Sue's Big Year challenge 2020

160 posts / 0 new
Last post
dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Thanks Sue, love the term shot. I also like the Bustards. A couple I have a small chance of finding, hoping to get out soon. Even your EBC shots  are great to see, some species I haven't had the pleasure to sight as yet.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thought you might like those shots. The Bustard is quite a tall bird at about 1 metre and tends to hold the beak slightly tilted up which makes it look even more stately. This pair hung about while I chucked a U-turn and came back on the other side of the road. Just think of all those new birds you can look forward to seeing sometime!

sue818
sue818's picture

Now for a few replacements which I hope are better than the original shots.

40   Common Bronzewing ... still with that annoying stick but 2 had already flown so this was the best I could manage. Taken in the Pilliga Scrub on the way to lunch at the pottery. It was tricky finding a safe spot to pull off the road after all the rain but there were a number of vehicles hurrying round the corners and not looking for pedestrians in the scrub... probably late for lunch! This does denonstrate why it carries the name.

63   Sacred Kingfisher ... a tasty centipede for lunch. There were a pair of birds feeding when we stopped for lunch beside a travelling stock reserve. Very interesting watching them diving to the ground to pick up something and returning to the branch to consume it.  Apologies for the sticks. We saw Sacred KFs in a number of places and I will post another shot in Best Photos.

75  Sharp-tailed Sandpiper ... a number of these were feeding at the Waste Water wetland in Lake Cargelligo but I managed to get quite close to this one as I walked the perimeter. There were other waterbirds but after all the rain some areas were not fit for walking unless you like gluey mud caking your boots.

116  Budgerigar ... very happy to get this shot as I had been seeing flocks of them for days as we drove but was unable to stop in time. I had spied a pair at the Wetland in Lake Cargelligo and suddenly they landed right in front of me. In the wild, you only see the yellow-green and not the fancy coulours bred for cage birds.

117   Cockatiel ... another from a different area of Lake Cargelligo. This one was checking out this hollow with a mate... it landed and poked its head right inside for a good look before departing.

122   Peaceful Dove ... from Putta Bucca wetlands at Mudgee, early before the heat and NO rain there. We had arrived at 8pm the night before and were leaving for Coonabarabran soon, so it was only a brief walk around. This one walked down towards me so I took the shot but would have preferred some more colour to highlight this pretty little bird.

126   Spotted Bowerbird ... from Warren. I was setting up for a better shot clear of the sticks when a couple of people walked up to me and spooked it. I heard them numerous times and places but no better opportunity than this and I could not locate a bower. It is a definite improvement on my first post!

128   Fairy Martin ... this group appeared at the roadside puddles after the rain to gather mud for their nests. It was interesting to see them select the area producing the most mud as the ground was too hard or gravelling in other areas. They certainly load up those beaks! An improvement on my EBC.

129   Yellow-billed Spoonbill (X 2 and a bonus Royal Spoonbill) from Tiger Bay Wetlands in Warren ... as Alex mentioned, these birds are often seen together. This was part of a larger group and I liked the comparison and lack of sticks! Being white, they can be a challenge to photograph in daylight without blowing out the whites.

154   Rufous Songlark from wetland at Lake Cargelligo ... these birds were singing and soaring everywhere... melodious trills and certainly living up to their name. I believe it is the male performing at this time of the year. 2 shots as I like the beak loaded with grubs despite poor light and the one where it lifts the wings to display that rump.

157   Australian Shelduck from wetland at Lake Cargellico ... two photos to show the resting male and the beautiful female with her white eyering. Overcast skies again and I could not get closer with so many ducks ready to lift off but a really beautiful duck.

sue818
sue818's picture

Apologies, Karen. I forgot about this request.  Go to https://tourism.lithgow.com/things-to-see-do/bird-watching/ and download the Map & Guide to Birdwatching. There are 19 sites for birding. I have found site 2 to 10 quite good but all depends on flowering and water.

You can camp in the Valley, stay in a variety of places in the valley (sorry but I have no suggestions) or there are motels in Kandos. There is also the Capertee pub which has rooms without private bathroom.

Devster
Devster's picture

Beautiful upgrades Sue. Very hard to pick a favourite as they are all so lovely

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Some lovely upgrades there Sue. Particularly like your Sacred Kingfisher (I've seen a lot of them recently too, but haven't managed to get this close - great shot!) and the budgie - awesome - I've never seen one in the wild, and would love to. 

sue818
sue818's picture

Oops, I have made a mistake way back at 53 which was relabelled as an immature Forest Kingfisher but is actually a Sacred Kingfisher according to the experts. See the original post 53 for the reasons. So now 53 is a double-up on 63! So I now offer:

53   Little Raven ... as ID'd by the experts as I just knew it sounded different. Fortunately, the camera was to hand while we had a tea break as the different sound drew me to the bird. It is so difficult to differentiate Corvids but the hackles and area brought it down to one of two possible ravens.

A few more Galahs from Coonamble.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Nice set of upgrades, and the new ones as well. I also like the budgie, and the Sandpiper. Thanks again for sharing.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

Thats an Awesome looking water tower. We have one with a Red-tailed Black Cockatoo on it,which is weird because we get the Yellow-tailed and Glossy Blacks out here but not the Red-tailed

sue818
sue818's picture

There are some great water towers and silos out there. The silo at Wirrabara in SA is awesome with lovely Red-capped Robins but the first one we saw was at Thallon in Qld. Some great artwork considering the size.

Devster
Devster's picture

I just looked them up ans wow, they look amazing. Such a great idea

sue818
sue818's picture

A few more replacements:

35   Great Egret... waiting at the outlet at Olympic Park ... I like the breeding colour

89   Australian Wood Duck... because I love all those ducklings seen in Coonabarabran

91   Double-barred Finch ... a much better shot from the Capertee Valley... such a tapestry

98   Nankeen Kestrel... also from the Capertee Valley and such a lovely coloured bird... named nankeen for a yellow-buff colour

131   White-winged Triller ... lovely male from the Newey Reserve in Cobar without any branches to obscure it!

135   Pied Butcherbird... from Warren to show it in full adult colour

That is it for now as I need to get out with the camera again and find those shorebirds.

Devster
Devster's picture

Great upgrades Sue. Love the green gape in the Egret

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oooh love that double-barred finch shot :-)  Such gorgeous little birds

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Some more great photos.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Firstly a replacement for number 82

Brown Gerygone ... I like this shot so much more. They were numerous on Saturday at Warriewood and were calling, flitting and hovering around the pathway. This one was especially curious abd afterwards I realised they had a nest just off the path and as usual it was small and very well camouflaged.

A few new ones which I was surprised to find that I had overlooked.

171   Australian Brush-turkey... the feet were buried in the pile of litter and it was too close to back off very far but I like the colour. The mound at Warriewood is huge and just beside a path so a sighting is easy. Cannot believe I had not included one before until I realised that I am not the only one, that should be an easy one for you Alex.

172   Eastern Whipbird... usually a bit difficult to get them in the open but they were everywhere and often working near a path so I had numerous opportunities.

173   Lewin's Honeyeater... another surprising ommission on my part. They are very common on the east coast of the mainland. Awful light and a camera problem but I quite like the moodiness anyway.

174   Little Wattlebird... another lighting problem but clear enough. Usually there would be many of them but not on Saturday as I dipped on a number of reliable birds. The gums are flowering everywhere in Sydney at the moment so the birds have dispersed. I saw only two Red-vented Bulbuls and one New Holland Honeyeater which is very surprising and, of course, did not manage a photograph.

175   Golden-headed Cisticola... an EBC that I have had since January when we were at Yackandandah! I'll post it and hope I can find another before Christmas.

Devster
Devster's picture

Love that Whipbird Sue. So hard to get them in the open like that. Also love your replacement of the Brown Gerygone. It's a beautifully framed shot. One I would be very happy with.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Dev. I was very surprised by the Whipbirds as they were quite visible and this one sat there for just long enough for me. Lovely to get one showing the colour. As to the Gerygone, very happy with that one. It is barely cropped and nowhere near full zoom (320mm at 1/500). A very cooperative little bird with no sticks to obscure it!

sue818
sue818's picture

One for Dale, a replacement 104 Tree Martins.... I was watching a cute bunch of juveniles sitting above my head in Burrima at the Macquarie Marshes when a parent swooped in to feed them. Really fast so difficult to catch the action and I did not want to hang around them too long.

Devster
Devster's picture

My Goodness Sue that is soo cute

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh I love the Tree Martins - lovely shot :-) 

The Gerygone is also fantastic - and the Whipbird! I spent 45 minutes o a recent bird walk stalking one - actually just witing motionless outside a bush as he called 2m away from me - but never once stuck his head into the open. Grrrr. They can be very frustrating birds, I'm glad you found a cooperative one. Lovely Brush Turkey too - nice result in low light!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Beautiful thanks for listing them for me. Lovely shots. I saw many Tree Martins the other day, they were just everywhere, but swooping/hunting, so no hope of anything remotely recognisable. I've got a few new species, but am having technical difficulties with memory cards (they appear on my camera, but don't all copy across the the computer). My tech wizard (26 yo son) will hopefully have some answers soon.

Loving all your photos Sue, thank you again.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Another few EBC shots to truly represent the birds that I have seen this year:

176   Australasian Darter... a youngster from Olympic Park in Sydney.... went without the long lens so this was the best I could capture but they are cute.

177   Channel-billed Cuckoo... flying across the house in Sydney quite often but never when I have a camera to hand. A pair landed so I had a moment to grab the camera as it set to grooming but poor light on an overcast day. Of course, it was a challenge getting through the palm leaves and onto the big Angophera behind so tinged a little green as well>

We managed a few nights away last week and went west but it was very hot so birding was confined to early morning and late afternoon but even then the temperature was 41°C at 5:30pm. Quite a productive trip as you will see.

178   Black-tailed Native-hen... from West Wyalong wetlands. Surprised me when it appeared but stayed quite distant and it was the only one I saw in the time there.

179   Nankeen Night-heron... again from West Wyalong wetlands where a pair surprised me by flying off. I had not seen them as I was concentrating on another bird so this is the 'whip up the camera and take what you can' shot. Never saw them again despite searching for where I thought they had landed.

180   Marsh Sandpiper... from Lake Cargelligo wetlands. We ventured out very early one morning to drive 150Km for a bird (post later) and then carried on to Lake Cargelligo... he went for coffee and I walked around the wetlands. Hard to get this lovely bird to stand out in such bland surroundings asd it was quite distant. That is it until I get some more pictures sorted but promising a few better shots to come.

Devster
Devster's picture

Well done Sue. Do the Native Hens usually have green on their bill or is that part of their breeding plumage? The Sandpipers have such dainty thin bills.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Dev. Yes the apple green is on the adult bill with red spot on the underside. Wish it had been a better picture as they are quite striking.

sue818
sue818's picture

Some more from our recent jaunt to the hot west.

181   Singing Honeyeater... wetlands at Lake Cargelligo and again the only one that I saw there. It was on the pathway with a group of birds comprised of young Common Starlings and a Rufous Songlark.

182   female Musk Duck... at West Wyalong wetlands. One of a pair of females with no male in sight. Awful light one day as it was late but wonderful light the next so i offer both as I like the wings up shot as well.

183   Collared Sparrowhawk   also at West Wyalong and mainly due to the noise of the other birds and its breakfast lying below it. I went back later to relocate it and parked around the corner. As I left the car, I heard it calling from the nest above me! What atreat although I left them in peace quite quickly. Of course, that was after I was attacked by ants when I used a small tree for support... silly me, look first! I did do quite a dance brushing them off my arms.

184   Brown Songlark...   Chat Alley out of Euabalong near Lake Cargelligo. As I was sitting on the ground it landed on the fence with breakfast and posed long enough for this shot. I quite like the bokeh in this one and the bit of colour on the grasshopper. There were a lot of Rufous Songlarks at the Lake but this one was clearly differnet apart from the lack of a rufous rump.

185   Orange Chat... the reason we drove 150km from West Wyalong to Chat Alley! I had looked on an earlier trip west but this time I was lucky. A few had been sighted earlier in the week but this morning the light was perfect when a male flew in next to a White-fronted Chat. Eventually, I just sat on the ground with the lens low on the fence wire for some support (having forgotten a tripod and a stool) and it flew closer and posed in anumber of positions. Made the whole journey worthwhile for me and my patient husband earned his coffee. No info sheet for Orange Chat. Did not expect to find this one, Dev!

sue818
sue818's picture

replacement for 140 Wedge-tailed Eagle... seen at Rankin Springs on a very hot day after a walk into a birding spot. Even backlit, it is a better shot than my previous effort!

Devster
Devster's picture

Very nice Sue, so lucky with the Goshawk (apart from the ants). Though I would have paid money to see the dance. lol. That Chat is simply stunning. I still struggle differentiating between the some of the larks and Pipits

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Dev... yes, I was lucky with the Sparrowhawk and the Chat. I'm sure my dance was amusing to anyone watching but cautious as I had encountered something a few days before which caused my wrist to blew up and a redness to spread halfway down my arm and I still do not know what it was. Also amazed that I had enough energy to dance considering the debilitating heat!

We are getting some great birds this year!

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh what a great set Sue - nice reward for some hot birding! The Songlark photo is great. Love the Musk Duck shots - they are pretty hard to get good pics of as they are dull dark brown and normally far away - you made the most of some good light there. And what a lovely encounter with the Sparrowhawk and chicks, you must have been really excited! 

Had to laugh at the ants - I've done the same, stood on top of a huge anthill while focussing on some small bird - and ended up with at least 1000 biting ants on me. I've never got naked so quickly lol. Glad you didn't get a reaction (or have to get naked in public)

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

And the Orange Chat! Awesome!

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks, Alex ... I was very happy with this lot. Quite a productive spot. A few improvements on previous photos.

40   Common Bronzewing from West Wyalong wetlands in NSW... just love the colour of this wing even if not bronze & no sticks in the way!

132   young Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo from Lake Cargelligo, NSW... seemed to have focus issue until I reallised that my glasses fogged up so missed a crisper shot.

160   female House Sparrow from Lake Cargelligo, NSW... dining off my car!

165  White-fronted Chat... a pair, female with grey head and male with the black hood from Chat Alley out of Euabalong, NSW

I also have some to post elsewhere so please look for them as well.

Devster
Devster's picture

Great captures Sue. I particularly like the WF Chats

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

I just love the Orange Chat, and the Common Bronzewing is so striking! Lovely shots Sue.

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks guys. Hope to have a few more soon as currently on the coast but think I have dipped on the Pectoral Sandpiper... was hopeful  but the pond is almost dry. I will, however, be carefully checking my pics of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers very closely!

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Some lovely upgrades Sue - that last White-fronted Chat is a cracker!

sue818
sue818's picture

I'd best make a start of it as plenty to post but unlikely to get all done tonight. Some awful shots and some great ones (in my opinion). A mega sighting to come in a day or so as I was in the right place at the right time. I will add detail to these shots if time permits.

From South West Rocks,NSW

186   Australasian Figbird... awful but definitive. Right on dusk and overcast and I never had a chance for another shot.

187   Brahminy Kite... as above. So distant but unmistakable.

188   Brown Honeyeater... very busy bird so best i could do... only a shadow from a stick

189   Brown Thornbill... finally got one out of the branches and leaves. Heard them everywhere but most were non-cooperative

190   Buff-banded Rail... as I came round the corner, there it was strolling along the path before diving back into reeds

191   White-cheeked Honeyeater from Cresent Head as we left SW Rocks for Port Macquarie. I like the glare in the second shot!

From Port Macquarie

192   Eastern Osprey... flew over the cabin late one afternoon when fortunately, I had camera in hand. Saw a few but very distant so pleased this one came through late in the day.

193   Black-faced Monarch... gorgeous little bird but deep in shadow in the rainforest. Those cicadas are having a bumper year and providing plenty of sustenance to the birds.

194   Common Tern... pretty sure of ID but ready to be corrected. Who is good on Terns?

195   Crested Tern... plenty of these about but no Little Crested Terns to be seen. They were fishing the river as something was sending a school of baitfish into a frenzy, leaping out in waves.

196   Green Catbird... a pair flew in and posed for me and meowed incessantly. Often heard but can be difficult to photograph in the rainforest.

197   Large-billed Scrubwren... a great little bird to see but often hard to find ... rainforest again

198   Little Corella... another one that visited the tree beside our cabin... numerous birds flew in but some were very dirty ...this was cleaner than most.

199   Rose-crowned fruit-dove... just for Dev, sticks! It finally moved to a decent spot but I had attracted a crowd who now stood in the way with social distancing so I missed it! The last shot was especially difficult to set up, it takes a lot of practice and requires good communication between me and the bird!!!

200   Spectacled Monarch... flew off before I got a better shot. Came back later in the day but the impending storm had sent the birds quiet in the rainforest.

201   Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo... another group visiting that tree... a male (with red eye-ring as Dev noted) then female but the male called constantly like a young one

From Taree as we drove home:

202   Cattle Egret... in wonderful breeding plumage. There is a large colony in Taree and theye were constantly flying back and forth with sticks.

203   Scaly-breasted Lorikeet... finally managed a decent photo at the rest stop in town!

A few replacement shots

young Black-shouldered Kite (29) from South West Rocks... love this shot, the colours and the eye and great bokeh! A striking looking bird at any stage of its life.

White-faced Heron (74) from Port Macquarie... wonder if it is a young one or fresh from a bath

Australasian Darter (176) from Port Macquarie

That is it for now but I promise a few interesting ones still to come.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

What an amazing set of pics Sue! That Green Catbird is gorgeous, and the Darter... wow!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Congrats on 200, a goergous range of birds, with some spectacular results. Thanks

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh wow Sue, what a great trip and set of photos! A few completely new birds for me there - while I'd like to see the scrubwren, the catbird and the rose-croned dove are just fabulous birds, I'd love to see them. Love your catbird shot, and I can just imagine your frustration trying to tempt the dove onto a sunlit clean perch! 

Looking forward to the rest - sounds like you have a special in store for us :-) 

Oh, and congrats on the 200! Lets go catch Dev :-) 

sue818
sue818's picture

Here I go again... fingers crossed because when I got to the last photo to upload, I hit the return arrow instead of the next Tab...did not have the energy to start over until now.

204   Satin Bowerbird.... seen today in the rain at Stanwell Park. The bower was just in front of my parked car so I could not miss him. Love those violet eyes and the blue-black sheen of the wet bird.

205   New Holland Honeyeater... finally found one after weeks of looking; Stanwell Park after the rain.

I dipped on finding the Crimson Chat reported in the area so it was rewarding to find two birds that I had been missing all year. I'll close this lot off before moving to the next.

sue818
sue818's picture

Now a few birds from the south coast where I went to find shorebirds.

Shoalhaven Heads

206   White-bellied Sea-eagle... an EBC as it was just too far away but clearly identifiable. Usually you can see them quite well and easily but none came very close.

207   White-fronted Tern... possible the same bird that Alex saw but I was not aware of that at the time. A nice looking Tern but always a bit of homework involved in getting the ID correct. Not sure whay this one is still here and not back in NZ as winter is well over. I have seen them in NZ but never in Australia so it was a first in a way.

208   Bar-tailed Godwit... a very cooperative bird that was on its own near the Crested Terns. There were quite a few on the sandbars but I could not see any Black-tailed amongst them. The second is a bonus, one of the few at Lake Wollumboola near Culburra.

sue818
sue818's picture

Finally some birds from Lake Wollumboola near Culburra in NSW. I'll start with some average shots as the light and wind made things quite difficult but I hope to finish with an interesting one. I am here again as my husband sent me back for another try... read through for the reason.

209   Red Knot... not sure why it has this horrible blue colour cast but cannot seem to correct. The bird is grey and I think the Red Knot has chevrons while the Great Knot wears love hearts!

210   Curlew Sandpiper... plenty of them around but within hundreds of birds it is hard to single out a specific type. Even that bill is difficult to distinguish in the masses.

211   Red-necked Stint... hundreds of these little ones feeding on the mud flats. They out-numbered everything else. Small bird but does have a hind toe.

212   Sanderling.... another EBC, a small bird but a little bigger than the Red-necked Stint and does not have ahind toe. There were not very many around so in the crowd this is my best.

213   Southern Emu-wren... an EBC as they would not come out of the pines and into the grasses for me. I went back the next day but by then all the birders had arrived and the Emu-wrens went quiet. My photo of the male with that lovely blue throat is even worse!

214   Eastern Curlew... first shot from the lake and flight shot from Shoalhaven Heads where I counted 45 on the sandbar. Suddenly, they all lifted off and I managed this shot for Dale.

215   Little Tern... they were quite a few nesting successfully at the Lake in a number of spots but I only saw a few at Shoalhaven Heads. Despite my being nowhere near the nesting area, they fly over piping at you. The front on shot is from Shoalhaven Heads.

216   Australian Pied Oystercatcher... there were a number at the lake and they had bred successfully but I cannot seem to find any shots of the young one. However, a flight shot for Dale.

217   Pectoral Sandpiper... the presence of a pair was reported the night I arrived so I was quite fortunate. Next morning, it obliged by being easily accessible while it chased flies on the sand.  as I have not seen them before as far as I know. Compare it with the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and the sharp demarction of colour between belly and chest I was stoked but it got better!

218  Buff-breasted Sandpiper... another lifer and a big one at that... Mega sighting on EBird as it is a Vagrant i.e. one that should not be here. I was watching when Jess discovered it and as he hunkered down and closed in for a photo. Kudos to him for recognising the bird. Word spread very quickly so the next morning, there were even more keen birders. I did manage some average photos and will post a few for interest. The vivid legs really stand out and the rather plain face and buff colour.

Of course, with all that expertise and all those eyes looking, it was no surprise when sighting of another uncommon bird was reported, a Broad-billed Sandpiper. It was there today but I have yet to spot it in the hundreds of birds. Fingers crossed for a sunny tomorrow and decent light followed by a bird or two up close ...one can only wish!

No ID sheets for the Pectoral or Buff-breasted Sandpipers. Thank you all for the comments on my pictures. What a great challenge this year has been.

sue818
sue818's picture

Replacement shot for #9 the male Superb Fairy-wren... from today in the rain

replacement for #189 Brown Thornbill

replacement for # 94   Grey Fantail

Bonus 162 Crimson Rosella because it looks a bit Christmassy... Merry Christmas to all of you.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh wow Sue, what an amazing lot of birds - you've been having a great time down the coast :-) 

I love all your shorebirds, and I'm gradually coming out of my state of total baflement with them, and starting to get to know some of them. But I haven't seen Knots yet, and how cool to see those great pics of the Pectoral and Buff-breasted Sandpipers. You really do need to know these birds well (and hopefully see them together with others to contrast them) to distinguish some of their differences. Copngrats on these rarer birds - a great sighting and excellent photos! Good luck with finding your Broad-billed 

And then some just lovely shots of the more common birds - thanks for posting. I sense your frustration with the Emu-wrens - gorgeous  creatures, but veyr frustrating for photographers! I've only seen them twice, and they didn't give me the slightest chance at a decent photo .I think you have to get very lucky - or go on a specific Emu-wren mission with a carefully located hide or camo chair etc. Their saving grace is that they are apparently highly territorial, so you can go back again and again to the same place and hope to find them there - so I might do that as an exercise next year, I'd love to get a decent photo of one. 

A question for you - when birding at Wollumboola, do you just park in Culburra and walk down the sandbar from the North? Is tide an issue? I might plan a day's birding down there over the Xmas break, it looks great. 

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Thanks Sue, glad I am in your thoughts, much appreciated. Some beautiful photos yet again. It's nice when you spot something unexpected, and that you have done over and over. Great finds.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

sue818
sue818's picture

Thanks guys. I will try to load some tonight but feeling a bit tired after 3 very early mornings and loads of walking in sand or wading in lake water. Need to get confirmation but believe that I have the trifecta.

Always think of you when I get a flight shot, Dale. I try to please.

Alex, most sightings of the three birds has been on the north side of the lake past the Little Tern nesting area on that side not the dune nesting area. However, they have been seen elsewhere around the lake. I have personally seen the Pectoral Sandpipers twice in another area with better views. Park in the car park near the lake (not boat ramp area); a good spot as toilets and a variety of tracks available to the area. You are not walking down the sandbar but rather down the side of the lake nearest the car park. At peak high tide, a bit of seawater comes over the dune but it is not breached from the lake side. The lake is supposedly not tidal but I think the level varies as tide goes out and suspect it is more than evaporation. So to answer the question, tide is not much of an issue but prepare to have wet shoes. Light is best early morning or late afternoon as expected and if windy, try around at the boat ramp in West Crescent. SMS me is you need more info if and when you get there. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Thanks Sue. My QLD trip got derailed (I work in Manly, and am subject to COVID insterstate travel restrictions - I had to cancel) so I might do a day trip this weekend - that is very helpful. 

sue818
sue818's picture

My husband sent me back 2 days later and, considering the current situation in Greater Sydney, it was well timed and likely to be my last outing. The numerous birders down at Lake Wollumboola near Culburra Beach practised social distancing pretty well except perhaps in one of the downpours when shelter was difficult. However, it was outdoors in pouring rain!

219   Broad-billed Sandpiper... achieved my goal and also spotted the Buff-breasted and Pectoral Sandpipers again but no better pictures. They were easy compared to this one. The downturn at the end of a relatively straight but broad bill was the clue followed by the double eyebrow if it turned the right way. Not an easy task with so many birds which were constantly changing position!

A few more to come and some improvements but sorting through all the shorebirds is time consuming and challenging. I posted one for ID and was embarassed to realise that I should have recognised it easily.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Love the rippled reflection, great photos yet again.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube