guy help the better. The RSPCA will be able to direct you to a local wildlife carer.
Good luck!

justahun
justahun's picture

Sorry, late reply but for your info:

Cat attacks can be particularly devastating to any native animal. A single cat bite can cause an enormous infection to the victim due to the large amount of bacteria residing on kitties' fangs. Therefore, the best thing is to call your local vet and have them administer an antibiotic ASAP as the longer one leaves it the quicker the animal's condition may deteriorate.

The vet can then contact a local wildlife rescue organization such as WIRES (Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service) in NSW of which I happen to be a volunteer rescuer/carer in. WIRES (for example) have trained people who can look after and rehabilitate (if possible) injured wildlife and have strong networks of carers and specialists for various animal groups.

Hope this is helpful.

BTW in NSW it is illegal to hold a native animal without a National Parks and Wildife permit.

Best wishes....

Subscribe to me on YouTube