Tom's Big Year 2021

163 posts / 0 new
Last post
TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Nice walk today, along the Casey Aqueduct trail. Cool and still. No new birds, but I did get a replacement for 62. White-Throated Treecreeper.

sue818
sue818's picture

Nice shot Tom, good comparison to the female I posted.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

sue818 wrote:

Nice shot Tom, good comparison to the female I posted.

Absolutely Sue, your treecreeper was a lovely shot. 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Spent some time walking around Grants Picnic Ground in the Dandenong Ranges this morning. I was pushing a stroller :) so not many birds for me, but I did see a few Australian King-Parrots zipping around. An EBC shot but it'll do for now.

91. Australian King-Parrot.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

That's a nice close up shot of the Treecreeper Tommy!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Your Treecreeper is simply stunning. Getting some great results, thanks for posting.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Great Treecreeper pic Tommy! Mine are always blurry or I chop their heads off as the 'creep' up and around the tree trunks so quickly whenever I see them :-)

Devster
Devster's picture

Agreed Great Treecreeper shot. Looks like you managed to get fairly close

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Thanks all :) the treecreeper was indeed pretty close, only a couple of metres away. It was zipping around and around the tree but paused nicely a few times, which was lucky for me.

It's been a few weeks since I saw anything new, but today was a good day. Went for a walk around Lysterfield Lake.

92. Swift Parrot. Before I'd even left the carpark, I noticed people and cameras at the base of a tree... turns out there was a flock of Swift Parrots that had dropped in for a feed! My photos are terrible but do the job. Very happy to be there at the right time.

93. Musk Duck (female).

Devster
Devster's picture

Grats in the Swift Parrots. A bird I have yet to see or photograph

sue818
sue818's picture

Well done getting a Swift Parrot... they still elude me. You are finding some wonderful birds, Tom and so many lifers!

dannyka6
dannyka6's picture

Good job on the Swift Parrots, your photos do the job nicely and its cute how they seem to be looking right at you! They weren't super co-operative that day!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Hi Tommy, climbing ever so close to that century, I hope you reach it soon. Again, more Swift Parrots, lucky you, and all those up north currently enjoying their company.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Popped in to the Edithvale Wetlands bird hide today. First time I've been, and I'll be back for sure. Great set-up in a fabulous location.

94. Australasian Shoveler.

Devster
Devster's picture

Thats a cracker shot Tommy!

sue818
sue818's picture

Great shot, Tommy!

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Awesome job on seeing the Swifts! And love your Shoveler shot, I might need to head to Edithvale Wetlands.

sue818
sue818's picture

Stay strong and safe, Tommy

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Thanks Sue. It's not been a lot of fun, that's for sure. Still, I got my first jab a few weeks ago and I've got the second scheduled for August... it all helps!

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Oh, well done on the Swift Parrots, and love your Shoveller shot - good stuff :-) 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Bit of a bonus today... went out for my daily lockdown walk around the lake, and out on the island in the middle of the lake I saw no less than three Nankeen Night Herons! A lifer for me. The light was terrible and I had to go full zoom but it was worth it.

95. Nankeen Night Heron.

Devster
Devster's picture

Very Nice. How good is it to get more than 3 of them. Well done!

sue818
sue818's picture

Well done, Tommy and a great reward for staying safe. So pleased to hear that lockdown will be over soon.

You are almost to the century and so many lifers along the way. It must be fun.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Great work Tom, Nankeen Night Heron on my list, but it is a long drive to see them, last time I went that way, they weren't home. Your numbers creeping up nicely also.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Thanks all :) there were more Night Herons in the trees that I didn't even notice until I got home and uploaded the photos. Funny how they can be on your doorstop but not be seen for so long.

It's a relief to be moving out of lockdown, I must say. Most people are doing the right thing, sticking to the rules and that makes a huge difference. Sadly my daughter has had to cancel her planned trip here from Queensland because of border restrictions... but there will be other times. 

I got out for a walk today. Terrible light but I just wanted to make the most of the opportunity to get out and about :) so I headed down to the Cardinia Aqueduct Trail for a spell. Lots of people had the same idea, so it was pretty busy, which kept the birds away. But I did manage to get some terrible photos of a Varied Sitella... another lifer! And one step closer to the century.

96. Varied Sitella.

karentwemlow
karentwemlow's picture

Oh that's a shame about your daughter's trip, hope you get to catch up soon. Lots of plans going out the window lately, but we are lucky we don't have too much Covid community transmission as a result.

Love the little Varied Sittellas, and great you can get out and about for a walk.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Glad things are easing in Victoria, hopefully getting closer to the new normal. Another bird I am wanting to see. Not long for til the century.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Nice shot of the Varied Sitella, and the Cardinia Aqueduct can get busy especially over lockdown. 

Devster
Devster's picture

One day I will get to visit these places you guys soeak of. Glad you were able to get out and get a lifer at that! I love how your VS are different to ours up here

sue818
sue818's picture

Nice clear shot, Tommy. 

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

You are going well Tommy, inching closer to that century! Love the Nankeen Night Herons and the Sitella, neither of which I've seen this year. 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

There you go. After nearly 3 months of Melbourne lockdown and terible weather, I finally saw a new bird for 2021 :)

It's good to be back!

97. European Goldfinch

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Welcome back Tommy. Nice photo.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Thanks Dale.

Another couple from this morning, it's easy to see Spring is springing here.

98. Domestic Goose. I was worried it was one of the domestic ducks we often get on the lake, but this is clearly a goose.

99. Nankeen Kestrel. Terrible photos but I spent a good twenty minutes or so just watching this little fella hovering in the wind. So very cool and a lifer to boot.

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Nice one Tommy. Yeah, lockdown birding is hard. Have to enjoy what we've got in our backyards, I guess :-) Good stuff on the lifer, very exciting - and Nankeen Kestrels are such gorgeous little hawks, arent they? 

sue818
sue818's picture

Well done, Tommy... that grey head suggests a male Nankeen Kestrel. Welcome back. Wonderful that you managed some new ones under difficult conditions.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Pushing for 100, great going. Still to see a Nankeen Kestrel, so good to see someone else's!

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Devster
Devster's picture

Well done Tommy. I feel for you guys down there. Certainly musn't be easy

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Thanks all. Things are getting a little easier here but lockdown looks like it will roll on until the start of November. I've been out and about in my local haunts and seen a load of wonderful birds (taken some nice pics too) but nothing new for the Big Year.

But I've put a date in my calendar for mid-November... assuming everything goes according to plan and we can move around freely by then, I'm making my first trip to the Western Treatment Plant. I got my key in June :) very much looking forward to that! 

In the meantime, here are some upgrades because why not?

33. White-Faced Heron.

35. Eastern Rosella.

40. Black Swan. The local swans have had their yearly clutch of 4 cygnets and they are just wonderful!

61. Crimson Rosella.

66. Australian Reed Warbler.

79. Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoo.

12. Common or European Greenfinch (no factsheet).

sue818
sue818's picture

Some lovely upgrades, Tom.

I hope all goes well and you get to the Werribee. Seems the plan is in place so those vaccination numbers just need to keep going up. Fingers crossed. Stay safe and hope you hit the century soon.

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Nice shots Tommy. Hope you are going well. I wonder if you have had a look/walk at Cardinia Creek Parklands. 

I'm sure looking forward to be able to go further from early November.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

AbbyGrace wrote:

Nice shots Tommy. Hope you are going well. I wonder if you have had a look/walk at Cardinia Creek Parklands. 

I'm sure looking forward to be able to go further from early November.

I haven't but I do need to :) I've recently visited Troups Creek and River Gum Creek Reserve within our travel radius. Not bad, I'll be checking them again soon.

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Nice work Tommy, some nice photos. Glad you all can get a bit further out soon (hopefully). We haven't had a lockdown for a long time thankfully, but I can't seem to get out when the weather is nice.

Werribee is on my to do list, but don't have any other reason to come to Victoria at the moment, maybe one day!

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

Alex Rogers
Alex Rogers's picture

Some lovely upgrade shots :-) Yes, I really hope you come out of lockdown soon - seems crazy that we can come from Sydney to Melbourne but you can't travel freely! I'm planning to come down to Melbourne for business once we no longer have to isolate for test results on arrival - so let me know when you plan to go to Werribee, I'd love to tag along :-) and may be able to time it right. I think the migratory birds will be trickling in soon 

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

Alex, I think that can be arranged. :) Looks like our lockdown is ending earlier than expected too! 

I popped into Cardinia Creek Parklands this afternoon on Abby's recommendation. Just a short visit, I didn't have a lot of time but thought it would be nice to see what was there.

100. Black-Shouldered Kite. This beauty was hovering and swooping and having a fine time. Terrible photos heavily cropped but very happy with them.

101. Rufous Whistler (female). I'm pretty sure about this one but not 100%, and again the photos weren't great. Would love confirmation :)

So I'll be heading back to Cardinia Creek soon when I have time to wander around properly. Thanks Abby, I owe you one.

sue818
sue818's picture

Looking good, Tommy. Only on my phone but think it might be an immature B-S Kite and agree on female Rufous Whistler ID. Great to hear that Melbourne isvoming out of lockdown soon.

sue818
sue818's picture

Looking good, Tommy. Only on my phone but think it might be an immature B-S Kite and agree on female Rufous Whistler ID. Great to hear that Melbourne isvoming out of lockdown soon.

Congratulations on hitting the century!

dwatsonbb
dwatsonbb's picture

Another centurian, way to go. Some great birds there.

Dale Huonville, Tasmania

AbbyGrace
AbbyGrace's picture

Nice finds Tom. If you do go back, as you are heading into the walk veer right at the fork and you will see a bit of water in maybe 100m, I duck under the fence. At the moment there is about 5 or 6 Royal Spoonbill nesting there, I saw one with breeding plumage, I couldn't get any great shots but cool to see. I have also seen a pair of pink-eared ducks there too.

TommyGee
TommyGee's picture

AbbyGrace wrote:

Nice finds Tom. If you do go back, as you are heading into the walk veer right at the fork and you will see a bit of water in maybe 100m, I duck under the fence. At the moment there is about 5 or 6 Royal Spoonbill nesting there, I saw one with breeding plumage, I couldn't get any great shots but cool to see. I have also seen a pair of pink-eared ducks there too.

I saw the spoonbills when I was there, it was a real treat :)

Pages

and   @birdsinbackyards
                 Subscribe to me on YouTube