I think this might be a spotted bowerbird, but not 100% sure.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Di Collins Kirley
Di Collins Kirley's picture
I think this might be a spotted bowerbird, but not 100% sure.

I had earlier noticed a collection of blue items in the scrub and said to my husband, there must be some bowerbirds around!

This little one was nervous and fast... The path we were on follows a golf course and in the middle is a 20 metre wide and lush, scrub verge. That's the area this photo was taken.  

I only had time to catch it once as it turned and went back the way it came. 

timrp
timrp's picture

It is a Buff-banded Rail.

In the future please include the location, as that can rule out a lot of species.

Di Collins Kirley

You are the best Timothy... I thank you so much! 

My husband does the research for me and thanks you too. :-)

Sorry for not including the Moreton Bay region for you! 

Di - Moreton Bay Coastal, Qld 

Gweruchickeninn

I second buff-banded rail :)

Di Collins Kirley

Thanks, Gweruchickeninn :-)

Elsie
Elsie's picture

A beautiful buff-banded rail :) Good job on catching it on camera! They're one of those birds that I find impossible to catch on camera other than a smudgy looking blur :P 

Di Collins Kirley

Thanks for your compliment Elsie. I was fortunate, the full-size photo looks really good and the detail is great! That's thanks to my Olympus OM DE M1.:-) I had time to select the shadow option, focus and click. Luckily I've set options to make it easier but in a mobility scooter, not much is easier... Lol!:-)))

A beautiful bird and a great challenge which I'll be out to capture again. Stay tuned...

HelloBirdy
HelloBirdy's picture

Yes, great phot of a usually quite secretive bird. You're really lucky to have come accross one in the open like that, Many people have to wait hours at a reliable spot to get even a decent look, Great find!

Ryu
Canberra
Aiming for DSLR-quality shots with a bridge camera

Di Collins Kirley

Sounds like I had a lucky break, Ryu. :-)  Too nice, and thanks for your lovely comments!

TheBirdLover
TheBirdLover's picture

Quite cool to actually see a Buff-banded Rail. It's a pretty good photo... and all the patterns on it come out really well. You're so lucky.

M.M.

Di Collins Kirley

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube