Sue's Big Year 2023

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
sue818
sue818's picture
Sue's Big Year 2023

Apologies for my tardiness but it has been a busy start to the year apart from some processing issues. I did manage a quick trip to Perth with my son who was despearte for a break. It was very very hot and the sun was quite harsh for a number of photos. As we only took cabin luggage on the flight, the camera gear was limited to one lens and camera combo so there are a number bird portraits ... I could not get back far enough for the full body. Just making a quick start to get on the board... back soon.

1   Hoary-headed Grebe... seen on Herdsman Lake in the heart of Perth, a great spot if you are over that way.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

I was wondering if you were going to join in. Glad you have. Look forward to more.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Dale, my new laptop has a problem with the latest update of the photo software but eventually I was given a work around until it is corrected. I was also planning a trip with a Canadian friend but a few hiccups have seen her time in Australia reduced... so numerous plans and changes. Still tweeking as my son may join us for a bit if we can find someone to house sit for a fortnight. It has been time-consuming to say the least. Then last night, I could not get back into BiB! So apologies again for not the best pics but we will be back in WA later in the year.

We drove down to Lake McLarty near Mandurah to try and find the Black-headed Gull reported there. However, a wrong turn into a dirt parking area (2 cars there) was rewarding as we found a little boy (4 years old) alone and in tears. He had lost mum and had no water so we stayed there watching as people he indicated as mum came wading out of the estuary... only to meet 2 men who had nothing to do with the lost child. Eventually, in the distance (via my long lens), I spotted an older boy and a lady walking back to us along the shoreline. An awkward conversation ensued as she was stunned that he had come back to the car instead of following his older brother as instructed. Obviously upset, she was grateful we kept him safe. Perhaps it was not a wrong turn after all. Returning to the road, we headed to the Lake. Very hot by now and the Gull was nowhere to be seen but there were a few birds to photograph.

2   Australian Pelican... flew over as I searched for the Gull. Lots of birds on the other side of the lake of course.

3   Eastern Osprey... spotted this huge nest as we drove to the lake so returned to get the pair.

4   Australian Pipit... there were a number of pipits in the fields as we drove out from the lake and back to the main road. The second shot shows the back well and the white edge to the tail but is from New Norcia (on an even hotter day!).

We decided to visit Mandurah but did not know about the giants so no pics of them! I did see a Western Spinebill but those sticks were too intrusive for a shot so next visit perhaps. There is a great waterside walk but it was really getting very hot with no cloud cover to protect us, so just a couple from here. 

5   Common Bronzewing... stayed in the shade before flying off so best i could do this time

6   Brown Thornbill... a very busy pair of birds were working the bush but it took some time to get a clear shot taht wasn't grossly backlit. 

From there, we returned home to our motel which also produced a few birds. There was water at the rear of the property but most of the birds were hanging about in the trees around the rooms and carpark.

7   Singing Honeyeater... not a great shot but I like the colours. The second shot shows the characteristics better and is from Mundaring Weir. More on that later.

Both of the following Dove species were introduced in the 1800s but the Laughing Dove is only found in WA unlike the Spotted Dove which can be found in all Australian states.

8   Laughing Dove... a real pleasure to spot these beautiful doves in Perth as I had only seen them further north. Two shots to show the colours and plumage. 

9   Spotted Dove... only saw the one at Herdsman Lake but a nice comparison to the Laughing Dove.

10   Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike... while following the bird for a photograph, it flew to a tree and hopped into this nest. I've included that shot plus a clearer one from herdsman lake as it displays the black face and throat.

11   Australian Ringneck (Twenty-eight Parrot)... note the red mark above the bill. So named for the call. This obliging bird flew into a thorny tree in the carpark and calmly waited as I lined up the shot. No problems with the stick here!

sue818
sue818's picture

I went for an early walk around Herdsman Lake before the heat set in (still hot and I forgot to take water!). This location in Perth supports a wonderful variety of birds. I missed a few shots of the raptors as they passed being too slow shift focus from lake surface to sky. There are some great walks and you can enjoy a coffe/tea on the verandah of the Discovery Centre while getting the latest tips on the birds. Some average shots but I'm late to the party so here they are:

12   Grey Teal... quite like the monochrome look to this shot and it shows the light neck and chin well

13   Great Egret... quite like the pose but i do have an improved shot to add later

14   Great Crested Grebe... numerous birds and young ones of various ages

15   Royal Spoonbill... dreadful light as it fed in the shade

16   Australian Shelduck... gorgeous large ducks which are numerous on this lake. A feamle and then a shot with her partner.

17   Eurasian Coot... quite a smart looking bird in that black and white outfit but the red eye is quite the finishing touch. i like the limited colour palette in this shot and the ripples.

18   Nankeen Night-heron... those annoying sticks were problem as it took off into a dense bit of scrub but I quite like the final shot with that eye checking me out.

19   Little Corella... really hoping for Western Corella but perhaps next trip. There were numerous birds about but I like the colous in this shot despite the leaves.

20   Little Black Cormorant... harsh light already but a typical pose with that beautiful eye

21   Black-fronted Dotterel... surely I can get a better shot but this will do for now.

22   Australian White Ibis... the right light and angle to show some iridescence on this fairly common bird.

23   Straw-necked Ibis... showing so much more iridescence as it strikes a pose for me

24   Australasian Grebe... showing off a 'fluffy bum' (as my friend calls them). Nice to see both species on the lake adn a nice comparison to bird number 1.

sue818
sue818's picture

The reason for Perth aside from just a holiday was to follow some of the family history. An ancestor of my husband was C Y OÇonnor, the Chief Engineer in WA some time ago and responsible for building the railways, Fremantle harbour and the water pipeline to the goldfileds of Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie. Therefore, we sought out his statue at Fremantle, visited the museum there and went to Mundaring Weir to view the pumphouse (the C Y O'Çonnor museum and the start of the water pipeline) and to see Lake C Y O'Çonnor. Of course, a few birds were seen along the way. 

It was very, very hot this day so we fled from there to Yorke to the car museum (for my son). Lightning strikes the previous night had even started fires as the land was very dry, unlike NSW!

25   Red-tailed Black-cockatoo... at the Weir, a lovely pair showing front and back markings. I think the female is the more attractive of the two. There were a number of them around just resting the shade as you will see with their wings loose from their sides but still calling so we could locate them.

26   New Holland Honeyeater... a pretty average shot with the sticks and heat haze.

Then a quick visit to Kings Park (but so many people and too hot again so just the one

27   Brown Honeyeater... a bit distant but really enjoying whatever these beautiful flowers may be.

Then a few from New Norcia where we hurried along a walk before entering the cooler buildings before the heat really built up. Very dry land out that way.

28   Yellow-rumped Thornbill... numbers of these little ones hopping about on the ground but the light was less harsh in the tree.

29   Willie Wagtail... a pair were hopping about in the shade of the building.

30   Welcome Swallow... not sure why this bird felt the need to sunbake in such heat! My final bird from this brief hot trip. I have a few more pics from the trip but hope I can get better ones elsewhere. My advice is not to visit Perth or WA in January!

sue818
sue818's picture

Now a few from the Sydney area on the one and only day that I have been able to get with the camera! Again it was hot and the suns was harsh as it was after lunch. hHowever, I enjoyed the lunch out and a walk with hubbie at the Olympic Park precinct in Sydney. a lot of portrait shots as only took the 500mm prime lens.

31   Pied Cormorant... not great in the harsh light 

32   Pacific Black Duck... a portrait of a smart duck

33   Australian Wood Duck... such a gorgeous couple but he was telling her off. In the first shot, You can see his 'mane' and why they might be called Maned Ducks.

34   Domestic Duck... a pair were photo-bombing

35   Australasian Darter... quite distant but I like the pattern of the plumage

36   Little Pied Cormorant... a poor flight shot in the harsh light

37   Black Swan... adult and a cygnet who wold not fit into the one shot

38   Dusky Moorhen... a young one 

39   Crested Pigeon... interesting to one with leucystic plumage

40   Noisy Miner... a different pose from a noisy individual

41   Australian Magpie...just a different view but the sydney black-backed one

42   Chestnut Teal... very harsh light so the colours are a bit odd

43   Black-winged (Pied) Stilt... I've lost track of the latest name! a young one in the shade. 

replacement/ extra number 13   Great Egret... waiting at the outlet from the pond for a catch (I think it might be a Mullet). The usual companions of Little Egret and Striated Heron were not present on this occasion. 

An extra from my walk. we saw four of these little ones posing one under the other on different bulrush leaves. Apparently, they are Eastern Dwarf Tree Frogs (litoria fallax) which is also called the eastern sedge-frog. Cute little things. 

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

My word Sue, you have a great assortment there, and have caught up nicely. Too many to choose a favourite bird, so my vote goes to the frog, nicely captured.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Dale, I must admit that the frogs one above the other were really cute. The Wood Ducks or the Red-tailed Black-cockatoos wold be my picks. Hopefully, with the long trip, I will have some interesting items to share.

michaelrt71_1
michaelrt71_1's picture

Awesome Sue! Someone recommended Herdsman lake to me last year, and I went there a couple of times in July - cool weather - dry heat of Perth in Summer is tough. I am little concerned the tilting swallow is dead - was it moving at all?

Envious of the crested grebe and the black cockatoos are my fave - what a lovely pair.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks Michael. I'm sure the Swallow was alive but what a time to sunbake. It was not the only bird species doing so which I found surprising. as hiding in the little bit of shade seemed a much better idea. The heat was exhausting and drained you of energy. Resting with plenty of fluid and salt/ sugar was necessary before heading home.

Herdsman Lake is a great spot but they are also cutting back the reeds to reveal more clear patches. So many varieties of bird at the right time of year. The Crested Grebe seem to be regulars. Nearby Lake Monger can also be good. I was just short of time and energy.

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube