Leo's Big Year 2023

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture
Leo's Big Year 2023

Hello i’m Leo    let’s have a great year :-)

Edit by mum: Leo has decided to participate again this year. He has set up the bird bath camera himself.... starting off with 10 from home.

Devster
Devster's picture

Welcome again Leo. Wow what a great set up you have there. So many different species at on bird bath.

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

What a cool idea, Leo! Does the camera send the photos to a computer elsewhere, or do you have to take the camera and download it all?

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Thats very cool Leo! I hope you have a wonderful year. :)

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Welcome again Leo. Thanks for sharing your photos. You have some great birds there, and hopefully you will have many more.

HAPPY BIRDING.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Welcome again Leo. Thanks for sharing your photos. You have some great birds there, and hopefully you will have many more.

HAPPY BIRDING.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Leo says thank you! He has 3 new birds to add today. The camera takes an SD card so he brings it in and we look at photos on my laptop and he has to put it back again. He strapped the camera to the tree aimed at the bird bath so it will stay in that position.

He is very excited today as he got a Sacred Kingfisher which I haven't got yet this year. Plus he got the FIRST EVER Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo that we have ever seen on this bird bath. They are around often, but I have not seen one come up to the house for a drink.

11. Grey Fantail

12. Sacred Kingfisher

13. Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Love the Sacred Kingfisher, not a bird I would have thought to see at a bird bath. That birdbath is working overtime. Just fantastic.

Well done Leo.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

It's like Christmas every time you check the SD card. Great job

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks yes it is fun and it's paying nicely....

Two more for Leo today. He took the treecreeper photo using the P900 camera. It was on the grevillea above the bird bath but didn't stop to take a drink or swim. 

The bird bath camera caught a pic of a rare visitor to our place, the Noisy Miner. We do not see them very often at all.

14. White-throated Treecreeper

15. Noisy Miner

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Thanks yes it is fun and it's paying nicely....

Two more for Leo today. He took the treecreeper photo using the P900 camera. It was on the grevillea above the bird bath but didn't stop to take a drink or swim. 

The bird bath camera caught a pic of a rare visitor to our place, the Noisy Miner. We do not see them very often at all.

14. White-throated Treecreeper

15. Noisy Miner

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Great you have used the other camera to get that photo. Please keep your photos coming Leo, you are doing well.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

A kingfisher at the bird bath!? Awesome collection from just the one spot. Quite the experiment you have going here, Leo.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

The Sacred Kingfishers love the bird bath, they dive in for a full and proper swim, similar to the Satin Bowerbirds. 

Here's one more new one for Leo...

16. Double-barred Finch

sue818
sue818's picture

Well done, Leo and welcome back. You have a great selection of birds from your backyard. I look forward to seeing what else comes to visit the birdbath.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Wow thats so cool Leo! Love the Kingfisher and the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, what an awesome thing to see on your camera.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Leo, I am enjoying your photos, so please keep putting some more up.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

We just discovered the camera hasn't been working, I think might be the solar panel so I have removed that for now and reverted to batteries. This is the oldest trail camera that I have, so maybe it's time is up.... hopefully not, will see how we go.

Devster
Devster's picture

Oh that's sad. Hopefully you still get some life out of it.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Hopefully batteries will get it going again, would like to see more from Leo's birdbath cam.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Yes it has worked! Satin bowerbird visited this morning.

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Hurray! Is that new for the year? Number 17 then?

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Oh wow, a Satin Bowerbird, that's cool and amazing. Glad your back up and running Leo.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Well done, Leo. What a great bird for number 17.

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube